shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I pay too much at Kay''s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dancergrrrl3

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I''m new to posting, but not to researching these awesome and informative forums! I hope I''m posting this in the right forum...and sorry in advance to the mods if I''m not!

The fiance and I bought my bridal set tonite at Kay''s...and I''m trying to decide if I paid too much. ;-)

2 ct. total weight in white gold for the set = $2650
e-ring 1 1/4 tw center princess stone 5/8ct. with 12 sidestones .05-.065ct each
w-band 3/4 tw 15 stones .48 each
not certified, but told they were at least "I" color and S12 clarity

I tried to upload a picture, but it won''t let me? I am nervous about how much I paid because I have been checking out James Allen, Blue Nile, Primestyle, ect. and they have lower prices...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Kay's has typically higer pricers and lower quality. But if you love it .. enjoy it!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your engagement!

What is most important is that you like your ring, that''s really all that matters.

however...I am seconding charmy poo that Kay''s is typically higher prices and lower quality. If you are still within the return period then I''d call some other vendors and see if they can offer you better prices and/or higher quality.

LovelyHearts

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I''ve been to Kay''s many times and I feel like the majority of their items are way overpriced, not to mention the quality is not as good. Are you still within the window to return them? If not, I would say don''t worry about it and enjoy them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went to Key's website and here is a partial snip:

Link

Our Return/Refund Policy
If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it within 60 days to any Kay Jewelers or kay.com. Or you may exchange it within 90 days of purchase at any Kay Jewelers.* Watches may be returned within 30 days at any Kay Jewelers or kay.com. Or exchanged within 30 days at any Kay Jewelers.* Watches must be in original condition (unworn and unaltered) and accompanied by the original packaging, instructions and warranty documents. *Exchanges are not accepted at kay.com.

Kay.com purchases shipped to a store may only be returned to any Kay Jewelers store location.

... ...

All returns are subject to inspection by our Quality Assurance team before a refund is processed.

We will credit your original method of payment excluding delivery charges within 3 weeks of receiving your return.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on getting engaged! What matters most is if you LOVE the ring. If you don''t, return it and get a better one.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are concerned then start over. That is a tidy sum of money for good of completely unknown quality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 2:51:51 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
If you are concerned then start over. That is a tidy sum of money for goods of completely unknown quality.
Ditto.
21.gif

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
A 1.25 ct diamond on BN is over $5K (I,SI1), so it sounds like you had a budget in mind. Tell us what your budget is, and the experts (not me), can help.

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 7:23:13 AM
Author: Bosie
A 1.25 ct diamond on BN is over $5K (I,SI1), so it sounds like you had a budget in mind. Tell us what your budget is, and the experts (not me), can help.

OP is talking in total carat weight, for the e-ring it is 1.25 total weight, but the center stone is 0.625 carat princess cut. The remainder carat weight is made up in the 12 side stones.

dancergrrrl3

Rough_Rock
You guys, thank you thank you THANK YOU for all your replies and help so far! I have had so many people tell me this is the place to go for diamond feedback! Ya'll rock! (no pun intended LOL) Anyway, yeah, my budget would be $2500 or less preferably, obviously I'm a little flexible when I see something I love. :)

this is the set that I'm after:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-white-gold_5240

and I like the size of the 2 ct tw for the set that we found at Kay's...but I would probably also be OK with maybe a bigger center diamond and smaller sidestones too...

Lestat, you said the center stone on mine is .625 (after I posted it was 3/8). Is that the size, because I looked up a diamond conversion chart and it said 3/8 is equal to .37 - .44...I'm so confused!

<------
35.gif
edit to add: I set my avatar to a picture of the set we just bought at Kay's.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your first post says 5/8, did you mean to post 3/8?

dancergrrrl3

Rough_Rock
oh. duh. that would be why I''m confused! The center stone IS a 5/8, but for some reason I just kept looking at the 3/8 conversion! So yes, 5/8 carat princess cut center stone. I think I got hosed after looking online at some pricing, and I think I''m going to take it back, after all, it isn''t certified and I have read horrible reviews on the quality of their diamonds.
33.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS! I think you''d be much happier with a quality stone; which fellow PSers can certainly help you find. Kay''s doesn''t have the best quality, even though they''ll tell to otherwise. And, they do mark up their prices quite substantionally.

I bet if you post your specifications on a diamond, you''ll get a lot of suggestions!

dancergrrrl3

Rough_Rock
thanks beachrunner! I haven''t had anyone say "Kay''s is great" yet, and so I think I should take it back, I want a stunner, but I am also concerned about the quality! I don''t want a crappy rock!

would it be appropriate for me to start a new thread with the specs I want, or am I supposed to continue it on this one?

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I''m in aggreance with the other posters. You can find a much more lovely diamond for much cheaper.

Here are a few lovely diamonds in a great price range:
.55, G VS2, but the visible difference from .55 to .625 will be negligible.

.61, F, VS2

Roxie Bling

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/14/2010 8:47:53 PM
Author: dancergrrrl3

would it be appropriate for me to start a new thread with the specs I want, or am I supposed to continue it on this one?

I''d start a new thread. Put all your desired specs in your first post and you should get some great suggestions.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d start a new thread and give us your budget.... Not every kiss begins with K. It should be every Kiss begins with CUT!!!! (I need to TM that)
2.gif

Because the Cut is key to a beautiful diamond.
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2010 12:17:01 AM
Author: Kaleigh
I''d start a new thread and give us your budget.... Not every kiss begins with K. It should be every Kiss begins with CUT!!!! (I need to TM that)
2.gif

Because the Cut is key to a beautiful diamond.
2.gif
haha!

dancergrrrl3

Rough_Rock
LOL, yeah I guess not every kiss begins with Kay! They will be getting their set back...and I am going to start a new thread to get some help from all you fabulous guys and gals in here! Also, I think I will be looking into Platinum vs. the white gold because it looks like I won't be paying as much for the diamond and can upgrade to platinum! you guys have been so helpful and I cannot express how grateful I am for all of your help!
28.gif

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/15/2010 1:23:44 PM
LOL, yeah I guess not every kiss begins with Kay! They will be getting their set back...and I am going to start a new thread to get some help from all you fabulous guys and gals in here! Also, I think I will be looking into Platinum vs. the white gold because it looks like I won''t be paying as much for the diamond and can upgrade to platinum! you guys have been so helpful and I cannot express how grateful I am for all of your help!
28.gif

Sometimes a kiss begins with beer.
2.gif

Are you still building your own ring?

gemdandy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 10:56:31 AM
Author: terceslil

Date: 2/15/2010 1:23:44 PM
LOL, yeah I guess not every kiss begins with Kay! They will be getting their set back...and I am going to start a new thread to get some help from all you fabulous guys and gals in here! Also, I think I will be looking into Platinum vs. the white gold because it looks like I won''t be paying as much for the diamond and can upgrade to platinum! you guys have been so helpful and I cannot express how grateful I am for all of your help!
28.gif

Sometimes a kiss begins with beer.
2.gif

Are you still building your own ring?
LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results