shape
carat
color
clarity

Different color yellow gold?

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I just got married a few days ago! :kiss2: However I think I’m going crazy…my wedding band looks like a different shade of gold than my engagement ring. My engagement ring says 18k PT 950, and the wedding band says 18k. What does the 950 mean in relation to yellow gold? Does this mean it’s platinum covered in yellow gold? In real life the wedding band looks slightly pinker than the engagement ring, which I’m not sure if I was able to capture in the photos.

As much as I’m a “he put this on my finger and it’s going to stay there forever” sentimental kind of gal, I think the color difference is really going to bug me and I’m willing to replace the wedding band if the metals really are different!

Any advise would be great!

IMG_0787.jpeg

IMG_0786.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0791.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your recent marriage!

The 18k 950 on your engagement ring should mean that it is made from 18k (shank) and the 950 signifies platinum for the head that the diamond sets in.

It is possible that the two gold rings were alloyed with some different metal creating a pink look to the band. Were they bought from the same store where you could go and ask them about the difference? It is slight but if it bugs you, make the change.

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your recent marriage!

The 18k 950 on your engagement ring should mean that it is made from 18k (shank) and the 950 signifies platinum for the head that the diamond sets in.

It is possible that the two gold rings were alloyed with some different metal creating a pink look to the band. Were they bought from the same store where you could go and ask them about the difference? It is slight but if it bugs you, make the change.

Hahah duh about the 950! :doh: My bad! Yes they were purchased at the same store which is why I assumed they’d be a perfect color match and didn’t even think to check/compare. I’ll definitely be heading back there to ask about it…is this a thing where they can essentially refinish my existing band, or would they need to create a new one? Thanks!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 18K gold is 75% gold and 25 % alloy. The alloy can be different between the rings. Refinishing the wedding band probably
wont change the color (but ask what they can do).

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
The 18K gold is 75% gold and 25 % alloy. The alloy can be different between the rings. Refinishing the wedding band probably
wont change the color (but ask what they can do).

Got it, thanks! I’ll keep my fingers crossed, but expect that I’ll need to get a brand new one :wall:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I don’t think that the polishing will make a difference but do pay the jeweler a visit!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Got it, thanks! I’ll keep my fingers crossed, but expect that I’ll need to get a brand new one :wall:

Since you bought both from the same place and they are both the same 18 karat yellow gold, I think it’s very reasonable to expect that the colors would match. They should offer to make the change for you free of charge, if you need a new band.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think the slight color difference between the two bands adds interest. Just another perspective on it fwiw. :)

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Since you bought both from the same place and they are both the same 18 karat yellow gold, I think it’s very reasonable to expect that the colors would match. They should offer to make the change for you free of charge, if you need a new band.

I hope so, though I’m not too optimistic since I bought the band over a year ago and am currently wearing it on our honeymoon!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Personally, I think the slight color difference between the two bands adds interest. Just another perspective on it fwiw. :)

I definitely had that thought, but unfortunately my brain can’t handle the verrryyy slight difference in color! My husband (! First time writing that out!) said they look like the same color to him, so it makes me think I’m going crazy seeing the two colors :loopy:. If they were more different I could see myself leaving them as is!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope so, though I’m not too optimistic since I bought the band over a year ago and am currently wearing it on our honeymoon!

Jewelers don't necessarily MAKE all of the rings they sell so it could be that your engagement ring setting was purchased from one vendor by the jeweler and the wedding band purchased from another vendor. That would explain the color difference in two pieces of jewelry that he sold. I am sure he will work with you to rectify the situation. Sorry this is weighing on your mind on your honeymoon!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Jewelers don't necessarily MAKE all of the rings they sell so it could be that your engagement ring setting was purchased from one vendor by the jeweler and the wedding band purchased from another vendor. That would explain the color difference in two pieces of jewelry that he sold. I am sure he will work with you to rectify the situation. Sorry this is weighing on your mind on your honeymoon!

Good point! Both rings have the jeweler’s name/company engraved, but the engagement ring was from the vintage/antique collection (OEC mounted by them). I’d rather be preoccupied with this rather than think about a major work thing I’m missing out on (I just knew the announcement would happen when I’m out of the office!) hahah…at least I know this is fixable, since it’s a simple gold band!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Good point! Both rings have the jeweler’s name/company engraved, but the engagement ring was from the vintage/antique collection (OEC mounted by them). I’d rather be preoccupied with this rather than think about a major work thing I’m missing out on (I just knew the announcement would happen when I’m out of the office!) hahah…at least I know this is fixable, since it’s a simple gold band!

Oh, that explains it then! Maybe just kindly request a trade-in with whatever restocking fee might be reasonable. I’m sure they’ll work with you.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, the fact that one is vintage/antique and the other isn't explains it to me. I figured they were made by different companies, as @MissGotRocks mentioned, but even if they were made by the same company, decades apart, that could explain it as well.

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! I’ll be heading there in a few weeks and will report back. Now to focus on the pool, beach, and a few drinks! :D

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Is there any chance they just need to be cleaned or polished? I recently brought a sentimental 18k YG bracelet to a jeweler to be lengthened and was stunned at how different its color was from the 18k chains the jeweler had available -- until he steam-cleaned (?) my bracelet. He did something to it that took around 20 seconds and it came back super shiny and lighter in color from the patina being gone. Then his chains matched it much better and we were able to do the repair. I'm hoping that's all it is for your lovely rings!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Is there any chance they just need to be cleaned or polished? I recently brought a sentimental 18k YG bracelet to a jeweler to be lengthened and was stunned at how different its color was from the 18k chains the jeweler had available -- until he steam-cleaned (?) my bracelet. He did something to it that took around 20 seconds and it came back super shiny and lighter in color from the patina being gone. Then his chains matched it much better and we were able to do the repair. I'm hoping that's all it is for your lovely rings!

The wedding band is brand new/has been sitting in a box for over a year, but I’ve of course been wearing my engagement ring since November 2022! I’m almost hoping it not a cleaning issue, as I like the slightly more yellow color of the engagement ring more!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
18k gold is an alloy and 6 parts ie 25% are other metals. The colour of the gold can vary depending on the composition of that 25%, the additional metals can be silver, copper nickel or palladium in varying proportions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results