shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you have a hard time giving up your original stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
when you upgraded? What about those that eventually will upgrade? How do you think you'll feel about it?

I was just thinking about this last night....If I had the chance to upgrade my stone, would I emotionally be able to give up the ring that my DH proposed to me with? I dont know, maybe Im just being nostalgic, because I am really the one who picked out this stone for myself (hubs helped, but I ultimately made the final decision). Its strange, because I'm not really one who gets attached to "things," so I dont know why I'm even having these thoughts!!!!!! Crazygirl!!!!!
41.gif
But I do think I would have a hard time saying goodbye to my original EC, as strange as that sounds. In the end, I dont think it would deter me from upgrading, but I definitely would feel bad about it initially I think.

Just wanted to hear about others experiences.....
1.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I traded 2 stones. I don''t miss one of them, but I sometimes regret trading the other one even though it wasn''t that great of a stone.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in the process of upgrading my stone. I still have my current one on my finger, and I get a little sad sometimes. I''m sure that will go away when I ship it off and I get a stone somewhere between 1.25-1.5 carats on my finger that is just as beautiful as the current .85 that I have.
31.gif
30.gif

But we''ll see! I know I''ll miss my current stone! But those chunky GOG cushions are SCREAMING my name...and alas...my sweet little cushette must go BYE BYE for me to get it
7.gif

Thats okay though! I just keep thinking...a bigger sparklie...a bigger pretty...a chunky pretty...to help me cope!
37.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We kept my stone from my original ER. It is a family diamond that I would never have traded. I did trade in my second stone for my current [and last] ring and I had no regrets when I traded that one.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still have my original ering/wband, and I get them out and look at them once in a while. But no, I did not have a problem getting a new stone. My eyes were getting old, I wanted to be able to see it.
9.gif
2.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dani,

I think about this from time to time. DH does not want to sell/upgrade/trade in my stone. So it stays.

But I think I will upgrade future diamonds; buy a medium stone and watch it gow over the years (decades!).

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I think about this a lot too. Since dh proposed when he was a medical student, chances are we will be able to afford something bigger in the future. I am sentimentally attached to my ring, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have something bigger. However, dh doesn''t know how he feels about it. I think if I ever do get a bigger stone, I''ll keep my original stone and do something with it like turn it into a pendant or a rhr.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
That's funny, that alot of the hubby's have more of an attachment to the original stone ( or maybe they are just using that as an excuse to not pay for an
upgrade, LOL!!!
6.gif
). My hubs says the same thing about my stone- that he really wouldnt ever want me to trade it in. Hmmm.....
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH has luckily made this easy for me. Since my stone wasn''t super expensive to begin with he said I can keep it when we upgrade someday.
1.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t have an e-ring until 2 years into our marriage- so no, I had no problem getting a new stone last year. Only thing I regret is that we weren''t able to trade it in so it went to my sister in law, and she put it in a pendant.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I only had my original asscher for a few months before I discovered it was cut very deep - even though the patterns were beautiful, it faced up very small for it''s size (like a .8 ct RB, even though it was 1.64 ct).

So, I traded it, but sometimes now I wish that I had just put a halo around in or something, so I would still have the original stone for its sentimental value.

Honestly, as far as a ring goes, I really prefer the RB that I have now, so I really do prefer and enjoy my new stone much more, but there have been 1 or 2 sentimental days when I think that some other girl is walking around wearing my old diamond. Since I had picked that stone myself (my DH left the ring choice entirely up to me) I didn''t feel like it had a lot of symbolism, but sometimes I miss it. I think that it would have made me happiest to have that one AND my new stone, but since they were both so expensive, there is no way that we could have gotten me both - I needed to trade in the one to have the other.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I havent upgraded but I''m sure I would miss mine. Its a pear and it was hard to find. Maybe another pear just like
it (shape/ratio/color) but twice the size would help me get over the pain
31.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I think about this too. My e-ring is less than one year old, and I love my emerald, even though it''s small by PS standards (.72). I think once I have my WB, and eventually a few stackers
31.gif
, I think I''ll be plenty blingy. I think FI has more of a sentimental attachment with the OG stone. I can always get a new setting too... who knows! I don''t think about it too hard, as we def. do not have the finances to upgrade right now! I am happy with what I have!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I think about this too. My e-ring is less than one year old, and I love my emerald, even though it''s small by PS standards (.72). I think once I have my WB, and eventually a few stackers
31.gif
, I think I''ll be plenty blingy. I think FI has more of a sentimental attachment with the OG stone. I can always get a new setting too... who knows! I don''t think about it too hard, as we def. do not have the finances to upgrade right now! I am happy with what I have!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I know. I am not thinking about it too hard either, just wondering!!!
1.gif
I would definitely have to trade in my current stone if I were to upgrade-I couldnt afford to keep both stones unfortunately!!!!
8.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I had my original e-stone recut and put into a pendant, which I wear 24/7.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gee, all you ladies are making me look bad. The short answer is no. I was much too excited about the new one to even think about the old one and never once thought about the old one once I was wearing the upgrade stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 2:19:29 PM
Author: Chrono
Gee, all you ladies are making me look bad. The short answer is no. I was much too excited about the new one to even think about the old one and never once thought about the old one once I was wearing the upgrade stone.
You sentimental thing you
2.gif
!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Well, my original e-ring had so many structural issues that it wasn''t really an issue - I''m already on my third setting (only been married 2.5 years). Given that, my emotional attachment to it is pretty minimal.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I feel kind of eh about the stone in my ering so I wouldn''t have a problem with upgrading it. The very first diamond that DH have me prior to us getting engaged is a .50 and was in a three stone. I am sentimentally attached to it and since I really never wore the three-stone after we got engaged I had it re-set into a solitaire and the side stones put into earrings. I wear the solitaire frequently with my Lucida band on my wedding finger and don''t really wear my actual wedding set much anymore even though it is much blingier.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I''m not aloud to upgrade. Hubby wants me to have the EXACT stone and setting that he proposed to me with... It''s fine with me, I get completely new pieces to wear in addition to my original!!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not part with my original diamond that my DH proposed with. He picked it out himself and it means too much to me...I hope to pass it on to my daughter one day. When I got my three stone for out tenth anniversary I just got a whole new ring!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won''t ever give up my stone to get a bigger one.

You diamond girls have it easy.
3.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't have a hard time giving up my original stone, although I regretted trading it in later because I traded "up" to a larger but lower quality marquise from a really nice .25 ct. round. I later realized that the .25 ct. round would have made a nice 3-stone ring but I was certain I HAD to have a marquise! Oh well, it's water under the bridge. I now have a 1.05 ct. Jubilee set in a Tacori platinum wedding set, so I'm not cryin'!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
When I got my big EC I traded in a bunch of my stuff [a number were amazing custom pieces - and it killed me to find out that the diamond - in the custom Cusi setting - which was worth almost as much as the stone - was taken out of the setting and sold separately - the setting was just used as scrap
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
]. I miss just about all of it. I would not trade anything I currently own in order to not have to come up with cash for something new. It is too painful and not worth the cash savings to me.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I could never "give up" my original stone or ring, too sentimental... kept it intact although I upgraded and got a new stone and ring.

Maybe one day I will use the stone from original ER for a sidestone or something... as it''s never worn. It''s funny, but I would never trade in that stone, but would have no problem upgrading my upgrade.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
I kept my original, too much sentimental value, always start fresh.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I have my original pear stone, it''s now set in a pendant.
I''d have no problem giving up the stone I have now, in fact
I want to do just that, not sure when, but I will.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, maybe this is the upside to starting with a smaller stone (mine is 3/4 ct). Since it was not THAT pricey, if/when I get a different stone it won''t be painful to keep the old one!
1.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring was no great financial investment. So I was able to keep it when I bought my ''new'' e-ring recently. I adore my new ring, and wear it constantly. No doubt I will grow sentimentally attached and would have problems letting go of it as well! After all, it was a fifth year anniversary ring....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results