shape
carat
color
clarity

did i pay too much

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
i posted this before and everyone was ver helpful about my girdle question - thanks! but i kinda need to know if i overpaid. i don't mind paying a little bit of a premium for great service, but i'm not too sure about the girdle thickness now!any input would be great!!!just bought a 1.76 carat, I, VS1, round brilliant stone. the table is 63% and the total depth is 59.9. don't know the crown and pavillion angles, but the stone looks great. measurememts: 7.84 - 7.94 x 4.70mm. culet - none, flourescence - faint. polish and symmetry both very good.
my concern is that the girdle is listed on the GIA cert as extremely thin to slightly thick!i totally trust this jeweler and the stone did not chip when it was set. my question is, should i be very concerned about the girdle? or does GIA sometimes exxagerate? i really don't think my guy would sell me a crappy stone?! maybe i'm wrong... it is set in a tiffany setting. cost for the stone was $11,000

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hello,I know who the cutter was for that diamond.
You paid about $1000 above their cost.
They should have charged you just $500 above.
Did you contact any other vendors that don't advertise before you bought this diamond?
It's a beautiful stone anyway.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another opinion:No, you did not pay too much! Nearly everyone pays way more. You might have been able to pay a bit less, but not a truly large amount less.You can shop til you drop if that's what you want to do. Most folks prefer to be treated fairly and pay a fair profit to a retail seller. Do you cook every meal at home to save the maximum money or do you go out to dinner sometimes and pay a premium for someone else to do the work? You are the best judge of what constitutes a definition of "too much".Anyone else's opinion is hardly worthy to consider unless they know you very well on a close personal basis.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear J,
I would not worry at all about the girdle unless it is in an exposed setting with the thin bit in a vunerable position, and even then thin is not extremely thin.
Also any dealer who says what margin another dealer should charge has no right to do so in my opinion, especially with out the knowledge of level of services provided.Your stone is likely to have a cut adviser score of good, in the +5 range.
Garry Holloway

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by moediamond:
Hello,I know who the cutter was for that diamond.
You paid about $1000 above their cost.
They should have charged you just $500 above.
Did you contact any other vendors that don't advertise before you bought this diamond?
It's a beautiful stone anyway.

hello and thank you!!! any thoughts on what might be going on with the girdle? i think it might be only extremely thin in one very small spot...also, how do you know the cutter? are you sure that it is the same stone? also, any ideas what the crown and pavillion angles are? i did not get a sarin report, but would like to run it through the cut advisor.thanks again!j

Hi l0mp012!If the stone did not chip when set, and it is not in a vulnerable position, you shouldn´t worry! It sounds like a beautiful stone and the price was more than fair! Enjoy your beautiful diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results