shape
carat
color
clarity

Diff between AAA and Gem Grade

Suchi

Rough_Rock
Can someone please explain what is the difference between POJ's gem grade, metallic and AAA classified pearls? I am planning to treat myself to some studs for my birthday in October ( I am from India and it takes a month for the shipping). Or will I be better off with 7-7.5 mm akoya studs (hanadamas are completely out of budget). I would like to wear the studs on a daily basis and my office dress code is fairly conservative. I am 5'2" and on the heavier side, with small earlobes (for a sense of proportion size-wise, 0.23 ct diamond studs look fairly ok on me).

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearls are all about luster, aren't they? So I say: Get the most lustrous pearls you can afford.
In order of luster:
AAA Akoyas and metallic whites will be the most lustrous
then gem grade white freshwater
lastly AAA freshwater

I own both metallic white (in both AAA and gem grade) and non-metallic gem grade freshwater earrings from another company, Pearl Paradise. The metallic white freshwaters are much more lustrous than the gem grade (which PP calls "Freshadama".) Really there is no comparison. The only other pearls with such luster are high quality akoyas.

IMO you are best off getting the AAA akoya studs. Akoyas are classic, have high luster and are fully round since they have a bead nucleus. (The freshwaters are tissue nucleated, so may not be 100% round, but will be round enough to look round to the eye. The gem grade may be a bit rounder than the AAA grade.)

POJ's 7-7.5mm AAA akoya studs are $125 (but only $106.25 using their current coupon) and you can choose the overtone that will suit your skin tone best.
http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Akoya-Pearl-Earrings-70-75mm_p_25.html

POJ's metallic white freshwaters are currently only available in the 9.5-10.0mm size at $250 before the coupon.
http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/White-Metallic-Freshwater-Pearl-Earrings-Multiple-Sizes_p_664.html

Pearl Paradise has 7-8mm metallic freshwater white studs, but they cost even more than POJ's AAA akoyas: $125 for AAA and $145 for Freshadama, (i.e. their gem grade)
https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...water-pearl-stud-earrings?variant=24657791559

As to the AAA freshwaters, those will have the least luster of all of them. Still very good, mind you, but not as high luster as gem grade freshwaters, metallic white freshwaters, or AAA akoyas.
POJ currently has 6.5-7.0mm and 7.5-8.0mm listed, but not 7.0-7.5mm:
http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/White-AAA-Freshwater-Pearl-Earrings-65-70mm_p_99.html
http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/White-AAA-Freshwater-Pearl-Earrings-75-80mm_p_103.html

If in doubt, why not contact POJ and ask for them to email you comparative photos of the items you are considering?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
If you can hold off for a couple of weeks, there might be some sales around Labor Day (September 5 in USA).

Suchi

Rough_Rock
Thanks Pearlsngems. I also just had a chat with Kevin and he also suggested for the akoyas or the metallics. He doesn't have the smaller metallics in stock right now. I will most probably get a pair of akoyas.

Suchi

Rough_Rock
ennui|1472057963|4069532 said:
If you can hold off for a couple of weeks, there might be some sales around Labor Day (September 5 in USA).

Fantastic :) will wait and see :) Thanks.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saying: POJ already has a sitewide sale coupon, 15% off until Sept 15.... "enter Promo code BTS15 at checkout". I wouldn't hold my breath that they will go lower.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Suchi|1472063146|4069576 said:
Thanks Pearlsngems. I also just had a chat with Kevin and he also suggested for the akoyas or the metallics. He doesn't have the smaller metallics in stock right now. I will most probably get a pair of akoyas.

Ashley at Pure Pearls (dot) com has the 8-9mm white metallics in stock, $125.

Yes, POJ is having their sale now, but I was thinking that the other vendors might follow soon.

Suchi

Rough_Rock
Actually PP and Purepearls doesn't ship to India. So I was looking specifically at POJ.

Suchi

Rough_Rock
I know although I started with earrings but then DH said he will buy something for my birthday. So I just got the 7-7.5 mm AAA metallic lavender necklace from the Maven Collection. So happy. Thanks everyone for the help. It will take a month to reach me and I will post pics once received.

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Thank you sushi for good topic post!

I gave the POJ metallic studs to my mom and they are extremely lustrous. Really pretty! I haven't ventured into the akoyas, yet. Pearls, I find, are so much fun to learn about and look.

Happy pearl hunting :wavey:

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I would get the POJ, 9-10mm Metallics AAA, they will be between that size some where. I am 5'4" and I had 25mm diamond studs, then I upgraded to 42mm studs that was all I wore until I received my Pearl Paradise Metallics 10 mm white studs, ooh it's such a good size and look. I read you said 7.5 mm but, I advise going a bit larger!! Have Kevin show you pictures.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results