shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference in price between VVS1 & VS1 in a fancy cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All, how much of a price difference is there, in general, between a VVS1 and a VS1 if two fancy-cut diamonds are equal in color (D) and cut (excellent)? The only major difference other than the clarity is the size difference. The VVS1 is 0.20 ct. smaller than the VS1, but more expensive so I thought I could offer a lower price, but I would need to know what percentage more is fair on a VVS1 over a VS1. Maybe the VVS1, though smaller, is justifiably more expensive due to the rare quality of the clarity.

For example, the 1.37 ct. D/VS1 is priced at $6080 per carat and the 1.17 ct. D/VVS1 is priced at $8119 per carat. Keep in mind these are the same fancy shape, both with equally excellent cuts. Do you think this pricing is fair for the 1.17 ct. or would a lower offer on the 1.17 ct. be appropriate? The only reason for prefering the smaller stone over the larger one is the length-to-width ratio being slightly more pleasing to me. Thanks!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The difference will not be noticeable to the eye because both will be completely eye clean. I personally go for the VS2-SI2 range because it''s clean and affordable!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 6:43:14 PM
Author: kcoursolle
The difference will not be noticeable to the eye because both will be completely eye clean. I personally go for the VS2-SI2 range because it''s clean and affordable!
Agree, except for step cuts. Those "usually" need to be VS2 and up.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
The difference will not be noticeable to the eye because both will be completely eye clean. I personally go for the VS2-SI2 range because it's clean and affordable!
I'm more concerned with l-to-w ratio than eye-cleanness. In this particular shape, ratio is important. I like the ratio on the VVS1 better. I suppose I could make an offer that is closer to the price of the larger diamond and see if he goes for it.

To be fair, the smaller, more expensive diamond is already set in a simple yellow-gold solitaire setting, so I should take into account that that is worth something.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:22:49 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade

I''m more concerned with l-to-w ratio than eye-cleanness. In this particular shape, ratio is important. I like the ratio on the VVS1 better. I suppose I could make an offer that is closer to the price of the larger diamond and see if he goes for it.

To be fair, the smaller, more expensive diamond is already set in a simple yellow-gold solitaire setting, so I should take into account that that is worth something.
Length to width ratio has to do with how the diamond is cut, it has nothing to do with clarity.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I realize that. My original question was about price, not about eye-cleanness which is what you were addressing. I was only explaining that I was interested in the more expensive one over the less expensive one because of the ratio, not the clarity. I have an SI1 that is eye-clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 9:42:13 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
I realize that. My original question was about price, not about eye-cleanness which is what you were addressing. I was only explaining that I was interested in the more expensive one over the less expensive one because of the ratio, not the clarity. I have an SI1 that is eye-clean.
Are these both GIA graded NEU?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VVS usually has a big price premium because they are more rare. So you certainly should expect the VVS1 to cost a god bit more than the VS.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks DS, that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure if the $2000 per carat price difference was extreme or not. I have been looking around and it seems as if it is pretty standard. I just needed you guys to confirm. It's not like comparing RBs!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results