shape
carat
color
clarity

Did your ring size change after pregnancy?

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I’m wondering what size I should get VC to make my Emilya halo and matching eternity wedding band. As much as possible, I want to avoid needing to resize any ring in the future as I wouldn’t want to affect the structural integrity of the ring and would prefer getting it right the first time.

Which leads me to the question: did your ring size change after pregnancy (assuming you returned to your pre-pregnancy weight)?

From what size to what size? How many pregnancies?

I would also like to purchase a ring sizer in quarter increments and wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One pregnancy, ring size stayed the same. I was lucky though I did not retain water and after birth I was a few kilos thinner than before I fell pregnant (lol newborns are rough hence the weight plummet).

My bestie on the other hand had twins and had the opposite experience. I am guessing she probably went up 1.5 to 2 ring sizes. I am a size 6 to 6.25 and before her pregnancy my rings were too large for her. After pregnancy my 6.25 rings don't fit her at all.

We are looking to reset her diamond actually as it cannot be resized so good on you for taking this into account!

Reactions: AV_

jwcjewelry

Rough_Rock
Premium
I had one (twin) pregnancy. My fingers did not swell at all and I was able to wear my rings throughout my pregnancy. Everyone has a different experience... My friend couldn’t wear hers for awhile, but eventually her ring fit again.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know how you can guarantee the sizing will be ok for the future, I certainly wouldn’t recommend having it too big right now as it could easily fall off your finger!

I’ve been married for 20 years and have had my rings sized up twice, effects of pregnancy, weight changes and ageing knuckles. Overall I’ve gone from a UK J1/2 to an L, so pretty small adjustments.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know how you can guarantee the sizing will be ok for the future, I certainly wouldn’t recommend having it too big right now as it could easily fall off your finger!

I know, it’s tricky, but I just don’t want to go too tight.

For example, right now the perfect size for getting over my knuckles is about 5.75-5.875, which gets the ring over my knuckles easily on a cold day (too easily in fact) but is quite snug to take on and off on a really hot day. A size 6 ring is too loose, especially considering the fact that my finger itself is about 5.25 and the ring spins like crazy. In fact, I would wear a ring noodle on the ER once the ring is over the knuckle to make it more snug on the finger.

So, I’m debating between 5.875 and 6. It may sound subtle but it makes a big difference on me as the 6 is so loose overall.

I might do a 5.875 for the E ring (sizeable because the pave will be left off the 5-7 o clock) and 6 for the eternity wedding band. But that leaves little room for fatter knuckles in the future...

So perhaps the more relevant question in my case is how arthritic my joints might become and not how much bigger my finger might become.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a good question but it will vary from individual to individual. I inadvertently lost 15 lbs this spring and my ring size stayed absolutely the same. I am in the process of trying to gain it back and so far my ring size (thank goodness) is not getting larger. So YMMV and will vary and I have known women whose fingers swelled in pregnancy and then went back down after giving birth and those who stayed at their same ring size throughout. There is no guarantee and not even from pregnancy to pregnancy with the same individual. There is no definite yes or no.

Remember you can always make a ring tighter but without resizing it you won't be able to make it significantly looser. I might hold off on doing an eternity ring if this is a concern for you.

So perhaps the more relevant question in my case is how arthritic my joints might become and not how much bigger my finger might become.

This is my concern as my fingers greatly fluctuate with temperature. My mom had a ring made with an arthritic shank and it works like a charm. But it is pricey and demands a reset. I look at it this way. Enjoy and live in the moment and if you need to reset/resize in the future so be it. But there are no guarantees re finger size or anything really in life so I say get what you want now and enjoy and wear it and take it one day at a time. It's the best any of us can do.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, it’s tricky, but I just don’t want to go too tight.

For example, right now the perfect size for getting over my knuckles is about 5.75-5.875, which gets the ring over my knuckles easily on a cold day (too easily in fact) but is quite snug to take on and off on a really hot day. A size 6 ring is too loose, especially considering the fact that my finger itself is about 5.25 and the ring spins like crazy. In fact, I would wear a ring noodle on the ER once the ring is over the knuckle to make it more snug on the finger.

So, I’m debating between 5.875 and 6. It may sound subtle but it makes a big difference on me as the 6 is so loose overall.

I might do a 5.875 for the E ring (sizeable because the pave will be left off the 5-7 o clock) and 6 for the eternity wedding band. But that leaves little room for fatter knuckles in the future...

I agree with you. Too tight is not comfortable and not a good look (finger muffin top).
I shared this before but this might be of interest to you. You can size it up a bit for your knuckles (this is what I do) and add sizing beads:
sizingbeadsoecclusterandfrancesca.JPG

Or even a very inexpensive amazon fix. Let me find the link for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PRQ754/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sizingcoilbubbalah.jpg
I love this. Works like a charm.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ring size stayed the same.
Had 8 kids
Feet were bigger though. Couldnt wear the shoes I graduated college in and I was done growing by then so it was the pregnancies and not weird/ late growth spurts

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a VC Emilya and matching wedding band. I've had one pregnancy and while my fingers did swell a little at the end, my ring size stayed the same for years after. Then middle age hit and unfortunately, so did the weight gain. VC was able to size my ring up 1/2 size from 3.75 to 4.25. I will say, to me, his sizing felt smaller than other rings of the same size.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
@missy I’ve always wondered about those sizing beads and their utility and comfort. Interestingly, VC told me he has not once ever put one on a ring of his... of course, he said he could do it for me, but even he was perplexed and surprised it hasn’t yet been requested of him.

@Logan Sapphire so jealous of your tiny fingers (even at 4.25). He actually told me he once made a size ONE ring!!! :eek2:

It’s interesting you noted VC’s size felt smaller. That’s quite useful information.

Has anyone else felt their VC ring was slightly smaller/tighter than the usual?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, lots variation between women and also within the woman! My ring size started out as 4.25 and they stayed the same for both pregnancies and I was able to wear my rings throughout. Then my finger shrank almost a full size in my 30s so I had all my rings sized down to 3.5. Now I'm in my mid-40s and my knuckle grew very suddenly over the span of 3-4 months this summer and none of my rings fit anymore so I had them sized back up to 4.25. I'm guessing I'll probably need them sized up even further in the coming years as my knuckles/bones continue to age.

If I could do it all over again, I would have sized my eternity bands just slightly larger - but not so large that they'd slide off in cold weather - or I would've added sizing beads.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mine are smaller now after 2 babies but I’m also smaller ;)2

How about looking into getting half or three quarter now and then filling them to full eternity after babies??? I’m sure you can add stones! I’m also sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong!!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine went down 2 sizes after I had DS :-o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I’ve always wondered about those sizing beads and their utility and comfort. Interestingly, VC told me he has not once ever put one on a ring of his... of course, he said he could do it for me, but even he was perplexed and surprised it hasn’t yet been requested of him.

Hi @ice empress, For me the sizing beads (I have them in platinum not sure it makes a difference) are super comfortable and I am like the princess and the pea..not joking. Just ask my dh or my parents lol. Seriously I have trouble being comfortable generally and the sizing beads are invisible in terms of feeling them. I think I have medium size beads on my cluster ring and small beads on my suisse cut ring.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually lost all the weight by 9 days pp which was 28lbs so I’m smaller now than before I was pregnant making my rings pretty loose but I actually like it that way. I had Gestational Diabetes do was on a semi-strict diet during the duration.

I’m not going to resize or put sizing beads unless I lose another 10+lbs

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was a size 4/4.25 before my pregnancies. During my first pregnancy, by the end of the second trimester, none of my rings fit. By the final month, my hands and feet were completely swollen, so much that I couldn't grip anything with my hands and I could only wear flip flops. Afterwards, I stayed a size 5 for about six months and my ring size settled at 4.5/4.75 one year post. My ring size did not change again after my second pregnancy, despite me gaining 8lbs. Luckily, my eternity band was made half a size big to start (used to fall off from time to time) so I am still able to wear it.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been the same size (4.5) before/after pregnancy (2)

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My wife has gone up one ring size even though she has returned to her ore-pregnancy weight just about (maybe a kilo or two above at most). Varies for each woman as I understand it (also based on the experiences of work colleagues too).

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
About two and a half years ago, I ordered a new ring and didn't get it sized down because I thought my ring size could change during/after pregnancy. First of all, I didn't get pregnant nearly as fast as I had hoped. But secondly, I didn't gain weight or experience any swelling in my hands. One point around the beginning of my third trimester, I accidentally slung the ring off my hand and into the trashcan after washing my hands. Fortunately I realized it and grabbed it. Anyway, pregnancy didn't turn out to be the train wreck I thought it would be. I didn't have bigger hands or anything afterward.

Like missy said, it will vary by the individual, though.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely varies! I barely had any. Ring size is the same as prior to my daughter again.6.5 to 7 depending on how many rings I have on. I just had a bit of a harder time with wearing multiples compared to normal. So i just wore one for about halfway on.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers went up a lot because I gained 50 pounds :lol-2:

Lost it though, and now all my old rings for just fine.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back to my previous weight within a year, and no, my finger size didn't increase. However aging and arthritis have made my knuckles larger in the last few years. Awesome.:nono:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Started at 7.25, four babies now I wear an 8. I would go up a full size for eternity because it’s under the ering and won’t fall off.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had 2 kiddos and my ring size has remained the same, pre and post pregnancy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a “9/10” eternity that leaves just one or two stones out for (slight) sizing? Virtually unnoticeable, especially if the area is engraved...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a size 5.25 & have had 2 children. My fingers never became swollen & I wore my rings right up until birth. I gained 23 & 25lbs respectively & was back in my jeans 3 weeks after delivery both times.

But now I'm almost mid 40's I'm experiencing temperature related finger swelling. If my hands are hot because it's hot out, then there is no issue. If my hands are very, painfully cold because it's icy, and then I warm up inside, they get very swollen & start to burn. I cannot tolerate my eternity ring with wedding set when this happens & have to drag & twist it off, then flip it to my RH.

There will be many factors that affect your ring size, and not always pregnancy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a “9/10” eternity that leaves just one or two stones out for (slight) sizing? Virtually unnoticeable, especially if the area is engraved...

@yssie I have wondered about this. Doesn't resizing a ring with diamonds (even if not a complete eternity) set in the band affect the integrity? Or is it completely safe to reset an (almost) eternity as you described above?

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've had one pregnancy, my old E-ring is UK size P and it still feels the same. But my new e-ring is supposedly an O and a half, yet it feels loose when it's cold. I know the weight of the new one will be different to my tiny solitaire so it will mean it spins more but when I went to look at my potential RHR they recommended an O.
:confused:

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
@yssie I could consider doing this, but I think the lack of full symmetry/eternity would really bother me... I’ll certainly be asking for the eternity to be a little larger than the ER to account for possible size change in the future, and this larger size should be ok because I plan on wearing it on the inside and will have a ring noodle on my ER.

Note: The ER will have a sizing band without pave between 5 and 7 o’clock.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
@missy I worry about the exact same thing and as much as possible want to avoid resizing in the future. Of course, I know it may not be possible, but I think early awareness and planning will at least help for small avoidable size modifications.

On top of worrying about pave integrity, I also want to avoid the ring exchanging hands too many times out of paranoia. This is the same reason I do the cleaning on my own... not just for good and frequent maintenance, but also because a jeweler told me a story about a lady who brought her 5 carat ring in only to find out it had been swapped out for a CZ at some point in time long ago!!

Granted, this indicates that she clearly couldn’t tell the difference between her diamond and a generic CZ, so there’s something to be said about that, but it still makes for a scary and sad story.

Also, of course, I would check the AGS laser inscription and perform a before-and-after inclusion plot with the person involved, but still... better to avoid possible scenarios by simply minimizing the need to leave it in someone else’s hands altogether.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results