shape
carat
color
clarity

Different Color Topaz Rings

Discussion in 'Colored Gemstones' started by hosshog34, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. hosshog34
    Rough_Rock

by hosshog34 » Nov 25, 2004
    My girlfriend wants a ring and she said it was a coniaq(not sure if that is spelled right) topaz ring. She said it is an orange color kind of like a citrine, but it is a topaz. She saw it at a jewlery store, but she doesnt remember which one she saw it at, or what town she was in while she saw it. Has anyone ever heard of it or seen one. If so could you please give me some info on what it is and where to find one. Thanks[​IMG]

2. pyramid
    Ideal_Rock

by pyramid » Nov 25, 2004
    Just a consumer and have not looked for topaz before. I am venturing that she meant cognac topaz and the colour would be the same as the cognac drink.

I know in the UK they sell Royal Cognac diamonds on QVC which is their branding on champagne diamonds or brown diamonds and are therefore a lot lot cheaper than clear diamonds but I believe that topaz which is a yellow/brown colour is more expensive than the treated varieties of blue topaz and can get expensive.

3. bstraszheim
    Brilliant_Rock

by bstraszheim » Nov 25, 2004
    Hey there,

I searched on www.gemsuite.com and although I did not find any yellow/ orange/ congac topaz, they had some beautiful yellow/ orange/ congac sapphires : http://www.gemsuite.com/gallery/?/gallery/sapphire_-_yellow_to_orange/ One benefit that this has is that the sapphire has a hardness of 9 as opposed to the Topaz''s hardness of 8. Gemsuite may also be able to locate a congac Topaz that is not listed on their website.

Good luck with your search.

Bridget

4. mogok
    Shiny_Rock

by mogok » Nov 25, 2004
    Hello,
    Take care with brown orange topaz (cognac or whatever people call it to sell it better...)
    Natural colored brown topaz is subject to color fading. It means that if you submit the stone to light the color will slowly vanish as this color is due to color centers that are not stable under normal weiring conditions.
    It means that this is a noce stone that you have to give care: Take her out at night if the light is sweet, the stone color will not go in one day under these conditions but repeat weiring under a bright sun will rapidly wash the stone color.
    This stone should so be cut for maximum brilliancy and scintillation...

All the best

5. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by canuk-gal » Nov 27, 2004
    Hi:

Here are a few pics of my "citrine" pieces; pendant and earrings. >20 yrs old, color of "light" maple syrup, two different cuts. Good luck on your search.

cheers--Sharon

Citrine1.JPG

6. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

7. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

less blurry, earrings

Citrine 3.JPG

8. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

last, pendant again

Citrine 4.JPG

9. bstraszheim
    Brilliant_Rock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.