shape
carat
color
clarity

Different understanding of cleanliness - how to address?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're on family holidays in a gorgeous place (small island).
We rented a charming house (1920ies, pink granite,beach vibe). House was recommended by friends who own a house on the island.
Upon arrival I saw that kitchen & floors were extremely gross. Decor is totally (!!)overloaded (I guess Marie Kondō would die just from pictures,) but not cheap. they artisanal / artsy.
We decided to stay, because it was s 6hr drive to the ferry and then 2 hours on the ferry, the day of arrival no more ferries back. No different places available on the island.
So I whipped out my emergency pack (solid bleach, new sponges etc.) and brought the place to an acceptable state of hygiene. Locked the bedrooms with the biggest issues down and enjoying the holidays. We did, however write an email stating the most glaring problems.
Will spare you the details of everything, but they just replied "sorry about that, but I hope those little imperfections don't take away from your holiday".
Hubby, who is less conflict averse than me said to just let it go, because we don't have a common ground/feeling for cleanliness to communicate at all with them. So this is a waste of energy.
I do see his standpoint and would generally agree. But how can ANYONE answer to a complaint about animal feces in a corner of a bedroom"those little imperfections"?

Should I try to explain/complain or let go?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I am sorry about what you are dealing with on vacation. That is unacceptable to me at least. I guess we all have different tolerances to issues in life but I am with you on this Kipari. Of course life would be easier if we just let so many things go but being in a filthy environment when one was expecting a nice clean environment on vacation is not pleasant or OK IMO.

I think that would bother my dh as well because he is big on cleanliness though he definitely is easier going than I am but I don't think even he would let that go. They should get a cleaning crew in there ASAP to make the house acceptable for your family and so you can enjoy the rest of your time there.

Short of that perhaps you can hire a cleaning crew and deal with billing the owners later? So you can enjoy the rest of your holiday in peace. Oh and make sure that you write a detailed and complete review about your stay there. People do read them and do place importance on reviews before booking places to stay on holiday.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on what your final goal is. If you are aiming to get some sort of credit applied towards the rent you paid then that's one thing but clearly they have a different standard and they are probably not going to see the light and change their ways at this point.

Maybe you are just looking for a simple apology, I would have immediately apologized if it was my house. Also finding animal feces in a corner is not an imperfection, it's a health hazard.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy for your kind reply, this is some good and practical advice.
I have arranged for the cleaning lady to come (the island is soooo tiny that there's no such thing than a professional service).

It's not about the money, but DH and I are just stunned how big the gap in personal perceptions can be. It seems not to be a question of money or education.... (owners are both doctors, houses here start at 1 mio $)...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on what your final goal is. If you are aiming to get some sort of credit applied towards the rent you paid then that's one thing but clearly they have a different standard and they are probably not going to see the light and change their ways at this point.

Maybe you are just looking for a simple apology, I would have immediately apologized if it was my house. Also finding animal feces in a corner is not an imperfection, it's a health hazard.

I guess you are right, Stephanielynn, probably I just wanted them ro acknowledge and subsequently change their ways for future renters. Seems highly unlikely, so time to let go...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for your own sanity you know? I totally understand being upset, I would feel the same and my husband would probably be the one saying to let it go!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, thanks so much foretting me vent and getting additional opinionsgirls!
Off to the beach now and time to free my mind!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you rent through Air BnB, VRBO, or another service like that? Or even if you went through a local rental agency I would reach out to them, with pictures, and see what they might offer too. I know reimbursement for the cost of the cleaning service is not the ultimate point, but it is at least something. And definitely an honest review, again, with pictures. I think a photo of animal poop in the corner would speak a thousand words!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately no service, but I have taken a few pictures....
Will definitely review to warn others!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes definitely don't let it drop. Lots of photos to show the problem, otherwise they will continue to dismiss your concerns as being over fussy.

If I'm paying good money to rent a property, then I expect it to be clean, and to me that is no dust, no debris, no hairs in bathrooms, spotlessly clean kitchen and toilets.

We recently rented a cottage for a week, and I can honestly say it was as clean as my home.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree about putting in a bad review. As for further communication with them, it seems there's no point as you've already told them. Vote with your feet and never rent there again.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think dog poop in a room would be universally defined as filthy.

I'd take pictures and leave a review, and I would definitely try to get compensation/refund for the cleaning fee.

FeFeV

Shiny_Rock
We rented a charming house (1920ies, pink granite,beach vibe). House was recommended by friends who own a house on the island.
Upon arrival I saw that kitchen & floors were extremely gross. Decor is totally (!!)overloaded (I guess Marie Kondō would die just from pictures,) but not cheap. they artisanal / artsy.
We decided to stay, because it was s 6hr drive to the ferry and then 2 hours on the ferry, the day of arrival no more ferries back. No different places available on the island.
So I whipped out my emergency pack (solid bleach, new sponges etc.) and brought the place to an acceptable state of hygiene. Locked the bedrooms with the biggest issues down and enjoying the holidays. We did, however write an email stating the most glaring problems.
Will spare you the details of everything, but they just replied "sorry about that, but I hope those little imperfections don't take away from your holiday".
Hubby, who is less conflict averse than me said to just let it go, because we don't have a common ground/feeling for cleanliness to communicate at all with them. So this is a waste of energy.
I do see his standpoint and would generally agree. But how can ANYONE answer to a complaint about animal feces in a corner of a bedroom"those little imperfections"?

Did you take any pictures to share with them? Animal feces?! That's far from a minor imperfection... That's an actual health concern. I demand that merchants ALWAYS respect our hard earned money, so if it were me I'd expect them to admonish a DEEP discount on our stay. I accept apologies in the form of cash, gift cards, or discounts. Threaten to leave a bad review or blast them on your heavily subscribed blog/social media. I don't actually have a blog or any form of social media ('cept Pricescope) but in the millennial era that we live in businesses fear negative internet presence for their brand. I'm not above contacting the better business bureau either. Poor customer service is a real Hot Point for me.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feces in the place is filthy. Everyone gave you good comment on this. You are not wrong or cra cra about the clean level.

And that reply you got, "little imperfections?" OMG, that would just SEND ME. Its like being patted on the head and sent to the corner.

I support your outrage at this. Also, my husband would clean it up and then completely forget about it (short of never going back there again) and be mad at me because I'm outraged and wanting to pursue it further!!! Which in turn would increase my annoyance and irritation:lol-2:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, that's terrible kipari; I feel like I'm going to lose my lunch thinking about the animal feces on the floor, that's disgusting. How someone could rent their home in that condition is beyond me. I would definitely at least send them the cleaning bill. I don't know, I'm a pretty easy going person but it really bothers me that they have the last word on this. At least when they get the bill they'll know you didn't view these issues as minor imperfections. The nerve.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider asking for a discount roughly twice the cost of cleaning & sternly recommend the same provider at the updated fee ...

The eventual reviews may contain similarly practical recomendations: e.g. verify that cleaning service has been called for before your arrival, etc.

Admitedly, I haven't even head of this sort of thing, since sleeping over in mounteneering shelters: OK, there could be worse in those - not always - but at least the previous inhabitants were not human ... and use is free !

Last edited:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

What is obvious to me is that they did not check the premises before they re-rented it. Who ever heard of people not checking that. That is their obligation to do so.

I would write an email stating that you do not consider your complaints minor, in fact the place was so dirty that if another place had been available you would have taken it.

I would ask for a credit because money Is the only thing some people understand. You can never correct something unless the person knows its wrong and definitely not minor. I check peoples responses to appliances, tvs ,ect. and found them helpful. I complain to the company as well.

A few companies I have given up on ATT, Comcast. Others I plow on.

Annette

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might forgive floors/counters/walls not being AS clean as you expected, because of the 'different understanding' of cleanliness (I mean, you carry bleach, you sound like the epitome of cleanliness!), but feces? Thats honestly disgusting. I would be so grossed out by that. I think you'd be very just in asking for a credit/refund back. Ugh. It makes me feel all *squicky* just thinking about it. And I'm not even close to a neat freak :eek-2::errrr:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might forgive floors/counters/walls not being AS clean as you expected, because of the 'different understanding' of cleanliness (I mean, you carry bleach, you sound like the epitome of cleanliness!), but feces? Thats honestly disgusting. I would be so grossed out by that. I think you'd be very just in asking for a credit/refund back. Ugh. It makes me feel all *squicky* just thinking about it. And I'm not even close to a neat freak :eek-2::errrr:

This.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a VRBO then you can write a review that includes your concerns. I did it once with terms like: This place reminds me of a hotel I stayed at in Fl - when I was in college... if you are adverse to falling over rug that is ripped and not there then this is the place for you!!! I recommend this place to anyone who is going to Austin for South by Southwest and they want a place to just sleep, not shower... I rated the place a 3 star... if you rate a place 1 star then the owners have their own site to badmouth you.

I always travel with a swifter, bleach cleaner, paper towels, and windex.

Sorry about your bad experience.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="It's not about the money, but DH and I are just stunned how big the gap in personal perceptions can be. It seems not to be a question of money or education.... (owners are both doctors, houses here start at 1 mio $)...[/QUOTE]

The poshest, richest woman I ever knew was so filthy at home you wouldn't believe it. She was so beautifully pressed and turned out that you wouldn't know it from her appearance, but she was such a slob. She admitted that she cleaned her bathroom once or twice a year, and when I visited her place, it was always dirty and messy. She was just allergic to housework and living in a mess didn't bother her. At all. Probably had the strongest immune system this side of the Rockies. And she was so moneyed and well-connected, and very smart, too - an educated high earner. It was a total mystery. She seemed like the kind of person who'd have a beautiful home.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fecal matter in the house? That's a major health hazard. I would demand they cover the cost of a deep cleaning!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for chiming in, everyone!

Update: we have had the place cleaned, but since I'm not sure if we get the additional money back (additional 200 € to the 2.5 k € rent /week ), I have asked the cleaning lady only to clean the part of the house we are using (ground floor , first floor, we weren't going to the second floor at all).
Cleaning lady told us that there's no cleaning scheduled for Sunday, when we were supposed to leave before 1 pm and the new renters come in at around 3 pm. Sooo this is apparently their business model and just unacceptable. We're opening a formal case with the local authorities ( they are advertising the place on the local tourism board's site)...

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok no cleaning between guests is just disgusting. Thinking of those bed sheets is making me itchy.

Please report them and leave reviews to save someone anyone else from staying there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results