shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference of garnet types

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Guys, anyone can talk a bit more about what’s the difference between dragon garnet, imperial garnet, lotus garnet?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
It is all pretty much a marketing ploy, just like Malaia Garnets vs... God, I pay so little attention to the multitude of Malaia Garnet marketing names I forgot. They are all Malaia Garnets including "Dragon" & it is the pink one ones and purplish pink that demand to most money and attention.

Just a second please, while I look it up, LOL.

I'm sorry, my mind is a blank. Had too much fun tonight, which fun spelled backwards is, nuf.

I can say this though, please do not get suckered in by trade names. Only by rare color.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Thx Fred. Don’t want to be fooled by names, that’s why I asked. Looking for nice rough instead of faceted stone. Do the more orangish ones value less?

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
It is all pretty much a marketing ploy, just like Malaia Garnets vs... God, I pay so little attention to the multitude of Malaia Garnet marketing names I forgot. They are all Malaia Garnets including "Dragon" & it is the pink one ones and purplish pink that demand to most money and attention.

Just a second please, while I look it up, LOL.

I'm sorry, my mind is a blank. Had too much fun tonight, which fun spelled backwards is, nuf.

I can say this though, please do not get suckered in by trade names. Only by rare color.

Mahenge Garnet!

I remembered!!! LOL!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thx Fred. Don’t want to be fooled by names, that’s why I asked. Looking for nice rough instead of faceted stone. Do the more orangish ones value less?

Orange as in compared to Mandarin Garnet (Spessartite)? Yes, if that is what you mean. They'll be cheaper but the orange just does not approach the neon of the best Mandarin Garnet. But, if the stone has a mix of red/orange, what can be called blood orange, then those stones are more expensive, especially without gray in them. The drawback is these Garnet's shift color in different lights. The best color is in sunlight, stunning, while under LED light they can go copperish. Depends on what you like. Everyone is different.

To be honest if you want orange or blood orange, buy a nice spessartite. They don’t shift to brownish or copperish and are beautiful in all light. That is the top color ones.

Also, unless you trust the rough dealer as there are some popular dealers here that show the rough and then cut the stone upon request, I'd buy a stone already cut. You know what you're getting then.

This Malaia Garnet here while it could be cut better has that blood orange color. Though I've seen them more intense, they are becoming much harder to find like this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results