shape
carat
color
clarity

did it hurt to get your ears pierced?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
did it hurt to get your ears pierced? what was your experience?

I'll go first: it did not hurt but the clicky noise of the "piercing thingie" next to my ear made me jump. the young ladies did a fine job at piercing pagoda in the mall. this was done for second holes at age 42 -- last christmas.

I'm such a diamond junkie that i had second holes done so i could wear my studs all the time.

next?

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
I got my ears pierced for the first time when I was 10 and I remember that it didnt really hurt but pinched and my ears felt "hot" and sore for a few days afterwards. They weren''t infected or anything but I do remember being afraid to sleep on my ears for fear of hurting my new piercings!

I got my second holes in each lobe in high school and they didnt hurt at all.

Freshman year in college I got the upper cartilage on my right ear pierced...and THAT hurt like a @#$%^ (for me it hurt more than when I pierced my navel)

E B

Ideal_Rock
For a second...no worse than someone pinching your arm quickly. If they become infected...now that's pain.

I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 13, so I went a couple of days after my birthday to a place that didn't use guns. They did it themselves, with a needle, so the earrings wouldn't look "off-center" (the guns aren't that precise). I went back at 18 to get a ring in the upper part of my ear, and had it for about a year...but yes, infection came, and I let it close. So not worth the effort!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t think it hurt very much, but my ears did swell a bit and felt really hot! I got my bellybutton pierced years ago, and it didn''t hurt at all.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
No I don''t think it hurts more than I pinch on the arm either, and I have a very low tolerance for pain according to my doctors.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I have four holes in one ear and one in the other. I HAVE to be differant. I did it in HS and just never caught the other ear up. The one at the very top of my ear in the cartlidge hurt the worst getting it done, but the third hole up on my ear hurt worse and longer afterwards. Like tawn I had a ''burning'' sensation for days. Talk about pain.
32.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a funny story to tell. I got mine pierced by my doctor. Mom wouldn''t take me so our housekeeper did. My brother came along for the ride. Not to make me feel better, he just wanted to torture me . I was 12 and he was 18. Anyway they are sitting in the waiting room cracking jokes. My brother asks Elizabeth ( a saint in my eyes for putting up with us ) What are we having for dinner. She says pork chops and applesauce AKA Brady Bunch. The doctor is about to pierce my ear and laughs his as* off. I was like hey, don''t listen to them and don''t miss buddy. Then to ear #2, he gets a phone call just as he is about to do it and answers the phone. Meanwhile in the waiting room my brother was still mimicking the whole pork chops and applesauce thing, I could have killed him. But thank god they were even, and not askew as could have happend. I laugh every time I think of it.
3.gif
11.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I had my second hole pierced in 1988, I let it grow back up in 1989.
20.gif
I remember that it pinched just for a few seconds and then felt hot for the next few days. My problem was that I never could get comfortable wearing earrings in my second hole. They stayed sore all the time and I finally got fed up and let them grow over. Perhaps a pair of diamond studs would have made them all better!! At the time I was still a poor struggling single gal just out of college and diamonds definately weren''t in the budget.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 7:34:59 PM
Author: kaleigh
I have a funny story to tell. I got mine pierced by my doctor. Mom wouldn't take me so our housekeeper did. My brother came along for the ride. Not to make me feel better, he just wanted to torture me . I was 12 and he was 18. Anyway they are sitting in the waiting room cracking jokes. My brother asks Elizabeth ( a saint in my eyes for putting up with us ) What are we having for dinner. She says pork chops and applesauce AKA Brady Bunch. The doctor is about to pierce my ear and laughs his as* off. I was like hey, don't listen to them and don't miss buddy. Then to ear #2, he gets a phone call just as he is about to do it and answers the phone. Meanwhile in the waiting room my brother was still mimicking the whole pork chops and applesauce thing, I could have killed him. But thank god they were even, and not askew as could have happend. I laugh every time I think of it.
3.gif
11.gif
Maybe Mom knew better.
27.gif
When I took my oldest daughter she was ten and the youngest was three. The oldest was crying. She wanted pierced ears just not the piercing part.
32.gif
My youngest made fun of her so bad I called her bluff and agreed to let her get hers done, thinking she'd back out. She did it like a trouper, and stuck her tounge out at her sister and called her a crybaby. Well, the oldest one finally got settled down, got in the chair, and let the woman put the dot on her ear with the marker. She then screamed bloody murder, ran out of the store crying and I still had to pay for the starter earrings the lady was going to use because they were already opened.
20.gif
It was another three years before my older daughter would finally get them done.
Your Mother made a very smart decision.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA!! I forgot to mention that Mom didn''t take me because she didn''t believe in getting your ears pierced. Once I got home, she thought they looked great. So they next day she and her best friend got them pierced together at the mall. They were both in their 40''s!!
2.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
One of my sorority sisters in college did mine and it is a miracle that they are even and in the right place! She used a needle and held a Tampax behind my ear!!! I never felt a thing.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
nope, no pain really. I got them done when I was about 9. They''re great--I''ve never had a problem with them closing, never got badly infected...
They were done with a gun, which I wouldn''t do again if I knew bc it is supposedly hard to sterilize a needle gun.

Now watching my friend get her nipples done almost made me sick. That...yikes. I mean I don''t have a problem with it for others, but it squiks me to think about the procedure.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 8:16:08 PM
Author: rainbowtrout
nope, no pain really. I got them done when I was about 9. They''re great--I''ve never had a problem with them closing, never got badly infected...
They were done with a gun, which I wouldn''t do again if I knew bc it is supposedly hard to sterilize a needle gun.

Now watching my friend get her nipples done almost made me sick. That...yikes. I mean I don''t have a problem with it for others, but it squiks me to think about the procedure.
Yikes how painful that must be!!!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I had my ears done in middle school and had such a hard time that I let them close up. I took really good care of them and left the studs in longer than I needed just to be sure but I just couldn''t get the earrings in comfortably. It hurt really bad to put them in. Someone said maybe they weren''t straight (done at an angle?) and so that''s why I couldnt'' get the earrings in easily. Anyhoo, I haven''t gone back since (this was at the mall) for fear it will happen again so I wear clips and let me tell you how hard it is to find decent clipon earrings! Someday I''d like to get them pierced again but I''m scared...
emcrook.gif
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I would love to wear diamond studs someday! But is the bling worth the possible pain for me? I haven''t decided yet.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 8:27:43 PM

Date: 4/29/2006 8:16:08 PM
Author: rainbowtrout

Yikes how painful that must be!!!
The thought actually made me shudder! I can''t even begin to imagine...and I thought I was brave with the bellybutton piercing, which I did because my husband loved it??

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hrm...my ears weren''t a big deal..I had 3 in one ear plus a piercing at the top and two on the other. Of course, I let the others grow in except the first ones. My mom took me when I was 12 to get them done. She always had a phobia and now she finally got them pierced three years ago in her fifties!!
My mom didn''t care about the holes in my ears....she did care when I got my belly button pierced though and my tongue. Holy crap she about killed me
32.gif
But, I had just turned 21
3.gif
and it was a spring break thing. The tongue piercing didn''t hurt when they did it but hurt and swelled for a few days after. Couldn''t eat even if I tried. Within a week, it was fine though and I was able to change it to a regular sized one. Anyway, took it out after 6 months, when I started law school..it just didn''t seem right or professional but they do make those plastic clear thingies that look like you don''t have a piercing at all.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
The one thing my father was very strict about was ear piercing. My older sister was forced to wait until her 13th birthday, so it would not have been "fair" to her for us younger ones to have it done before. My thought was, what does she care, her ears are pierced! I got the bottom holes pierced at 13, then I did another one in my left ear by myself with a safety pin. Then at 15 I got the cartilage pierced at the top of my left ear with a gun, that hurt so much. I couldn''t sleep on that side at *all* for 6 months. My father was royally pissed, but never said anything about it. Then I had a second piercing in the cartilage on the same ear about 4 or 5 years ago. I went to a piercing place, way more expensive, but definitely worth it. They used a hollow needle and punched the cartilage out. It sounds gross, but only took a few weeks to a month to heal, because the cartilage was gone, not merely pushed aside.

I can pretty much wear any metal in the earlobes, but the top holes are super sensitive. I still wear the surgical steel earrings that they were pierced with. I have never tried platinum, but I would love to have ACA .10 pointers or so in platinum for those holes. Maybe the teeny tiny DBTY bezel set style. Something that will sit close to the ear : )

I wish you well,

Bridget

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
does it hurt less for a guy?
20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 10:02:45 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
20.gif
No it hurts more cause guys are wimps!!
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2006 10:06:27 PM

20.gif
3.gif
now you got me scare. guess i can stop looking for a 1.5ct stud.
7.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I got my ears pierced when I was 16. They held a piece of cork behind the ear and manually pushed the post through it. There was no gun. It hurt a lot! Then my mom was looking at me and thought the holes didn''t look even. (they weren''t) She said maybe I should have one redone. I said "But won''t it be so close, that it will rip?" At that point, just thinking about ripping skin and being sqeamish like I was, I almost fainted. That was a fun experience.

Years later, I got second holes with the gun (I have since let one close up) and it just smarted a bit. I remember my sister was in high school when her boyfriend pierced her ears for her, with a needle! Loads of fun!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 10:06:27 PM

20.gif
3.gif
Good one Lisa!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2006 7:34:59 PM
I have a funny story to tell. I got mine pierced by my doctor. Mom wouldn''t take me so our housekeeper did. My brother came along for the ride. Not to make me feel better, he just wanted to torture me . I was 12 and he was 18. Anyway they are sitting in the waiting room cracking jokes. My brother asks Elizabeth ( a saint in my eyes for putting up with us ) What are we having for dinner. She says pork chops and applesauce AKA Brady Bunch. The doctor is about to pierce my ear and laughs his as* off. I was like hey, don''t listen to them and don''t miss buddy. Then to ear #2, he gets a phone call just as he is about to do it and answers the phone. Meanwhile in the waiting room my brother was still mimicking the whole pork chops and applesauce thing, I could have killed him. But thank god they were even, and not askew as could have happend. I laugh every time I think of it.
3.gif
11.gif
My dad thought any piercing was defiling your body. he wouldn''t let me do it. He died when I was 15 and my mom let me. I was a bit of a wimp, so I had them done at the ear doctor''s. Do not recall it hurting too much. Never had an infection. But I was grossed out that you had to turn the little starter studs so the holes would heal properly. I also do not like, to this day, to wear heavy earrings...two of my friends ripped their piercing holes (they stretched so far they eventually tore) and had to have them sewn up and repierced...nasty...

K: Not to be off topic, but an old boyfriend of mine used to imitate that because one night, his sis asked what was for dinner and he said, "pork chops and applesauce" in a funny voice, copying Peter Brady...she didn''t get it (not a Brady Bunch fan maybe? and he never let up on her...that is all he woudl say they were ever having for dinner. I am glad you have that nice memory!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s funny because Elizabeth our housekeeper ( more like a mom to me ) called me tonight. And I said do you remember what happened when I got my ears pierced, to which she replied.... Pork chops and apple sauce. We had such fun reliving a bunch of stuff that happened. It''s great because she helps keep my brother''s memory alive, she''ll tell me stories that even I had forgotten. Ok sorry way off topic.....
5.gif

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
I got my first holes done when I was 5. My best friend got hers done and I was so excited I asked my mom if I could get mine done as soon as she picked me up from school. She took me to the mall the next weekend and I was waiting to get mine done, when the girl in the chair had the first hole pierced she just burst into tears and I chickened out. The next week at school my friend assured me it was no big deal so I had my mom take me back the next weekend (she told me if I chickened out again I had to wait a year till we tried again
3.gif
) and I don''t remember it hurting at all.

I have 7 holes in each ear now, and the only time any of them hurt was the top two holes on my left ear. I got them done at the same time, and when the lady put the jewelry in she reversed the hoops (I wanted the bigger one on bottom) so she pulled them out and pushed them into the raw holes
14.gif
It HURT and took forever for them to heal but they''re fine now.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I had mine done when I was nine. I still vividly remember getting them done and my ears stinging afterwards but it was all worth it to me! lol

I had my second ear holes done when I was around 20 but I never used them for very long but I periodically stick an earring in so they don''t grow completely over..... just in case I want to use them for yummy diamond studs!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s so funny that we remember to a T this point of our lives!

I had mine pierced after much begging (my mom still doesn''t have hers pierced at 65 yrs. old.) I don''t remember experiencing any pain at 7 years old, but shortly after being pierced I experienced feeling "lumps" in my neck. I went through all kinds of dr.''s appointments and testing--they thought I had Hodgkin''s disease (cancer of the lymph nodes). Finally it was determined that I was allergic to nickel and I had to take the earrings out, even though my earlobes were not infected. Arrrgh!

At 14 I re-pierced them myself. (I know, yuck.) From that I found I could only wear 14k or plat. and stuck to one hole per ear for a few years. When I got to college, I had two more holes put in each ear-I was crazy for earrings! Then I just decided "real" earrings were too expensive to keep buying for my new holes, and let them grow over. I''ve always kept the "original" holes, and at 28 they are fine, but only because I wear 14k or plat. studs. Jeez. My mom had the same allergy so no wonder she didn''t want me messing with my ears, lol!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Did it hurt? Not really, just for a minute or so. Though I really hated having to turn the earnings....ewww, just wierd to me LOL.

The first time I had them done I was in third grade I think. I had begged my mother, and she finally let me do it. We went to the mall, and when the woman did the first hole, my mother said I literally jumped in the air LOL. I ended up taking the earrings out a year later or so because they were bothering me. I think I had them repierced in fifth grade, and to this day still have them with no problems. About two years later, I convinced my mother to let me get my second hole done. No problems either, and still have them. And once I turned 18, I got a third hole done, which I still have today but rarely use. I also got my cartilage done too in one ear, which actually did not bother me at all. After a year or so though, I decided that I really didn''t want that one, so I let it close.
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t remember the first hole in each ear...my parents did that when I was 2 years old.

The second hole - no sweat. More the anticipation freaked me out, really.
2.gif
But mine never got infected - ouchy!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I got mine done when I was about four (1975). It was horrible. My mum enlisted the help of one of her friends to torture me. They used a sewing needle and just pushed it through my lobes - NO ICE, NO ANTISEPTIC - NOTHING. That's just the way it was done back then. It was horrible but completely worth it - especially now that I've got diamond earrings.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results