shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference in cut for lab vs Mined?

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Hi! I wrote a month or so ago about getting a ring from Jonathan (I still have no idea when it’s happening, maybe early 2021?)..

Anyway, I was browsing diamonds on the site (and probably drooling over them, let’s be honest), and I noticed something that appears to be a difference in cut, or perhaps photography. Can someone tell me what makes the lab diamond look so different from the mined one? Is it just the picture and lighting, or a variation in cut? The lab one appears to have a kind of ring around the center (appears like a very thin white outline around the center)? I know these images are very magnified as well.

Thank you! 7D08E040-015C-44D0-9F4F-0D49B57F9457.png

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a photo of the mined one you see it as looking different to the lab one? I would want to see them next to each other and also check they've got the same proportions as it may be due to the table size etc you're seeing rather than the material it's cut from.
Although in saying that, Yoram has a number of posts on his IG talking about the differences he sees in mined vs lab diamonds so there may well be something there too!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Table on lab is 46% and is 49.3% on the mined one.

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
It looks almost like a fisheye to me.... but there’s no way, right? I can’t imagine my bf paying for an AVR and getting one with a dead center right? I didn’t even know that was possible. I hope it’s not possible be my BF wouldn’t even know to look for that. I have my hopes up for this gorgeous sparkly perfection with no light loss, but I mean, at least the most recent lab ones show what appears to be light leakage. This 1.38 one and a 1.62 one.

Last edited:

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 I want to reach out to you as well since your AVR seems to be the gold standard of mined AVRs! Do you have any ideas what this may be that I’m seeing in these lab diamonds?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
The holes you pointed at are reflections of the Culet. No fish eye. The mined stone doesn’t have a Culet and that’s why it doesn’t have these holes. If your bf orders a custom cut you probably can request a stone with or without a Culet. Otherwise these stones were most likely cut by different cutters. They both are avrs but even avrs can differ especially from cutter to cutter - but they all have great light performance. On your finger in a 1.5 carat size I think it would be hard to really see a huge difference between two slightly differently cut avrs.
I am a bit wary about the stria that some lab diamonds exhibit. But lots of people have said it doesn’t make a difference. Maybe @muesli can chime in as she also has an AVR mmd which is beautiful!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! Sounds like it will be beautiful either way - the lab ones don’t come with AGS reports, rather they come with IGI and it’s hard to tell much of anything about light performance. From what I have read, the kozibe effect is partially the charm of the old cut. I like both with and without cutlet from what I can tell from diamonds on this site.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
The mined one appears to be an AVR (August vintage round) and the lab his latest vintage cut (that I LOVE) :).

Mine is an AVR, feel free to ask me anything you'd like and I'll do my best to answer:).

do you see the stria you saw on the macro videos you had seen before you saw your beautiful diamond in real life? God love your AVR soo much! Do people notice that is has a different cut than the usual MRB (especially because youre in Europe)?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
do you see the stria you saw on the macro videos you had seen before you saw your beautiful diamond in real life? God love your AVR soo much! Do people notice that is has a different cut than the usual MRB (especially because youre in Europe)?

In some lighting conditions I think I might see some faint lines if I look super-carefully (I'm myopic and a bit obsessive about details for what it's worth).

It doesn't bother me as it's not visible when wearing it, all I see is beautiful sparkles, it's really marvelous to look at!
Even my not-into-jewelry-at-all fiance stop what ever he is doing just to look at it hahaha.

I absolutely adore it's, almost chameleon like, ability to reflect different colours depending on your surroundings. If I'm in the forest it's green and if I'm at a pub with dark wooden walls its amber.

Here it's bluish:

20201125_153700.jpg

People have commented that they really like the flower petal patterns and that they think it's very pretty :).

I don't think I can go back to MRB's (might change who knows?), I'm thinking of getting small OEC's for my wedding band, if possible:).

Last edited:

muesli

Shiny_Rock
In some lighting conditions I think I might see some faint lines if I look super-carefully (I'm myopic and a bit obsessive about details for what it's worth).

It doesn't bother me as it's not visible when wearing it, all I see is beautiful sparkles, it's really marvelous to look at!
Even my not-into-jewelry-at-all fiance stop what ever he is doing just to look at it hahaha.

I absolutely adore it's, almost chameleon like, ability to reflect different colours depending on your surroundings. If I'm in the forest it's green and if I'm at a pub with dark wooden walls its amber.

Here it's bluish:

20201125_153700.jpg

People have commented that they really like the flower petal patterns and that they think it's very pretty :).

I don't think I can go back to MRB's (might change who knows?), I'm thinking of getting small OEC's for my wedding band, if possible:).

Just want to add that the stone is very crisp and bright, it is similar in both clarity and colour to my mined MRB F VS2.

The only time I *might* see what I believe is stria, is in a specific angle in a certain light with it as close to my eyes as possible. Then and again I can see faint lines in my MRB too so what do I know? :D

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Just want to add that the stone is very crisp and bright, it is similar in both clarity and colour to my mined MRB F VS2.

The only time I *might* see what I believe is stria, is in a specific angle in a certain light with it as close to my eyes as possible. Then and again I can see faint lines in my MRB too so what do I know? :D

Thank you for your input!!! This is great information. What is the difference between the AVR and the heritage? I’ve never seen a comparison side by side and assumed they were the same. I believe my bf did order the custom lab Heritage OEC (which I told him to order bc I assumed it was basically an AVR)! I’m excited to see this now, and hope he proposes sooner than later!! I’d be interested to see the differences side by side in a video or something!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
The mined one appears to be an AVR (August vintage round) and the lab his latest vintage cut (that I LOVE) :).

Mine is an AVR, feel free to ask me anything you'd like and I'll do my best to answer:).

What do you think about the proportions of these? Is one more Preferable? I think the 1.38 is the most fiery and sparkly but what do I know ... it has the chunky bold flashes. But the 1.62 has a great spread.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your input!!! This is great information. What is the difference between the AVR and the heritage? I’ve never seen a comparison side by side and assumed they were the same. I believe my bf did order the custom lab Heritage OEC (which I told him to order bc I assumed it was basically an AVR)! I’m excited to see this now, and hope he proposes sooner than later!! I’d be interested to see the differences side by side in a video or something!

It’s the same. I think the name AVR had to be changed to heritage because of copyright issues

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
It’s the same. I think the name AVR had to be changed to heritage because of copyright issues

Ah ok. That’s what I thought initially but then the cut seemed a little different... although now I think that’s just bc some AVRs don’t have culets.

Does having a culet/kozibe affect the brightness of the stone facing up? Is there a “trade off”, for lack of better words?

muesli

Shiny_Rock

I'm happy my ramblings were helpful :D.
Oooooh I'm very excited for you! It's going to be stunning!

I assumed that what differentiated them was the more apparent kozibe?
Mine doesn't have that effect but I would love to compare them side by side too. I think it's lovely!

What do you think about the proportions of these? Is one more Preferable? I think the 1.38 is the most fiery and sparkly but what do I know ... it has the chunky bold flashes. But the 1.62 has a great spread.

Oh I'm really not qualified to advise you on proportions but I'm sure you'll get valuable input from the lovely people here :).

Have you thought about how you'd like to set it?

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
I'm happy my ramblings were helpful :D.
Oooooh I'm very excited for you! It's going to be stunning!

I assumed that what differentiated them was the more apparent kozibe?
Mine doesn't have that effect but I would love to compare them side by side too. I think it's lovely!

Oh I'm really not qualified to advise you on proportions but I'm sure you'll get valuable input from the lovely people here :).

Have you thought about how you'd like to set it?

Yes! Jon and I worked on a design for the setting and It’s going to be in a cushion shaped halo. The boyfriend will be directed to the setting when he decides to buy! Here are some renderings... bf is clueless with all things jewelry, so I knew working with Jon would be a win win (in addition to the absolutely beautiful diamonds!!) because he won’t take advantage of his cluelessness like some brick and mortar places might.

curious if anyone has any input re the stats of the diamonds. It doesn’t appear that The video links are working right now (maybe it’s just my phone).

Attachments

• DAD94482-73A9-4079-BE77-F92C8C9BF1E4.png
    DAD94482-73A9-4079-BE77-F92C8C9BF1E4.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 12
  • FCA2F975-815A-4D7A-BBD7-3CB30B8DCA4C.png
    FCA2F975-815A-4D7A-BBD7-3CB30B8DCA4C.png
    198 KB · Views: 11
  • F52C4402-8351-4088-9D1D-4B6A5C0DBA27.png
    F52C4402-8351-4088-9D1D-4B6A5C0DBA27.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 12

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Yes! Jon and I worked on a design for the setting and It’s going to be in a cushion shaped halo. The boyfriend will be directed to the setting when he decides to buy! Here are some renderings... bf is clueless with all things jewelry, so I knew working with Jon would be a win win (in addition to the absolutely beautiful diamonds!!) because he won’t take advantage of his cluelessness like some brick and mortar places might.

curious if anyone has any input re the stats of the diamonds. It doesn’t appear that The video links are working right now (maybe it’s just my phone).

Ooooooh it's gorgeous!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Maybe your setting will be totally custom, but sometimes with settings like that there is a slight range of stone sizes that can fit in the halo. Might want to check with Jon. Because if you're going to have the same overall finger coverage with the halo it might not make sense to pay for a larger stone. Just my 2 cents!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Ooh I just was watching one of the Instagram posts from October 30, and it says they are now cutting the custom OECs to GIA OEC specs but optimizing for ideal optics. Perhaps that is why some have culets and some don’t. I hope mine does! Waiting is definitely awful!!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Maybe your setting will be totally custom, but sometimes with settings like that there is a slight range of stone sizes that can fit in the halo. Might want to check with Jon. Because if you're going to have the same overall finger coverage with the halo it might not make sense to pay for a larger stone. Just my 2 cents!

Good point! I do think it’s totally custom, but I’m not entirely sure.

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Ok I am being nitpicky and slightly obsessive while waiting ... is this a reflection of the girdle or the pavilion showing through the table, the ring around the middle? I am not sure what I’m seeing. Can someone with knowledge of old cuts advise? Thanks! Will it be ok? 9649A8EE-44E8-4CFA-9978-0940ED528C60.jpeg F5F013CB-60D4-41E4-890C-FB6A8AF4936F.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results