shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I pay to much to repair my ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starberrieslove

Rough_Rock
I wanted to create a ring that no else has. My birth stone is aquamarine. I found a 4.9 clean stone. I paid 42.00. My jeweler and another said that was a good price for the stone. 15.00 shipping and handling. I then purchased a 18k and Platinum mounting with .05 baguettes on the side. I paid 65.00 for that. 5.00 shipping and handling. My jeweler was not in so I went to one down the mall from him. The guy working there told me I needed to replace the head because the stone was very large. He sent it out so I can get an estimate on it to see how much it was going to cost to repair it.. While I was there I asked him how much does he think the ring was worth. He said he was not sure of the exact amount but he said 700.00 or maybe more. I was like wow. He said the diamonds alone are probably worth 600.00. Ok not bad. I spent 132.00 and the ring is worth 700.00 or more. He called me back and said it will cost 160.00 to fix. Is that a lot to replace the head. He said because the stone was so large and it was going to be a lot of gold. Is that a fair and reasonable price to replace the head. I guess I should not be complaining on a ring I would pay 287.00 total and the ring is worth more. I told him to go on and fix it because he had the ring for a week and I did not feel like having him send it back to the store so I can price it else where and have to wait longer then I will now. So is 160.00 a lot to replace the head of a ring to accommodate a 4.9 ct pear shape aquamarine stone. Size 13 x 10.5

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, $600. for .05 baguettes? How many are there?

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Two places quoted me $100 to set a 1 ct stone. If that is fair, then $160 should also be fair. I think a head costs about $35 in many cases for the part by mail order.

student

Shiny_Rock
There's no point worrying too much about it now if you've already committed to working with this jeweller (and the amount isn't all that large anyway), but I'd be cautious about him in the future. It sounds to me like he might have given you an inflated estimate of the total value of your ring in order to make his repair charge seem small in comparison. Say your ring will actually be worth $200: then $160 for a repair is pretty steep. I am not an expert, though, just a consumer.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I bet he was just afraid to undervalue a ring you paid a lot for. I think this is more likely.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I paid $150 for a PLAT head and $100 for a WG head. I've paid only $20 to set a stone.

How could the stone and the setting have cost you so little $?

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/3/2002 11:14:04 AM

I paid $150 for a PLAT head and $100 for a WG head. I've paid only $20 to set a stone.

How could the stone and the setting have cost you so little $?

----------------

When you say "$150 for a plat head," do you mean just the head (as in a jewelry-makers part), or a "platinum headed ring?"

Yeah, I see places that will set a stone for $20 per carat now that I am searching more.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Just the basket part...not the rest of the setting.

starberrieslove

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the response. There were two baguetts on each side. He said they were really good diamonds in clarity and color. I think he was even surprised that I got it so cheap. I bid on the 18k and Plat mount. I took a chance because if it was not what I expected I could return it.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
So this jeweler told you that the diamonds alone (2 .05 baguettes) were worth $600.? I can't believe that they are. I have 3/4ct of baguettes in a setting that cost me $500. & in another ring, I have 1/2 carat of baguettes that cost $350. (both prices included the gold they were mounted in). So I'd have to agree that that estimation was inflated, and probably to offset the price they charged you. (Sorry!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results