shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between thin & med girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glenn925

Rough_Rock
I have found a diamond that rated a 1.8 in the cut advisor...But the rating is based on a vg polish and med girdle,,,The diamond I am interested in has a thin girdle,,,but an exc polish & sym!!! It is an H&A diamond...Should I worry about it having a thin girdle??

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Glenn, Thin girdle is not affecting beauty of the diamond. Tolkowsky described his ideal diamond with Extremely Thin - Knife Edge girdle.AGS ideal proportions allow Thin to Slightly Thick girdles.The only problem with a thin girdle is a higher chance to chip it.As for better polish and symmetry, it shouldn't hurt you at all
smile.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In an otherwise proplery cut stone, the thin girdle will have little adverse effect on durability and will have no effect on appearance. A thin girdle combined with a shallow crown angle contributes to a decrease in durability allowing girdle chipping and larger breakage to more readily occur.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Oldminer. If I'd know that you are around, I'd better shut up. Thanks so much for your help
smile.gif

glenn925

Rough_Rock
WOW,,,you guys are FASSSSTTTTTTT!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A thin girdle gives max spread and reasonable protection against chipping.
Very thick girdles have little impact on beauty - but a big impact on spread because there is additional weight at the thickest part of the stone.
Garry

imback

Rough_Rock
a thin girdle is virtually NO DIFFERENT than a medium. it is no more or less appealing,has NO effect on the beauty or brillance, and is absolutley NOT more likely to chip more than a medium, AND it is quite unlikely that even well experienced diamond appraiser could look at a diamond girdle and be certain whether the GIA would call it a thin girdle or a medium....THE DIFFERENCE is EXTREMELY microscopic.
but for those who are enthralled with such minutia, a THIN girdle is generally prefered, similarly to a very small or no culet being prefered.

imback

Rough_Rock
a thin girdle is virtually NO DIFFERENT than a medium. it is no more or less appealing,has NO effect on the beauty or brillance, and is absolutley NOT more likely to chip more than a medium, AND it is quite unlikely that even well experienced diamond appraiser could look at a diamond girdle and be certain whether the GIA would call it a thin girdle or a medium....THE DIFFERENCE is EXTREMELY microscopic.
but for those who are enthralled with such minutia, a THIN girdle is generally prefered, similarly to a very small or no culet being prefered.

imback

Rough_Rock

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
What I've read most is that Very thin to Extremely thin girdles are to be avoided in fear of chipping during setting or daily wear.It seems reasonable to me-diamonds are expensive and there are so many out there (in general). I would prefer to err on the side of safety.lawmax
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Good link Leonid-that information is not so easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results