shape
carat
color
clarity

did i pay too much

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikeper66

Rough_Rock
I bought a GIA cert. 1.5 carat round diamond color-E clarity-sI1 table 53 depth 63.5 polish/semetry-both good florescence-none. I payed $9000.00 for the stone any help is greatly appreciated

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any other measurements such as the diameter and crown and pavilion angles? It is pretty deep, so I suspect it may not face up as large as a typical 1.5 ct. We can''t tell much about cut without all the measurements.

mikeper66

Rough_Rock
the measurements on the gia cert are 7.14 7.20 4.55

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 11:14:32 PM
Author: mikeper66
the measurements on the gia cert are 7.14 7.20 4.55
Yes, that is about the size of a 1.35 to 1.4 ct. stone from the diameter. You are paying for weight in the depth so the diamond appears smaller than it would if it had excellent proprotions. It should be about 7.4 mm if well cut.

If you are still in the return period, you can start over if you want a better cut stone. But you won't get an ideal cut 1.5 at that price in E SI1, either. But you might get a 1.3 that IS ideal cut that appears just as big as that one but it'll have a much better overall appearance!

An example:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4974/

mikeper66

Rough_Rock
so i guess i payed too much?

mikeper66

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker 2006 do you think I moverpaid?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price might be reasonable, but you may want to return the diamond anyways. The stone is overly deep and will face up like a smaller stone. I also probably wouldn''t buy a stone with good polish and symmetry, but I can''t say more about the cut unless you provide crown and pavillion angles.

mikeper66

Rough_Rock
The guy in the store told me the diamond is ideal cut he emailed the gia cert. now im very confused by what it says. I feel like it''s not really idel cut. any thoughts?

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
It would help to know if the GIA certificate has the crown and pivilion angles.
Post up the GIA number

On a side note (if it helps)
I bought a second hand GIA certed 1.4 RB F VS2 for $8750

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 12:48:21 AM
Author: mikeper66
The guy in the store told me the diamond is ideal cut he emailed the gia cert. now im very confused by what it says. I feel like it's not really idel cut. any thoughts?
Regrettably some vendors use the term Ideal Cut rather loosely. The only meaningful use of this term pertains to AGS 0 Ideal Cut, apart from that it is no guarantee of a well cut diamond.

I agree with the advice DS and KC gave above, the diamond is probably not the best cut and is facing up small for the weight. Pricing, you can use the Pricescope your Diamond tool above to find the prices of similar. The diamonds shown are sold online so these are typically cheaper than brick and mortar stores, so take that into account when comparing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results