shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you have a hard time giving up your original stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH gets sentimental just thinking about it. I wear a stone that''s smaller (original engagement ring is .47 centre, and I wear a .33 centre) and one of his friends noticed it, asked if it was new, and asked to see it. DH got defensive about how my original ring looked just as good, if not better, on my hand and how lovely my original engagement ring was.

I''ve had the original engagement ring for over 4.5 years and been married for over 3 years. It''s not going anywhere even though I''ve changed rings (downsized, not upgraded!) and hardly wear it anymore. I do think the men get more attached to the rings. I don''t know how I''d feel because I''ve never had a chance to think about it. DH is so dead-set against giving up the original stone that I don''t actually have to make a decision.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my original in a custom pendant around my neck and tell hubby it''s closer to my heart now. He Loves that!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I was to upgrade my engagement ring, I''d go with the same thing as what I have now, only I''d choose larger stones. I think I''d have a hard time parting with my RB center stone but not the pear side stones (I''ve always thought they were too small). The best of both worlds would be to keep my center stone and make it in to a pendant or a RHR and redo my engagement ring. If I couldn''t do that, I''d miss my center stone for sentimental reasons, but I could probably give it up.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about this lately - all of my friends are now engaged, and I have the smallest stone of the bunch. As much as I try not to be jealous, because I do love my ring, it''s hard not to notice that it''s smaller.

But, if DH rolled over one morning and said "Go trade in your diamond for a bigger one" there''s no way I could do it. My original stone and setting means too much to me.

So, we''ve agreed that for a 10 year anniversary, a bigger (new) ring might be in order.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 8:10:14 PM
Author: Elmorton
I''ve been thinking about this lately - all of my friends are now engaged, and I have the smallest stone of the bunch. As much as I try not to be jealous, because I do love my ring, it''s hard not to notice that it''s smaller.

But, if DH rolled over one morning and said ''Go trade in your diamond for a bigger one'' there''s no way I could do it. My original stone and setting means too much to me.

So, we''ve agreed that for a 10 year anniversary, a bigger (new) ring might be in order.

That''s a good point and something I hadn''t considered. My friends are married or engaged...and live in a different country so I don''t see their rings. At work I''m one of the few married ones who wears something other than a plain band. When my husband''s friends get married (none of them are) I wonder how I''ll feel since that''s who I''m closest to and spend the most time with. If they all have bigger rings I''ll notice that mine is smaller for sure.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 9:59:26 AM
Author: Ellen
I still have my original ering/wband, and I get them out and look at them once in a while. But no, I did not have a problem getting a new stone. My eyes were getting old, I wanted to be able to see it.
9.gif
2.gif
LOL! I hear you, Ellen. After 30 years (and for the last 20 of those the ring was in the drawer) I finally used that original e-ring diamond as an accent stone in a pendant. I did shed a wee tear when the designer popped it out of the ring setting. Then, I got over it.
9.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not going to feel badly (for sentimental reasons) about giving up my pear when I upgrade because I wasn''t engaged with that stone. I bought it for myself since my husband believes that CZs are "good enough". I WILL feel badly about giving it up because of the color and the cleanliness of it. It''s an incredibly clean SI 1.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I really want to upgrade in a year or two, and I keep thinking about having to give up my stone....I am really not sure how I'll feel about it, I'll just have to see!!!
I think initially I will be upset, but like I said before, my hubby and I picked out this stone together, and we will pick out the next stone together too!!!! So, I dont think I will completely be sentimental about it, other than the fact that he proposed to me with this diamond. But, once I give it up, I wont be able to get it back!!!
Did any of you think about it in that way? Did that make you upset?

I know many of you held on to your originals, but I wont be able to do that unfortunately....
8.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Nope, I see it all the time and know it is "on" good hands!

cheers--Sharon

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 8:10:14 PM
Author: Elmorton

But, if DH rolled over one morning and said ''Go trade in your diamond for a bigger one'' there''s no way I could do it. My original stone and setting means too much to me.

I think I''d go, YIPPEE! Trade it in for a new one... and then feel like guilty on the ride there, and then like for a few days afterwards... kinda like when you go to get your hair done, and the DAY you''re gonna totally change it... it like looks good all of a sudden... what is with that?

So, I am probably in the I''d do it... and then be riddled w/ guilt for like a week or so.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The setting I picked, so I would consider upgrading it. But never the stone. He actually found it on pricescope''s listing of diamonds and it is perfect.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I upgraded because a couple of months before our 10th anniversary I looked down and a giant piece was missing from my .60 RB. Almost in half. In hindsight I would have kept it and recut it and made it into a small pendant. I felt sick to my stomach for a few days because I knew nothing would ever make it the same. I am not sentimental about most material things, but it surprised me how much I was about this. It wasn''t cut great and never had a big sparkle. I still think about how hard my DH worked for that ring even though his parents would have happily given him money for something enormous - even today I wouldn''t spend the $ on. I love my new ring (1.22RB) and am at peace with things now.

I have been looking over a year for the right RB tsavorite to put in my original setting (classic plat with single side baguettes).. Garnets are our son''s birthstone so once that''s done it will have a new and old sentimental meaning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results