shape
carat
color
clarity

Difficult decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dcircle

Rough_Rock
I''m a poor medical student on a budget and I''m having difficulty deciding between two, seemingly very different diamonds.

The first is a J, H & A, VS2. I''ve been told that it will face up white and look good in a platinum setting since it is well cut, but I''m apprehensive about going that low in color.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1358849.htm

The second is a G, ideal cut, SI 2, slightly larger (by 0.04 carats), and about $500 more.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1292130.htm#

Any thoughts?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That's a lovely G and I doubt your eyes would ever be able to tell that it's not a H&A. In my opinion, it's the G hands down! edited* I just looked at the stone and it sure looks like a H&A to me. It's beautiful!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey dcircle! welcome to ps!
35.gif

i understand your dilemma, those are both nice looking stones!
3.gif

i am leaning toward the second one. i love the g/si2 combo, and the angles are nice.
you can also call wf and have them pull both stones to compare for you.
best of luck in your decision!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Belle, except to add that, based on the disparity, I was motivated to peek further; you might ask WF to look beyond their shelves and pull just one more; it''s perhaps down the middle between the two. Note, the two you picked are in house at WF, so their SI 2s are standardly "eyecleanish;" an SI1 like this one might not even be as eye clean as their hand picked SI 2. Then again, it could be better. Still, it''s an outlier, and either of your two birds in the hand are likely to be very nice.

Regards,

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
They both look as if they are beautiful stones -- you probably can't go wrong. I'd have Brian look at them side by side and talk you through them. He'll let you know what he thinks of the J color -- how that stone faces up. Since it's less $$, it's worth exploring. G is safer colorwise, and slightly bigger -- check out the visibility of the inclusions.

ETA: There are many happy people with J colored stones lately. LynnB just got a stunner and has comparison pictures next to her G colored stone. Computer pictures arenot accurate, but it may give you a feel for what a well cut J could look like. Do a search...

Jodi

Rough_Rock
I vote for the G!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
GGGGGooo for the G!
9.gif

Heather

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok here''s my take on these stones. They are both beautiful. I would have Brian pull them and give you his honest opinion. He has a great eye and I would ask him if the G SI2 is eye clean. The J VS2 looks like it is going to face up very white. If the G is eye clean then that would be my choice, but the J looks good too. See what he says and let us know how you make out. HTH.
1.gif

dcircle

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for everyone''s help. I ended up going with the J and it is beautiful. It faces up white and looks great in its platinum setting.

I am planning to propose with it Friday
emsmile.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that''s great, good luck with you proposal!!!!!! Let us know how it goes!!!!
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Awesome!
30.gif

Don''t forget to post a picture in Mara''s "J stones in platinum" thread, too!!!

Lynn

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
best of luck to you!

please post pics when you can.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh another awesome J!!!

There have been SO many this year.

hooray for J''s!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results