shape
carat
color
clarity

did i make a mistake? to quick to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emptypoolheadfirst

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I've been reading you all of your posts the over the last month taking some knowledge from almost every one of them. I recently made a very quick purchase for fear the stone would not be available. I'm very novice in the diamond arena. I would appreciate any comments on this purchase that could help.

Marquise .81-Carat Diamond
D - Color
VS2 - Clarity
62% depth
59% table
thin to thick
no flor
no culet
good sym.
very good polish
length to width 2.03

GIA cert. and laser inscribed

was advertised as very good cut by blue nile.

price paid: $4139

I set a budget for 1 carat in the G SI1-S12 range but after she tried on some stones she wanted between .5 and .7. So I took that saved budget and upgraded on Color and Clarity. After the diamond arrives I'm going to have it looked at and then set back for setting. She wants two side trillions. Any advice on blue nile's plat. settings with trillions? Is it worth $1500? Thank you all so much.

I feel like i just jumped into an empty pool head first with this quick decision. Any assurance would be appreciated. THANKS!!

~jumper
confused.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Fancies are tough without actually seeing them in person or having more info. The proportions you listed are great!
9.gif
Table, depth, and ratio are all Class 1A. The finish and symmetry are not Class 1A.
15.gif
That doesn't mean the diamond won't look maaahvelous.
1.gif

Price Scope vendors are asking an average of $4100 for a similar Class 1A diamond.

Have the diamond professionally evaluated after you receive it to be on the safe side. If it speaks to you, you may have found THE one!
wacko.gif

emptypoolheadfirst

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the "only" and great reply. You have made me feel a lot better. I plan on having the stone looked at. With fancy stones is there anything else to look for? Is it just personal preference? Do you know anything about blue nile settings? are they hollow? I'm a big newbie, and I'm trying to do this right the first time. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
We are not ignoring you. As PQ stated, fancies are much tougher to judge. Most of us here are Round Brilliant Geeks.

Sorry

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you probably want to get engaged soon but do not rush the buying process. I bought a diamond which was very good cut and very good clarity but colour J, I got bowled over by the size I could get for the money, a 0.70 which is big in the UK. However, I always wanted a 1 carat but thought it would be years to wait so got excited about getting a 0.70 instead of a 0.50 for the same money. After a while I started regretting it because of the colour. The jeweller eventually agreed to give me a refund which I accepted and am now happy to have my money rather than a diamond I was not ecstatic about.

I would say from my point of view, we are all different I know, that you should hold back a bit before rushing in. I know we all think we will miss that stone at that price but as everyone says on this site there will always be another diamond that comes around, and it may be better. Not saying the one you chose is not good, I never really looked at the specs you posted, just do not want you to make the mistake I did. I really thought I would not get my money back as I was told I could only exchange and most of their stones were of the same calibre. They had some certificated diamonds by IGI but then I had read go for GIA or AGS. I am so glad my jeweller gave me a refund. I feel the diamond they sold me was so finely cut that now I would not hesitate to go back there if I want a pendant with a diamond or earrings. I just want the ring to be a high colour diamond.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I am a RB person. Learning other cuts as I go. Sorry I can't tell you more. The pro will have to do that.

Hope it looks wonderful, you absolutely love it, and everything checks out A-OK!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hey Dez... Naughty self promotion
15.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Looks like Leonid will have to do more *Housekeeping*. We should give him some sort of seal of approval.
9.gif

Maybe Nate will make us one!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results