shape
carat
color
clarity

Did some shopping today.. need some feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
So I found something that I think I may go with.. What is everyone's thoughts?

GIA Cert
Carat - .96
Color - G
Cut - Very good
Clarity - S1
Flr - None
Polish & Sym - Very Good

**EDIT!**
Called them up and they were actually nice enough to give me the info over the phone!
Here's the measurements -
Table - 60%
Depth - 61.2%
Crown height - 13.5%
Crown angle - 34 degrees
Girdle - Very thin
Price - $3800.

But of course, I forgot to ask for the pavillion angle..
14.gif

Should I pull the trigger? The only thing I was a bit iffy about was the Clarity. I wanted something at least VS2... but man, it did look pretty damn good...

30 day money back guarantee also...

Excited!
36.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the necessary info. Priced very well. Waiting for ...the other shoe to drop (?)

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
I'll probably be going back tomorrow if they're open, will get the rest of the info...
Does it really sound too good to be true?
8.gif

**EDIT!**
Just called them up and they were actually nice enough to give me the info over the phone!
Here's the measurements -
Table - 60%
Depth - 61.2%
Crown height - 13.5%
Crown angle - 34 degrees
Girdle - Very thin

Thoughts?
34.gif

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
*Semi-annoying thread "bump" for opinions?*
17.gif

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
As you''ve seen from my other posts, I''m no expert, but seeing as how you haven''t gotten any other feedback I thought i''d throw in my $.02... I like your decision to stay just under a carat. That will definately save some money. I did a search on PS and the price seems pretty decent. My only concern is the cut. I think the table % might be a little high. If I were you I might drop down in color and get a better cut. Also when looking at the GIA cut grade, you must take into consideration that they do some rounding when calculating measurements. As a result, a stone with an AGS cert is probably a better indicator of cut... but it will probably cost more. You are the one that looked at the stone and if you are happy with it thats all that matters. Once again this is information is based on my own personal research and I am probably not qualified to give you the advice you are looking for.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry; discount for very thin girdle.

Also, you need to ask them for the pavilion angle, though it seems it will be deep.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
ditto the info on the pavilion angle. If you want to make use of this forum, and/or just do your due diligence, you''ll get it & use it, as that''s understood to be the most important piece of info for a distance eval.

Also, although the table''s a bit large, some like this.

Overall, you may just like it, anyway, and the size is nice.

Happy Thanksgiving.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely eliminate it right off the bat because of the very thin girdle. If you post another stone, you need to list the diameter measurements as well as crown and pavilion angle. You want the cut grade to say Excellent if GIA and Ideal if AGS. Polish and symmetry should be very good or better. The girdle should be thin, medium, or slightly thick or a combination of those. I''d stick with tables between 54-58% and crown angles 34-35 and the pav. angle will depend on the crown angle.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For ideal cut diamonds the table should be up to 57.5% (not 58).

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses..!
I feel like a schmuck for overlooking the pavillion angle/depth when calling back to ask for the other specs. I know (now...) its an important factor in evaluating the quality of the diamond. Total newbie mistake.
17.gif

What I did tho, was use the "cut advisor" on PS to put in all possibilities of pavillion angle with the rest of the specs that I *do* have...
Seems if the pavillion angle is around 42-43, I'll be getting one hell of a nice rock. If its in the 45 range, not so nice.... And Im guessing it might really be in the 45-46 range due to the thin girdle... I wrote all this info down to bring with me to compare when they open up tomorrow (closed today for Thanksgiving, d4mn!)

Now, assuming the worst case scenario and the pavillion angle is somewhere in the 45-47 range, would this be a definite skip?
Am I sacrificing too much for the seemingly good price?

Also, is the reason for skipping due to the thin girdle because of the ease of chipping? Or is there another reason to skip a thin girdle stone?

Thanks again, you guys rock! (no pun intended!
41.gif
)

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
My concern is the cut but I am curious if you may want to think a little deeper for the pavillion angle that you mentioned but also I like the fact that you were keeping it under a carat.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Have you physically seen the stone? What are the details of the inclusion/s? (Not trying to be nit picky here, but just curious...)

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
Yup. I actually saw this one at a B&M place. Looked great to me, but then again, I''m no expert.
41.gif

The inclusions I saw under the loupe were very minor. It actually looked similar to a VS2 stone I saw there as well.

I''m going back there tomorrow and I think I may buy it. I''ll post the actual GIA report # here once I get it so that you guys can have all the necessary details for an eval. Since its still classified as a "Very Good" cut by the GIA, it can''t be all too bad right?

I spoke to a GIA certified friend of mine and he said that the very thin girdle shouldn''t be too much of an issue since I''m getting a 6 prong platinum setting... She has size 3.5 fingers. I''m hoping this ring will look great on her...
17.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/60.asp

The above is the link from the knowledge section on this board about 60% tables, some do like them but most people on these boards are looking for ideal or near to ideal measurements.

In your post you mention a 42-43 angle would give you a nice rock but I think you have mistaken this with 42-43%, notice there are two measurement types for crown and pavillion on the HCA. Angles are more reliable so this is the measurement you should ask for from the jeweller but an angle of 42-43 would not be correct.

I know you have said a gemologist friend of yours said very thin would not be a problem with the six prong setting, but most of the experts here, have said a small portion of the girdle being very thin is okay but a large length of very thin would be susceptible to chipping.

Another point to mention is that a well cut 1 carat round should measure 6.5mm x 6.5mm so you should check with the jeweller on the millimetre measurements of the diamond, this should be on the GIA certificate already. If the stone is deep there will be less diameter, so you would be paying for diamond weight you could not see. It has been said here before that some stones in malls of a weight of 1 carat size show a face up size of three quarters of a carat because of hidden weight. (Just for information a well cut threequarter carat round should measure 5.8mm x 5.8mm).

ProposeGuy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for pointing out the 60/60 Pyramid.
I''m about to head back over to the jeweler to take another look. May come back with it! Wish me luck everyone! This might be it...
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results