shape
carat
color
clarity

Different Carat Gold on Same Finger?

T

talamasca

I've fallen in love with this Beverley K eternity band which is just stunning and I'd love to wear it as my wedding ring, but it is in 18ct WG and my engagement ring is in 9ct WG!

I know that you aren't supposed to wear different weights of gold on the same finger as obviously the harder one will eventually damage the lighter one, but exactly how long would that take and what sort of damage are we talking about?

I'm desperately trying to find something similar, even if it's just with diamonds in 9ct, but there's nothing with the alternating bezels (single round stones in each) with the millgrain as well!!! I've asked a jeweller for a quote, but I think it's going to be way more than I can afford.

Should I contact someone in USA to make it in 14ct WG - would that be better/last longer than 18ct or should I not risk it and just find something else in 9ct?

Pink Millgrained Wedding Band.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Very bad idea. My mother's wedding band was switched at a jewellers when she had it resized - they gave her a 9kt instead of 18kt. Within 5 years her engagement ring was completely destroyed - literally the whole side was worn away and she had to have it completely remade.

She was very lucky not to loose stones.

Unfortunately one of the problems with 9kt is that it's a hard gold and so not as easy to work meaning that certain designs are far less likely to be produced. If you had 14kt and put it next to 18kt it would be less of a problem, but 9kt next to anything other than 9kt is a nightmare if it's for anything other than occasional wear.

Could you get something plainer for now and maybe upgrade your e-ring setting to 18kt in a year or so?

T

talamasca

:shock: :shock: :shock: OK definitely won't be mixing 9ct with anything else!!!!

I am actually thinking of upgrading my e-ring to 18ct at some point, especially after trouble with the jeweller not producing the lovely high shoulders I originally wanted!

But it will be a while before I up-grade, may be for a wedding anniversary and I'd really like something similar to be going on with. I'll see what quote I get from the jewellers (obviously a different jeweller to the one I used for e-ring!) and also try some similar styles on in shops.

Thanks Pandora

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Ah - this is interesting coz I hadn't considered this issue at all! :errrr:

I have a 14k ering to be hopefully worn with a 22k wedding ring. Maybe I need to get a spacer...? :???:

T

talamasca

natsplat|1312889893|2987088 said:

I have a 14k ering to be hopefully worn with a 22k wedding ring. Maybe I need to get a spacer...? :???:

By the sounds of it, yes! Is 22ct quite soft?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
talamasca|1312892564|2987094 said:
natsplat|1312889893|2987088 said:

By the sounds of it, yes! Is 22ct quite soft?

Very! My second wedding ring is 22ct (I got married with two - blingy curved band that matches my e-ring and a plain gold band) and I wear it on its own.

I think you will find few jewellers prepared to make a ring that detailed in 9kt.

Btw, you might be better sticking with your e-ring jeweller - at least they know your parameters. Almost no-one takes a loupe to their jewellery or notices things we all would and so unless you are paying the kind of prices Leon Mege charges you won't get that kind of quality.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear any gold jewellery 22K and upwards as the sole item alone on the finger.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think you can get a 18K spacer to wear between your ering and the BevK ring. This would probably look okay if the spacer sits flush with your ering and visually disappears. Otherwise it might be too busy looking.

Later down the road, you could get your ering remade in 18K, and choose to not wear the spacer.

T

talamasca

pregcurious|1312943835|2987672 said:
I think you can get a 18K spacer to wear between your ering and the BevK ring. This would probably look okay if the spacer sits flush with your ering and visually disappears. Otherwise it might be too busy looking.

Later down the road, you could get your ering remade in 18K, and choose to not wear the spacer.

That sounds like a great idea. I hadn't heard of spacers before PS!

I'll try on a similar ring to the Bev K with a spacer and my e-ring and see how it looks :D

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I don't mean to threadjack but my e-ring is 14k white gold and my wedding band is 18k. Do you think that will pose any problems?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results