shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you ever "downgrade" your e-ring (or other expensive piece), as opposed to upgrading?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I upgraded my e-ring a couple of years ago and have been surprised at how much I do not like the extra worry that's come along with it for me. It's not nearly as much as some of the stunners I've seen on here but for myself, I'm starting to think I just overstepped my jewelry value comfort zone. I did not realize such a thing existed lol. Maybe I'd be better off with something that's still pretty but in the four digits rather than five. Anyone else?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
My 1.3 ct was my original diamond. I upgraded to a 3.3 ct which was way too big. Especially for my current area. So I sold and bought a ring with 3 diamonds in it and made the toi et moi. But also sold that cause I felt the toi et moi was too small. I want to be blingy but not showy. It’s hard.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no one right way.
My answer to date is no.
Though before I got Maryann and Ginger I was having doubts thinking it was too much. Once I started wearing them that put those doubts to rest.

It’s what feels right to you. If you think it’s too big/expensive for you to wear with joy then I think yes, reevaluating your options are in order.

At the end of the day you want to be wearing bling you can comfortably wear with joy. ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded my e-ring a couple of years ago and have been surprised at how much I do not like the extra worry that's come along with it for me. It's not nearly as much as some of the stunners I've seen on here but for myself, I'm starting to think I just overstepped my jewelry value comfort zone. I did not realize such a thing existed lol. Maybe I'd be better off with something that's still pretty but in the four digits rather than five. Anyone else?

One more thought if I may. Is your ring insured? Perhaps that would put your mind at ease and allow you to wear her with joy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a cost thing for me but finding what fits in with my lifestyle ( Jeans/yoga pants/shorts etc.) and the area I live in.
I definitely can agree with @winnietucker 's statement "I want to be blingy but not showy." but how do you get that???
Anyone know?:D I dont want to upgrade to find out it just doesnt fit in with my lifestyle (where I'm less apt to wear it).

I put my 1.14 ACA in a double bezel of sorts and I think I sort of achieved "blingy but not showy" but I actually miss not being
able to see the whole stone. I would like to put it in a different setting...solitaire, 3-stone, however, I'm afraid it might mess
up my "blingy but not showy" criteria. Why does this have to be so hard? Plus if I take it out of that setting I'll probably
want to upgrade some (size/color).

I think my easiest ring to wear is my 1.4 ctw 7 stone. Its just so nonchalant. Provides bling but doesnt overdo it. Perfect IMO!

So no, @seaurchin I have not downgraded. I'm trying to prevent having to downgrade by not crossing that line. How to stay
below that line is hard to know. If its just a money thing...then not so hard but if its a blingy/showy thing, then its a hard line to define.
Anyway, I feel your pain @seaurchin.

BTW, here is my definition of blingy but not showy. 1.14 J/Si1 ACA...not big by PS standards but decent size for my area. Ugg on the
oversize picture but I'm too lazy to do anything about it!:oops:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't downgraded (the opposite!) but I know exactly what you mean by "jewellery comfort zone", and this factored into my decision as to how much to spend. I am at the upper limit of mine in terms of being able to wear it without worrying (too much), and it's taken me a while to get to this point. And also, just in terms of what I could wrap my head around was reasonable and proportionate to spend on a piece of jewellery, which is a very personal decision.

I would not rush to do anything. Sometimes these things come in cycles. I found that after a scare (eg an acquaintance being burgled, a piece being damaged or lost) I would feel a sense of unease and wanted to just get rid of things and keep the money safely in my bank instead. These feelings passed. It would waste a lot more money to sell at a loss, regret it, and re-purchase in future.

Insurance is a good idea for putting your mind at ease as @missy said. I was surprised how cheap it was to add it on my home insurance policy as a specified item.

But yeah, I am so much happier when I have an old, undesirable car (as I do currently) than when it's new and shiny and I have to worry about it :) I have no other expensive items and I like it that way!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and no.

Yes in that there are 2 pieces of jewellery that I find are a bit too blingy for everyday or even normal work wear, and decided I needed less blingy alternatives.

No in that instead of proper downgrading, as in trading in the existing jewellery for something less blingy, I had a couple of new rings made instead, and save the originals for dressier occasions!

DK :lol-2:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes I did. Nothing by PS standards mind you, but I still downsized. Large blingy rings stand out like a sore thumb where I live. I've seen some amazing stacks here where the solly is well under a carat and thought that's the route to go for me.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes I did. Nothing by PS standards mind you, but I still downsized. Large blingy rings stand out like a sore thumb where I live. I've seen some amazing stacks here where the solly is well under a carat and thought that's the route to go for me.

But if I come across some money, you'd better believe I'd get over my "discomfort" and have some fun!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I don't want to say I "downgraded" but rather right-sized for my lifestyle. It's funny to see how my personal tastes have changed over the years.

My original engagement ring is a 1.75 ct round diamond set in a platinum Danhov bezel with a halo. The diamond shows like a 2.5 ct and the micropave adds a LOT of sparkle. The ring was so top heavy I ended up having the 1 band replaced with 2 tapered bands to keep it up right on my finger. I love that ring and still have it, but it only gets worn for special occasions. It no longer suits my lifestyle or career.

I now wear an anniversary band with GIA H / SI1 (5) .40 ct stones. David Klass bezel set design in rose gold and platinum. The setting is unique and beautiful. The stones were originally set in a shared prong generic setting. The new setting with platinum bezels really add to the size visually of the diamonds. It sits comfortable on the finger has just enough finger coverage and the diamonds are exceptional. I have multiple stacking rings that I switch out with it.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
@tyty333 do you have a thread or pictures of your 7 stone 'nonchalance' band please - I'm at the start of a band hunting journey and the blingy but not showy is exactly what I'm looking for.

@luckygreen317 I'd love to see your DK anniversary band too, bezels are my favourite setting.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I am very sentimental so I will likely never upgrade or downgrade my ER. I do have a 7 stone that I wear when I don't feel comfortable wearing my ER for various reasons! I'd be open to getting a larger ER as an alternate ring!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It wasn't a downgrade as in value, but it was in size. I found that a 2 carat diamond was too large for me, even though the value of my "downgrade" was higher. I live in a major city, so it isn't even about looking blingy...but I found a 2 carat round stone uncomfortable and just felt constantly aware of it. It didn't help that I eventually really didn't like the cut (bought it before I knew better)

I went from a 2.01 carat early round brilliant (not a great cut, M color, si2) and got a gorgeous 1.3 carat, E color, si1 OEC. 8.1mm to 6.7mm. Big jump down! I kept the original stone and one day plan to recut it and wear it as a pendant for sentimental reasons.

I love the smaller stone - it is the perfect size for me. It is a 3 stone, with 2x ~0.25 sides. So similar carat weight - but more my style.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, I’d wear the Taj Mahal as a pendant if I had strong enough neck muscles :dance:
Being of a certain age I now rock vivid purple hair and if I feel like wearing excessive bling to take the rubbish out, I do.
However, no jewellery should cause you angst, either owning or wearing.
Jewellery should number 1 bring joy to you.
I see little point in owning beautiful pieces and leaving them in a safe, never being worn. Nor is there any point in owning or wearing something if it makes you feel out sync with those around you or makes you feel uneasy that someone might steal them off your body.
Buy and love what you can wear.
The bigger, flashy pieces, re home them or wait until your sense of propriety disappears and you rock your rocks like a rock star :cool2:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I would downgrade per se, but I would wear alternatives to my wedding set if I found it too blingy for a certain time or place. I have worn plain wedding band, diamond band in place of the whole set.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling a diamond will almost always result in a financial hit, so I wouldn’t even consider it, unless I needed money. So never say never. But for other reasons like concern over fitting in with social circles, etc. Heck no! @seaurchin if the value comfort is the issue, will you recoup your money if you downgrade? Or will it be a wash?

I would buy another ring or another piece of jewelry in a smaller size, but I wouldn’t get rid of the piece I have in a bigger size!

I plan to just wear my wedding band and leave behind my ering when I travel after marriage (not married yet) but I might get a set with a tiny solitaire and a matching plain band with it for travel instead as my wedding band will be blingy. Haven’t completely made up my mind yet, I saw someone in my friend circle do this and it got stuck in my head! (Though she got a classic Tiffany set for travel with a 0.25 or 0.3ct stone, and I’m not sure I want to spend that much).

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My RHR was a full diamond eternity ring with all 20 pointers. I loved it and it was beautiful, but just way too much for my lifestyle. Plus it gave my e-ring a run for its money, whereas I like my e-ring to be my stand out piece. I sold it to a lovely PSer and had an exact replica made but with 8 pointers, and I wear it nearly every day, it suits me far better. Plus the residual funds from the sale of the larger ring funded a whole other RHR. Win! :bigsmile:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did and as I’ve acquired larger pieces (large for me, not PS!), I’ve ended up selling them. Doesn’t matter if it’s diamond, colored stone, moissanite, CZ, solitaire, eternity band, necklace, etc. - I don’t like big stones or any jewels with a big presence for me but love to look at them! My original ring wasn’t big by PS standards (1.65 OEC) but it was too big for my causal and low key self.

My husband likes big colored stones on me so he’s a bit disappointed, honestly, but he’s come around because he wants me to be comfortable. If it doesn’t bring joy and won’t, I sell it and hope it brings joy to others. When I was younger, I didn’t like jewelry at all. Now I like it but know that it needs to be on the dainty, simple, classic side of things. That was a lot of evolving for me so I don’t think I’ll evolve to wearing huge honkers but one never knows.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not personally but I respect people who make choices/correct mistakes or change direction according to what is best for them. What good is a beautiful piece of jewelry if it doesn't meet your needs?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I live in rural(ish) Virginia. I love huge diamonds. I don't love huge diamonds on me. My regular e-ring is a halo set 1ct OMC. I love the stone but I find the halo fussy. I much prefer my .82 nicely cut rb solitaire for the day-to-day. I know, I know - please don't make me give up my PS card. I would like to get a larger nicely cut lab diamond and put it right back into a high set simple Ritani knife edge setting. But larger to a point. I love the "V" lines on a solitaire ring, and at some size that V becomes spready and lost in a much wider angle. I figure I want a 1.20 ct at most to keep my "V" angle intact. I crush on a simple solitaire design. How weird is that?! :).

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results