shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you ever win an (online-) auction "by accident"?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if anyone has - as I have - ever won an auction "by accident". For me it was this cute little band. It was an online auction and I wasn't looking for something, just going through things for fun. I saw this little thing with bad pictures and the price was so incredibly low that I hit the bidding button because I actually FELT BAD for the band (who would understand if not a PSer?). Never did I intend to win this auction. Well, I did. No one cared for the thing. It arrived and it turned out to be the cutest litte band with 7 old miners (as I now know) with incredible off-centered culets and the weirdest cuts (as I know now too - but you can't see it as the diamonds are so small). It must be quite old too. No stamps or marks, but wonderfully engraved.

Attachments

• IMG_8092.jpeg
    IMG_8092.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8093.jpeg
    IMG_8093.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8094.jpeg
    IMG_8094.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 24
S

SallyB

It’s adorable. =) On which auction site did you find it?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
What a pretty ring! Great find.

I‘ve accidentally won auctions and then scrambled to figure out what to do with my new piece! Sometimes they play well with others, but if they don’t I let them go again. As hobbies go, it’s a fun one, though!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I have, by putting in a ridiculously low bid where I expect to be outbid. I also sometimes feel bad for ebayers who are private and selling for way lower than they should because they have not optimised their listing. I will reach out and suggest they CHANGE their listings and try again if I feel like I'm getting TOO good a deal.

As for Ricardo, I won an entire bedroom set of solid wood furniture from a high end store (pfister) for 25 bucks. The woman insisted on honouring the bid but i felt REALLY bad showing up with the van to take it away.

Your ring is beautiful and the side engraving really makes it special.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I have, by putting in a ridiculously low bid where I expect to be outbid. I also sometimes feel bad for ebayers who are private and selling for way lower than they should because they have not optimised their listing. I will reach out and suggest they CHANGE their listings and try again if I feel like I'm getting TOO good a deal.

As for Ricardo, I won an entire bedroom set of solid wood furniture from a high end store (pfister) for 25 bucks. The woman insisted on honouring the bid but i felt REALLY bad showing up with the van to take it away.

Your ring is beautiful and the side engraving really makes it special.

Quite some good deals on Ricardo! Hardly ever for diamonds, but otherwise not too bad!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came upon this Byard Brogan ring two hours before auction end, I had a number in my head which was my final. Well I bid on it towards the end of the auction and when I looked I was the winner! I was kind of floored, I want to say it was in the 300's maybe $380.

IMG_8228.JPG

IMG_8229.JPG

IMG_8230.JPG

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I came upon this Byard Brogan ring two hours before auction end, I had a number in my head which was my final. Well I bid on it towards the end of the auction and when I looked I was the winner! I was kind of floored, I want to say it was in the 300's maybe $380.

IMG_8228.JPG

IMG_8229.JPG

IMG_8230.JPG

That‘s what I call a lucky punch! Such a nice stone!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Those are my favorite kind!
I won this certed precision cut 3.5ct spinel for 25 bucks a few years ago. I bottom bid and actually forgot about it:)).
A stone that dark being lively? Nobody would take the chance apparently.
I got her home and she was a lively surprise. She looks like she has a galaxy of different colored sparkles inside even in low light like this. Spinel doesn't always look great under CFL/LED either, but she does there too.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have won an auction or two that way - bidding on something because the current bid seemed waaay toooo looow - but it’s been awhile. I rarely peruse eBay anymore, mainly because I need to be getting rid of stuff rather than acquiring more! But that’s how I got some of my (several sets of) vintage silver plate flatware.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results