shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I overpay for my girl's engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acc

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a Lazare Kaplan diamond (1.55, H, VS1, round) for my girlfriend engagement ring? I paid 13,600 for the diamond w/o tax. I'm a first time buyer of diamonds, but I did a little reading up, but I still not sure if I paid a good price or not?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
If you bought it in the local brick-&-mortar store and the diamond has AGS-ideal grading report - perhaps you've paid a fair price. Do you and your girl like the diamond?Internet prices usually are 10-30% lower. So buying over the web could save you a couple of thousands for the similar branded ideal cut.Could you post here the proportions of your diamonds from AGS report?Leonid

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Acc,This is a great diamond and although you could get a close one cheaper in the web, for B&M store it is a reasonable price.There is one thing I'd like to note. Often people checking the diamonds they already bought on the Cut Adviser and get upset if their diamond is not scoring good enough. I'm not feeling comfortable about it.Firstly, the Cut Adviser is designed to help people to select a better diamond - not to ruin the joy after the diamond was bought. Secondly, when it comes to brand name diamonds, the price is not only dependent on the proportions – symmetry and quality of craftsmanship is not included into the Cut Adviser.As for your diamond proportions, it has just a little deep pavilion. Otherwise this is a great diamond. Enjoy it and don’t let our theoretical calculations upset you.Leonid

lajewelman

Rough_Rock
hey cut nut or other diamond experts,
i was over in amsterdam last fall and purchased a loose diamond (thinking it was cheaper over there). i think i might have overpaid, but i would appreciate your opinion on the diamond. it is very nice and the specs are as follows:cut: princess
weight: 1.5
clarity: VS2
color: g
flourescence: none
measurements: 6.44-6.64x4.5 mm
depth: 69.9%
table: 87.1%
crown height: 5.4%
pavillion depth: 61.2%
girdle: medium
culet: point
proportions: goodi work in downtown LA near the famed jewelry district and have seen very low prices for similar diamonds. i paid $10k for mine in amsterdam that is certified by the ADL (amsterdam diamond laboratory) did i pay too much and if so how much more? thank you!

acc

Rough_Rock
Leonid, Here are the specs..
AGS certified
Cut :0
Polish: ideal
Sym: ideal
Prop: ideal
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.1%
Pavillion Ang: 41.1%
Depth: 60.9%
Measurements: 7.49 - 7.52 x 4.57 mm

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
LAjewelman, sorry to say that but even assuming that ADL grades are consistent with GIA it seems you overpaid about $2K.
frown.gif
Furthermore I'm not sure whether 87% table is ok - it bring the diamond to AGA 4 class.I hope Oldminer will give you his insight. He is the real expert.leonid

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
lAZARE KAPLAN are associated with the original family company that was related to Tolkowsky. Part of the value you have paid is the excellent established name of LK if you ever decide to sell your diamond.
Value can be a strange thing and can be concealed in many ways that are not at first apparent.
Not everyone is comfortable sitting at a computer being a nerd like us lot. Most of the customers who buy in my store want to be pampered and served nice coffee and feel there is some substance to the business behind the purchase - these are all parts of the unseen value.
If a claw breaks off a ring and you loose your diamond, you would have far more chance of expecting a replacement from a B&M dealer in your own community than a here today gone tomorrow e-tailer.
These are all factors in the buying process.
Garry Holloway

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results