shape
carat
color
clarity

Different Cut Prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigWilly98

Rough_Rock
Why does it seem that the cut of the diamond (princess, pear, round, etc) also influences its price. I see 1 Carat Princesses for the same price as a 1.3 carat Pear diamond for roughly the same quality all around and the same with round diamonds. Is a princess cut more expensive than a pear cut and a round cut the cheapest? I dont know what my g/f wants but I think those three look nice? Anyone else notice that princess is more than pear and pear is more than round?

thanks.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... shapes are priced differently allright: it is mostly about fashion, but also their different size for a given weight (see surface versus carats). Princess cuts happen to be plenty and popular (possibly secondafter rounds) so they are sometimes priced higher. Princess cuts are also object to (more or less arbitrary) branding - you see those ''ideal cut'' and ''very good'' cut words that may well cost cash. And then, even for the same shape, weight and grades (exclusding cut grading since it isnot as standardized yet) prices vary allot between shops and among stones. A search through the database will show that...

It just so happens that pears are both large for their weight (on average somehow) and less expensive per carat than other shapes. Ovals, marquizes and emerald cuts are in the same situation. There might be slight average differences between ovals, pears and marquizes and perhaps emerald cuts are towards the bottom of that range. I must say this is an old impression and I have not been tracking these numbers systematically.

Now, it may bethat the pear looks like a good catch comapred to thatprincess, but look among pears too - if not done already. And it may bethat other factors add up (say, different lab reports).
38.gif

Comparing different shapes as you did sounds like a great idea. It is not often done because people often start their serach (at least here,on the forum) with a certain shape in mind. And this is perhaps why there is some room for ''optimization'' left there
2.gif

Just my 0.2 worth, as usual
1.gif

BigWilly98

Rough_Rock
So in general, if I understand this correctly Pear shaped diamonds are "cheaper" per carat than "princess" cut diamonds?

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Yep. And emeralds are cheaper "per carat".

I agree - that you''ll find that different shapes "per carat" are different pricing. I was also under the impression that this has to do alot with what is currently desirable and in fashion "right now".

Apparently though, rounds - usually are the most expensive per carat - and stay that way (I guess the round shape stays in style.. or is more "classic"... and is always in demand..)

It''s a hard business to generalize me thinks

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I was recently reading in a book
34.gif
about diamonds that rounds are usually cheaper than princesses at very small sizes because they are easier to cut and there are a lot of them. It said that as size increases, rounds become the most expensive cut (in general, all else equal) up to about 3 carats at which time fancy shapes become more expensive. The justification the book gave for this was that when people want to spend money on a large stone, they often think that a large fancy does not look as pretentious as a large round. Just thought I'd share, I'm sure others will have different opinions.

BigWilly98

Rough_Rock
It just seems so ridiculous that the shape/cut of the diamond determines it''s price/carat (for the most part). It almost seems that if she likes a bigger rock say get a 1.3 Carat Pear for the same price as a 1.0 Carat Princess! Where are these diamond pricers I''m going to have a word with them
emsmilep.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The % of rough recovery, cutting time/difficulty, starting rough shape and consumer demand also all play a role in pricing.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
To answer all .....

Prices on various shaped diamonds are based on quite a few factors. In addition whether rounds are more or less is partially factored by who is selling it.

Diamond cutter by uncut diamonds based on the weight as far as the pricing is concerned. However when looking a a rough diamond, the cutter or whom every is buying the stone(s) has to know if he buys a 3 carat piece of rough how much weight will he be able retain.

As for cost... round diamonds after thay are cut will sell for the highest price ( with specialty round cuts/ super ideals etc ) having a premium above that.

Diamonds that are used for fancy shapes are usually cut from mis-shaped diamond rough which sells for less.

So why do some people sell fancy cut shaped stones for more than rounds and why do sell some for less.

Here it basically has to do with an individual financial decision of who is selling. Round diamonds are the most popular. So when a jeweler goes to buy diamonds, he knows he''ll sell the round stones quicker than the fancy shape ones. But the stocking jeweler know he has to have some inventory in fancy shaped stones for consumers to see. So even though he pays less for that shape, many sellers actually charge more because they aren''t as fast moving items as the round stones.

Some retailer sell for less. But there are many who practice both ways of thinking.

In addition, there is like with most products the factor of supply and demand. In recent years square shapes and rectanguler designs have become very popular. So demand increases but supply shrinks with results in some adjustment of the pricing.

This actually a little more complex than I''ve described and there are always individual exceptions to the rule, but hopefully this post explains a bit of the whys for you.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results