shape
carat
color
clarity

did it hurt to get your ears pierced?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 6:32:46 PM
Author: Sparkster
I got mine done when I was about four (1975). It was horrible. My mum enlisted the help of one of her friends to torture me. They used a sewing needle and just pushed it through my lobes - NO ICE, NO ANTISEPTIC - NOTHING. That''s just the way it was done back then. It was horrible but completely worth it - especially now that I''ve got diamond earrings.
36.gif
was that the dental floss method - where they pull a thick string through your ear and every day they wiggle it to heal?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I got the first holes when I was 7 or 8. Just felt a pinch and then hot ears, but no significant pain that I can remember.

I got the second holes in high school. My mom was against it, so I had to wait til my sister turned 18 to take me. Same as the first holes - hot ears.

I got the third ones after high school graduation, and then two on the right cartilage. Hot ears again.

Got my belly pierced in college. Felt a jab but no pain or hotness or redness.

I think I have a high tolerance of pain. Now I just need more diamond studs. hehehe

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got mine done when I was about four (1975). It was horrible. My mum enlisted the help of one of her friends to torture me. They used a sewing needle and just pushed it through my lobes - NO ICE, NO ANTISEPTIC - NOTHING. That''s just the way it was done back then. It was horrible but completely worth it - especially now that I''ve got diamond earrings.
36.gif
That''s insane. I highly doubt my mom did that to me when I got ''em done at age 2 (1976)...there HAD to be a gun back then...!!!
32.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 7:38:15 PM
Author: FireGoddess

36.gif
That''s insane. I highly doubt my mom did that to me when I got ''em done at age 2 (1976)...there HAD to be a gun back then...!!!
32.gif
get this - they use a stapler now. didn''t hurt at all.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 6:34:54 PM
Author: ladykemma

36.gif
was that the dental floss method - where they pull a thick string through your ear and every day they wiggle it to heal?
No dental floss. Just a sewing needle to make the hole, then they put the sleeper earrings through. I''m pretty sure they had guns back then but my parents were uneducated migrants. That''s the way it would have been done back in the peasant chinese villages (where my folks are from), and that''s the way they did it to me in Australia. My sister also had hers done at the same time (she was 7). She let her ears close a few years later and had then redone during her teens (1980''s). By then, my mum and sister were more educated and had them done at a chemists.

Starset

Shiny_Rock
This whole thread makes me queasy! But then again I don''t like being around needles or blood or anything puncturing the skin. Remember in grade school when the guys would run safety pins through the outer layer of their finger skin and the pin would appear to be floating?
14.gif
I knew they had laced it through their skin
emotion-41.gif

Anyway...I begged my mom to get my ears pierced but she said absolutely not I wasn''t old enough. For my sixth birthday my Grandmother (dad''s mom) asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told her I wanted my ears pierced. She asked me, "is that okay with your mother?" I said, "oh yes, she just hasn''t had the time to take me."

After the trip to the department store, Grandma brought me home that afternoon and said to my mom and dad, look how pretty she looks - I think my mom''s face looked something like this
33.gif
mixed with
29.gif
. I don''t remember it hurting at all.

My younger sister (at the age of 15) never made it past the one ear. She just let it heal up. I think the noise scared her away more than anything. To this day, at the age of 26, her ears are not pierced.

When I got my navel pierced I was nervous but okay. Twenty minutes later in a restaurant, I fell out of my chair passed out in a cold sweat. Knocked my head on the ceramic tile floor pretty good, too.

Monarch I''m allergic to nickel, too.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I have been going back & fourth with my husband on whether or not we should get our daughters ears pierced as a baby (Maybe at 6 months?) or wait until she asks to get her ears pierced. If we get them done as a baby she wont remember getting it done & wont have to worry about it later. If we wait we can make it her first "grown up" decision. I just hope if we decide to wait she wont be too afraid to get her ears pierced.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hey VegasAngel,

This may be something to consider. I had always heard that if the ears are pierced as a baby, they can be off centre when the ears grow to full size. I don''t know the truth in it, but it makes sense to me. My ears are not the same size they were when I was two and my earlobes have grown with them. Has anyone had their ears pierced as a baby and have off centre holes?? Or had their ears pierced as a baby, with no consequences whatsoever??

I wish you well,

Bridget

Starset

Shiny_Rock
I remember at the ripe old age of 6 being very proud to have made such a ''big girl'' decision. I say wait until she asks.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
As for piercing her as a baby...I wouldn''t do it personally. I know the risk of infection isn''t any greater since she''s young, but it would just scare me a lot more if my teeny baby had an infection than if my 6 or 10 year old did. But I''m very much a better-safe-than-sorry person in general, so that might just be me.
20.gif
Also, hadn''t heard the ear lobe thing before, but that makes sense to me.

I got my ears pierced when I was 10 or 11 and I remember begging my mom for a looooong time before she agreed that I could do it on my next birthday. I was sooooooo excited and happy; I don''t remember being scared at all, and it didn''t hurt much. It was kind of achey for the next week or two when I touched the holes/slept on them, but I had wanted earrings SO MUCH I don''t think I even mentioned it to my parents.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results