shape
carat
color
clarity

Differences between GIA and PGS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeff0514

Rough_Rock
I am shopping for a diamond and the place I haves been looking at uses PGS much more frequently than GIA for certifying diamonds. They tell me that they feel PGS is as strict as GIA, but costs less and they can get the certifications completed more quickly. Any input? Or would I be wise to ask specifically for a GIA cert?

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
do you mean AGS? AGS also very very good

jeff0514

Rough_Rock
No, PGS. I believe it stands for Professional Gem Sciences.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like just another gem lab. with a resident GIA G.G.

http://www.partypop.com/Vendors/1129689.htm

Stick with GIA or AGS certs and know what you are paying for.

jeff0514

Rough_Rock
The latter link (www.progem.com) looks like the correct web address for PGS. The sample grading report looks the same as what I've seen at this jeweler.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
They are very reputable. The lab is directed by Tom Tshey, the official inventor of the SI 3 grade.
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PGS and Tom Tashey are just about as close as a small lab can get to being a GIA credible lab. They are super folks.

I wrote a published article about creating an SI3 grade if it would could do anything to reduce the subjectivity of grading BEFORE Tom came out with it in his lab, which was then EGL, Los Angeles.

My intention was to make the clarity grading of diamonds less subjective, but the SI3 grade as it presently exists has done nothing in terms of creating objective grading. It has helped a to subjectively define upper and lower GIA grading in I1 diamonds.

The work I am involved in with Imagem, Inc. still is within my original goal of taking the subjectivity away from diamond grading. Keep looking, as the new day of less guesswork is quite near. www.imageminc.com

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my opinion stick to ags and gia in that order.

Or send it to an independant appraiser that you are paying and is working for you not the seller.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Re. PGS Lab

They are highly respected in the trade.

Many jewelers and dealers do feel that that they are as strict and consistent as GIA.

I would prefer a GIA or AGS cert but only because of the consumer awareness level of the big two.

You can often times get a quality stone at a discount (less than GIA or AGS) because the "owners" do not want to tie up the Stone (4 to 6 weeks) in the GIA lab.

Do not pass it up because it is a PGS report.

Brian

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brian,
Welcome to pricescope.

I noticed on your website you talk of pgs certs.
Have you had them grade a diamond that either before or after was graded by gia or ags?
There also isnt a sample cert for them like the others.
What information do they supply, just the basics like gia or do they provide cut information?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Their website stinks
1.gif
, and though I haven't seen one in a couple of years I think the report is like an AGS report.

I happen to agree with both of you...a GIA or AGS report helps protect the consumer's investment since in case of a resale that is what a buyer would expect. But for buying only, I've heard enough good things about PGS that it wouldn't bother me. Probably depends on how expensive the stone is as to whether I'd complain.

Maybe you can get the seller to discount the stone by the cost of a GIA report. That would be the cost to him of the time he saved
1.gif

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi strmrdr

Thanks for the welcome.

I don't have any examples of the full report from PGS, but I did find a link (PDF) to a sample report.

http://www.progem.com/Pictures/Cert.pdf

BTW, PGS is the only lab I know of that will make any reference to the hearts & arrows effect.

Brian

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl thanks.
I do like that they give the angles and the report is nicely laid out.

I had actualy looked into them a little when I was looking for independant appraisers in IL.
It just didnt register untill I saw the address.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tom and Myriam Tashey are fine people.
Tom has an excellent reputation as both a lab director and a gemologist.
In their local market they are as respected and esteemed as Dave Atlas and AGA are in the local market they predominantly serve.

These labs are quicker and charge less so often dealers will use them when the business they are doing is mostly with local jeweleres who know and respect the local lab.

You have nothing to worry about with such a cert.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results