shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you buff and polish your platinum ring for your wedding?

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
I've been wearing my engagement ring around for 2 years. I clean my ring regularly at Tiffany's but I have never sent it away to get properly buffed and polished to get rid of the tiny surface scratches. I was thinking of doing it for my wedding in 3 months but when I asked about it today they said they would have to send my ring away and I would be without it for 3 weeks!

I'd really like it to look like new for the wedding but I don't know if I can part with it! Has anyone else here had their ring polished for their wedding? My main thing is just that photographers tend to take real close-up shots of your ring for your album... and I'd be kicking myself if I could see a scratch in the picture!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Did you buff and polish your platinum ring for your wedd

wow, 3 weeks!!! that is a long time. can you take it somewhere else for polishing? or check with another location?

I am planning on getting my ring polished before my wedding so my wedding band and engagement ring have the same amount of wear.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What did you end up choosing for a wedding band?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I got mine polished for my wedding

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock

Yeah I know 3 weeks is ages. Don't really have a choice though, I'm a bit reluctant to go to a different jeweller for service and I don't know what other jewellers I could trust since it's only a small city!

Motownmama, the day is FINALLY going to come next week! H2B has agreed to go and get our bands next Saturday. After much deliberation I am now down to either the 2mm channel set band or the novo band, but I'm leaning towards the channel. As soon as I have bought it I will post the pics here! Of course I'll be waiting a while to be able to snap pics of my set if I have to send away my ring for polishing ;( oh well I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and do it, I won't regret it when I get it back and my rings look just as new as each other!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I forgot to even clean my rings for my wedding. Then again ... the photographer only took one close up of the ring.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I did get them cleaned but it was on site so it was very quick. Why in the world would it take them 3 weeks? I would think it would be something they do a lot!

defendiendo3u

Rough_Rock

I Will Polish Ring My Self with Jewelry cleaner with Soft cloth or polishing rag. :razz:

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock

I'm probably the wrong person to reply because I was terribly anal about my rings. I got my whole set (a new upgraded ering) 6 weeks before my wedding. I refused to wear the ering at all. It sat in the box with the wedding band until the day of the wedding. I wanted them to both look exactly the same. I didn't want the ering to be more worn than the wedding band. I know 6 weeks wasn't that much time for it to wear, but I had never had platinum before and I didn't know what to expect. I knew people would ask to see my rings and I wanted them to look brand spanking new!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I did, and I get it done at least twice a year, if not more often.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock

It ended up only taking a week (even though they said 3 - the manager asked them to make it a priority I think).

Definitely worth doing!! I had one rather large scratch, and many small ones, it came back looking like brand new, no scratches, except for the large scratch, I can see just a hint of where it was. Prongs all came back a little bit thicker too and the ring looked thicker overall. That could be just my imagination... I thought polishing removed metal but I guess I was mistaken! Anyway, well worth it!

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock

Hoofbeats95 I would have loved to do what you did (not wear the rings until the wedding) but I definitely don't have the willpower or discipline for that!! haha

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock

Bumping this old thread!

Eilonwy said:
Hoofbeats95 I would have loved to do what you did (not wear the rings until the wedding) but I definitely don't have the willpower or discipline for that!! haha

How far in advance did you have it done? I am debating whether to send my ring back to Mark Morrell for polishing, but it will take several weeks with shipping both ways, and I would want to have it back no later than 2-3 weeks before the wedding to be safe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LittleRiver|1344429533|3247862 said:
Bumping this old thread!

Eilonwy said:

How far in advance did you have it done? I am debating whether to send my ring back to Mark Morrell for polishing, but it will take several weeks with shipping both ways, and I would want to have it back no later than 2-3 weeks before the wedding to be safe.

Do you live outside the US? Because I don't see how polishing could possibly take that long unless you have some very long shipping involved. If MM has an account with a shipper, then pay him and send the ring overnight both ways. It seems to me it could be done within 1 week if you are in the US. If not, I would find a very high end jeweler locally and have them do it. In fact, that is what I'd do anyway.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
Do you live outside the US? Because I don't see how polishing could possibly take that long unless you have some very long shipping involved. If MM has an account with a shipper, then pay him and send the ring overnight both ways. It seems to me it could be done within 1 week if you are in the US. If not, I would find a very high end jeweler locally and have them do it. In fact, that is what I'd do anyway.

Thanks for your opinion! I live in NYC, so I have absolutely no good reason not to use a local bench. I'm just feeling hesitant to have anyone but Mark work on the ring before the wedding. But I'll have to find someone local for regular polishing, so I might as well start now!

Shiny_Rock

I got my e ring buffed and polished when my husband picked up the wedding bands. The jeweller kept the e ring for a few hours for polishing and cleaning. The jeweller recommended it so the platinum on the wedding band and the platinum on the e ring would match.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results