shape
carat
color
clarity

Differing lab reports on sapphire, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
A few weeks ago I posted some questions about a 3.29ct color change Pailin sapphire, and did end up buying it. (Original post) The good news is that the stone is beautiful -- very sparkly, vivid and a gorgeous violetish-blue. I took it to my jeweler and it appraised at three times what I paid, so I''m happy about that.

Here''s where I''m confused: It was sold as an unheated stone. The seller had it certified by AIGS and the Gemstone Brief Report states "no indication of heat process." Just to double-check, I had my jeweler send it to a local independent lab to have it tested and they say that the stone has actually been gently heated. They said that one of the crystal structures had been ruptured, but all the rest were intact, and that is a sign of gentle heating. They did say, though, that it is a natural sapphire with no other foreign substances or treatments, just gentle heating.

Which lab should I believe? I''ve read a few good things about AIGS on this board, so I thought it might be reputable. Does anyone know if what my local lab states about determining gentle heating is correct?

Because I don''t have a problem with gentle heating, and because what I paid was reasonable, even for a heated stone, I''m considering keeping it. But, since it was sold as unheated, is it fair to go back to the seller to discuss a discount? What would you do in the case of lab reports that don''t agree? (I do still have two weeks in which I can return it for a full refund.)

Thanks for your help.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was the name of the other lab?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You say that you paid a reasonable price for it, even if it was heated. And you said you really like the color and sparkle of the stone. So if I were you I''d keep it.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
tourmaline lover - it''s a local lab run by a GIA certified gemologist, not one of the big-name labs I see mentioned on PS. I''m picking up the stone/appraisal/report tomorrow, so I can find out the name then.

Stone Hunter - I''m leaning towards keeping it. I felt like I needed to post my questions, just so I won''t have any regrets or nagging questions in my mind if I do end up keeping it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results