shape
carat
color
clarity

did you save the top deck of your wedding cake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re having one LAYER, so no.

My mom saved a chunk of their wedding cake (also one layer), and it is still in the freezer at my dad''s, just under 33 years later.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 1:53:04 AM
Author: FrekeChild
We''re having one LAYER, so no.

My mom saved a chunk of their wedding cake (also one layer), and it is still in the freezer at my dad''s, just under 33 years later.
are you gonna eat it?
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ew, no. I''m not about to eat ANYTHING that''s older than I am.

And I''m starting to warm up to the idea of "decks" instead of "layers". Hmmm...who knew?

kstar512

Rough_Rock
I did. We are eating it on our one year anniversary, along with a bottle of wine we bought on our honeymoon in Italy :)

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
yup! it''s in our freezer! can''t wait! and we are also going to get one anytime we go home to visit my fam because I can''t get enough of their cakes! YUM BUTTERCREAM!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I doubt I will it just doesn''t interest me for some reason.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yep, and it was YUMMY!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
We won''t because we''ll be cutting it (it''ll be our only tier...all our guests will receive cupcakes) and we won''t be able to get it home anyway. Wedding will be in KC, MO...we live in the DC Metro Area.

I plan on having a local bakery that we love re-create it on our first anniversary, though.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
nope. it wasn''t huge, but it was big enough that i wasn''t going to be able to fit it very well into our freezer. my sister made it, so if i really want, she can make me another one. i ate little pieces of it the day after the wedding though
18.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We did. I doubt it''ll last a year though...it''s the only flavor we didn''t even get to taste, and it''s the only kind of cake DH likes (banana) so I''m thinking we''ll bust it out long before next November 7th.
2.gif

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
eeeeeeeew.... no! They took off the top layer for us to save and I told them to stick a fork in it and put at at DH's seat.... lol he loved that!

We will get the place to make a small one for us on our one year!

RBCakeJEB.jpg

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
They saved it for us, but we ate it instead of freezing it. All we got at the wedding was the tiny bite after cutting the cake, so we wanted some! It was dessert for two days post-wedding, yum. My parents froze some of the other leftover cake for us, but I doubt we''ll really want to eat it. For our anniversary, we''ll probably order a little cake in the same flavor from the bakery we used.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
uhm, why would you want to save it for your 1st year anniversary?!? sorry for my naivete - but is it some sort of a custom/tradition?!?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
We did not. We had four cakes and had an entire one left over and we gave it to my aunt. We didn''t really want to freeze it and then eat it. We decided that if we want a cake at our one year we will order one from our baker.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
The caterer saved it without our realizing it. Since we had the cake, we intended to wait until our 1 year anniversary, but caved to our sugar cravings late one night and dug in on our 1 month "anniversary."

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, we just had it for our one year anniversary! It actually wasn''t too bad.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 10:02:17 AM
Author: vc10um
We won''t because we''ll be cutting it (it''ll be our only tier...all our guests will receive cupcakes) and we won''t be able to get it home anyway. Wedding will be in KC, MO...we live in the DC Metro Area.

Ditto this. We had a cupcake wedding cake, and DH and I cut into the one and only layer or "deck". My mom made chocolate favors for everyone, so we saved on of those and stuck it in our freezer. We''ll eat that on our year anniversary. That''s if DH doesn''t eat it before then!

iloveny

Shiny_Rock
Well, we tried to save it! The restaurant where we had our reception said that they would keep it i the fridge for us, because we didn''t want to take it with us on our wedding night. A week later we went back for it and they had accidentally THROWN IT AWAY!!!! The restaurant manager was mortified, and he gave us a $200 gift certificate to the restaurant, a bottle of Dom Perignon and he bought us dinner and drinks that night. It was probably for the best because we have a very skinny freezer in our NYC apartment, so we would have had to cut a few pieces off of the top layer and we would''ve thrown the rest away. I feigned disappointment as we ate, but truthfully DH and I thought we made out like bandits!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 2:52:47 PM
Author: cleokizzy
uhm, why would you want to save it for your 1st year anniversary?!? sorry for my naivete - but is it some sort of a custom/tradition?!?

Yes, it''s a common tradition.

OP, we eloped to Maui and got cupcakes from the local grocery store, so no, we didn''t save them ;-)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We had cheesecakes, untiered, so there wasn''t an actual top tier, but the bakery did make us a mini-pumpkin cheesecake to take home. We froze it while were on our honeymoon, then ate the rest as soon as we got back. Actually, I think there''s still a piece left, but it''s been a month so maybe I should throw that out
14.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did, and had it for our 1 year anniversary, it didn''t taste so good. But it''s a fun tradition, and am glad we did it. I don''t know maybe it wasn''t wrapped properly.. No clue, this was 23 years ago. Memory fades, LOL!!!!
3.gif

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 8:32:33 PM
Author: iloveny
Well, we tried to save it! The restaurant where we had our reception said that they would keep it i the fridge for us, because we didn''t want to take it with us on our wedding night. A week later we went back for it and they had accidentally THROWN IT AWAY!!!! The restaurant manager was mortified, and he gave us a $200 gift certificate to the restaurant, a bottle of Dom Perignon and he bought us dinner and drinks that night. It was probably for the best because we have a very skinny freezer in our NYC apartment, so we would have had to cut a few pieces off of the top layer and we would''ve thrown the rest away. I feigned disappointment as we ate, but truthfully DH and I thought we made out like bandits!

Sadness that they threw it away...but HOORAY for what sounds like an amazing dinner in it''s place!!! Man, that manager gets two thumbs WAY up for recognizing how important that must have been to you and doing something to try to compensate!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, we got a new one (same flavor, same baker) for the first anni.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 8:58:30 PM
Author: sonnyjane
Date: 11/20/2009 2:52:47 PM
Author: cleokizzy
Yes, it''s a common tradition.
Only about as common as, say, the bouquet toss
2.gif

I''ve always known this is just "what you do," so when our baker suggested an alternate option, I was so relieved!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 8:32:33 PM
Author: iloveny
Ha ha! What an awesome substitute that was! It''s too bad that you won''t have your cake for your one year... but save that gift cert and you can go to the restaurant you had your reception at instead! Pretty good trade-off?

Yes, I''m planning on saving the top tier of our cake for the one year anniversary... i''m sentimental lol

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Nope! We sure didn''t! We knew we wouldn''t have room in the freezer, so we saved the top tier to serve at brunch the next day with our families.... and it was delicious!!!

Plus, year old cake? Yick! We''re going to have the same baker make us another one for our anniversary. :)

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Haha I''ve already been informed by FI that there''s no way he''s eating a cake that''s been in the freezer for a year.
3.gif
I really don''t know what we''re going to do with all the extra cake though - the venue does our cake for us and gives us a 3-tier cake with the package - 10 inch, 8 inch, and 6 inch layers... we have 13 people total coming to the wedding, haha. Maybe we''ll send bunches of it home with people in boxes.
9.gif

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Nope. Not at all. Ours wasn''t layered, but even if it was there was no way we were going to do this--both of us are much more into savory than sweet and didn''t even eat any cake on the actual day of our reception.

We did, though, save two of the homebrews we gave out as our favor and plan to open them and toast to our first year of marriage on our anniversary.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2009 1:41:56 PM
Author: katamari
Nope. Not at all. Ours wasn''t layered, but even if it was there was no way we were going to do this--both of us are much more into savory than sweet and didn''t even eat any cake on the actual day of our reception.

We did, though, save two of the homebrews we gave out as our favor and plan to open them and toast to our first year of marriage on our anniversary.
cute!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results