shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference b/t VG polish/VG symmetry and Ex polish/Ex symmetry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
Is there that much of a difference (other than price)between a diamond that has very good polish and very good symmetry when compared to an excellent polish and excellent symmetry? Is the difference noticeable to the naked eye? For example, does the lower polish and symmetry make the diamond look smaller or duller? :confused:

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Read http://www.goodoldgold.com/symmetry.htm

The first 4-6 AGS grades cannot be seen with the eye.

So no, it does not matter except in your mind. If you are going for visual impact/dollar ratio, it would not be a good place to spend money.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You cannot distinguish Good From Excellent polish with the naked eye.

Excellent Symmetry is something you might appreciate. E.g. Hearts and Arrows diamonds.

or Hearts and Arrows viewer.

See also ideal-scope: symmetry.[/u][/u]

2carrots

Rough_Rock
Does that mean that an EX/EX rating is not worth the money? Should I buy an D VG/VG diamond over an E or F EX/EX diamond that is the same price and all other things are equal?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
All I'm saying is that EX/EX alone doesn't tell the whole story.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/15/2002 3:06:15 PM

Does that mean that an EX/EX rating is not worth the money? Should I buy an D VG/VG diamond over an E or F EX/EX diamond that is the same price and all other things are equal?
----------------

Well, not really, because you cannot tell the difference between D and E either!

If you can go from a "G" to an "F" it is sort of nice because you can know it is labeled "colorless" instead of "near colorless." And going from SI1 to VS2 is jumping to the next level on paper.

In theory anything beyond G and eye-clean SI1 is not worth the money from a visual point of view. But I opted for a high grade because it was a gift. If I bought it for myself I would still buy the best cut but go down to lower colors and claritys (maybe I would still want to be at H-VS2 because I own a microscope and like to use it).

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Well, not really, because you cannot tell the difference between D and E either!
----------------

Good point, RS. Although we will see the difference in the price!

2carrots

Rough_Rock
In other words, are you telling me that I should stick to F and VG/VG and save my money?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
2carrots, no one can tell you what YOU should do :) These are just some personal opinions/considerations.

Selecting a diamond depends very much on personal taste, budget and priorities. G color maybe white enough for me but you might see the difference with E and it could bother you...

Try to look at different stones: D-E, F-G, H-I colors, ideal and average cut, excellent and very good polish, etc. Then you'll decide what suite you best.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all for your advice. I took at look at two stones today, one w/ VG polish/VG symmetry and one w/ Ex polish/Ex symmetry. With almost identical proportions, the stones had the following stats.:

Stone #1
Round
1.6 ct.
D
VS2
VG polish/VG symmetry

Stone #2
Round
1.5 ct.
F
VS2
Ex polish/Ex symmetry

The price difference on the two stones is only $400. After taking a look at the stones today, I could see a difference between the two after looking at them with the naked eye for about five minutes. Under the loupe, I couldn't see the inclusions in stone #1, but could see them immediately in stone #2. Stone #2 had slightly more fire, but I just couldn't justify passing up such a great deal on Stone #1. In short, I ended up buying stone #1. In short, thank you for all of your help. This site has been terrific. :twirl:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results