shape
carat
color
clarity

DID YOU KNOW IF YOU GOOGLE YOUR PS NAME, YOUR POSTS COME UP?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I was rather surprised when I googled my username ("LS")....scattered amongst other links ....were my posts from HERE. Also, there were posts that other people had posted to the thread with my name (LostSapphire) in the thread subject line.

The Google search result linked directly to the PS Forum Thread I was participating in, or, that people were posting to with my name in it.

Got me to thinking about all the things we post here! And how easy it would be for someone to figure out who we were and all the things we discuss here.

I worry if my sweet DH is looking over my shoulder some nights when I''m posting on PS...well, all he''d have to do is google me and read to his hearts content! YIKES

How many of you have a user name here on PS (or other forums) that would be easy for people to figure out? I know my husband, my mom, sister, and half of my office knows me as "LostSapphire".

It just feels kinda strange and somehow, I feel unprotected and naked.

What do you think about this? i''m curious.

LS

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve wondered about this before, but my sign-in here is not known by my family or friends so I''m safe! I worry about the ladies that use their names.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I guess I was living in PollyAnnaWorld but it kind of threw me for a loop! The threads are just in the google search result list mixed in with other people posting "lost and found" ads for their sapphires.....YIKES.

LS

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, I use a different name here than I do all over the rest of the internet. My other screennames yield about 40 pages of hits!

If you really want to freak youself out, check out http://www.pipl.com/ . . .

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:20:39 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Yup, I use a different name here than I do all over the rest of the internet. My other screennames yield about 40 pages of hits!

That''s interesting - apparently my married name is super common, but it doesn''t have me anywhere on there at all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

That is crazy!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Only my hubby knows my ps name, in real life. I''d feel kind of freaked if someone from work or something found me on pricescope! I actually just googled icekid, and it comes up with all kinds of other things before my pricescope posts.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Google is remarkably effective, which is something of a double-edged sword. You can search within specific websites as well, by entering (for example) site:www.[sitename].com as part of your search. I used this often as an alternative to the built-in PS search. To search for any PS posts I've written (or containing my name) the search would be:
'selkie site:www.pricescope.com'

If I wanted posts where I referenced sapphires, it would be 'selkie sapphire site:www.pricescope.com'

You could have your username changed, LS, (though it wouldn't remove the term from within posts) if you are very concerned about being tracked. I know other people have.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
My screename doesn''t lead me to PS.

And my real name is so common, there are 26 of me in my city!
3.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for that link LtP, I just deleted my friendster account. Had no idea that was still out there, yikes. Luckily for me there are several people with the same name, so it is hard for people to find me. Unfortunately one person with the same name has written a very graphic poem about her experiences with childbirth.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:37:58 PM
Author: swimmer
Thanks for that link LtP, I just deleted my friendster account. Had no idea that was still out there, yikes. Luckily for me there are several people with the same name, so it is hard for people to find me. Unfortunately one person with the same name has written a very graphic poem about her experiences with childbirth.
EWWWWWW. . .

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My PS name doesn't lead to PS. Hubby couldn't spell my PS name if his life depended on it. But I haven't put him to the test.
31.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
haha mine doesn''t!
3.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m having so much fun with that site! LOL Apparently I have another screen name called "BlackWidow" LOL

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine doesn''t lead here either.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
I flipped through 12 pages of google hits and none were Pricescope. But I''m okay with people reading my posts, since no one knows this user name.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Mine does
7.gif
bummer.

Another website ya''ll should be aware of is 123people.com

A friend just showed it to me yesterday, it''s insanely creepy.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:26:29 PM
Author: Skippy123
That is crazy!!!
I really dislike that pipl site. I think it''s invasive -- and I can''t do anything about it.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea, my PS name has nothing to do with my life

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My user name is for PS only

The internet is a double edged sward

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Thank goodness my first and last name are the same as someone on TV, so when you google my name, you get a lot of TV show stuff. There''s also a woman with my name who runs a PR firm, and she''s ALL over the internet.

bebe

Ideal_Rock

that is scary.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
This is the only place I use this name. Though, if any of my friends came across the site and were lookng at the posts they would know in an instant that it was me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. Nor do I care.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Mine doesn''t lead here and my name leads you to know where MUHAHAHAHAHHAHA
36.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
fortunately, I have a common word as my SN, so no worries over here! You would REALLY have to be looking to get to my PS stuff. Phew!
28.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
mine doesn''t either. Everything else about bees came up instead.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried googling "Gypsy"???

LOL. Perfectly safe.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Haha mine on google brings my PS posts right up, hehe. Guess my name''s kind of unique. I just used it b/c I''ve never been creative and couldn''t think of what else to use when I made my PS account. I use this name other places and have had it since I was in HS.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Google search results: Results 1 - 10 of about 17,500,000 for Cleopatra

I think I''m ok
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results