shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make a mistake choosing rose gold for my ring?

talkinmuffin21

Rough_Rock
We got the perfect lab diamond, 2.6ct color D hearts and arrows. The setting is 18k rose gold, six claw prongs, 1.8mm pave. I picked rose gold because that's usually my favorite metal color for jewelry.
However, ever since we got the ring I've been second guessing myself. I just feel like the prongs are too thick, and that the rose gold on the prongs is creating too much of a contrast. Also, is the band too thin?
Let me know what you guys think!
Wondering if I should get the prongs dipped in rhodium or get them replaced, or get the entire ring remade. So confused and lost.
image_6487327 (7).JPG image_50350849.JPG image_50412801.JPG image_50413057.JPG

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the prongs and rose gold! I think it’s gorgeous !

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a mistake if you love it! Easiest fix would be to have the prongs rhodium dipped if the rose gold prongs bother you.

If you were to completely reset, I would suggest thinking about the following:

A shank of at least 2 mm would give your ring a bit more stability.

The head of your ring is a peg head style meaning that it sits on top of the ring shank. I would suggest looking for an integrated head for the ring as it provides more security for the diamond than one that merely sits on top of the ring. Easier for the whole head to be knocked off if hit in the right way.

Look for a setting with the prongs in white gold and the shank in rose gold. That would solve the contrast of the rose gold prongs with the white diamond.

None of it is necessary if you love the ring as is but just some suggestions. Do you like the rose gold shank? If not, you could find another setting in white or yellow gold - just depends on what you like. Depending on what the rose gold is alloyed with will depend on the shade of rose gold. Some is more pink while others can be more coppery. Again, personal preference.

Have you insured your ring just in case something happens to it? You can always wear it for awhile and see if over time you like it better. No must haves for jewelry other than you the wearer should love it!

It is a very pretty ring and I really like the shape of the prongs. I would give it some time and see how you feel. Sometimes we have a mental image of how things will look and if it looks different, we second guess. I would just live with it awhile before going to the expense of having an entirely new ring made.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
The prongs and especially the prong tips are quite lovely, but I agree that if you can get the head plated in rhodium it might let the diamond pop a little more against the band.

In terms of design and ring style, I would echo the sentiments about the peg head style being easy to damage and get caught on stuff because it sticks up so high.

talkinmuffin21

Rough_Rock
The prongs and especially the prong tips are quite lovely, but I agree that if you can get the head plated in rhodium it might let the diamond pop a little more against the band.

In terms of design and ring style, I would echo the sentiments about the peg head style being easy to damage and get caught on stuff because it sticks up so high.

If I take it to a jeweler to get the prongs dipped, would that affect my center diamond and the band? And how do they dip the inside of the prongs with the diamond already set in the prongs?

talkinmuffin21

Rough_Rock
Not a mistake if you love it! Easiest fix would be to have the prongs rhodium dipped if the rose gold prongs bother you.

If you were to completely reset, I would suggest thinking about the following:

A shank of at least 2 mm would give your ring a bit more stability.

The head of your ring is a peg head style meaning that it sits on top of the ring shank. I would suggest looking for an integrated head for the ring as it provides more security for the diamond than one that merely sits on top of the ring. Easier for the whole head to be knocked off if hit in the right way.

Look for a setting with the prongs in white gold and the shank in rose gold. That would solve the contrast of the rose gold prongs with the white diamond.

None of it is necessary if you love the ring as is but just some suggestions. Do you like the rose gold shank? If not, you could find another setting in white or yellow gold - just depends on what you like. Depending on what the rose gold is alloyed with will depend on the shade of rose gold. Some is more pink while others can be more coppery. Again, personal preference.

Have you insured your ring just in case something happens to it? You can always wear it for awhile and see if over time you like it better. No must haves for jewelry other than you the wearer should love it!

It is a very pretty ring and I really like the shape of the prongs. I would give it some time and see how you feel. Sometimes we have a mental image of how things will look and if it looks different, we second guess. I would just live with it awhile before going to the expense of having an entirely new ring made.

No, we haven't insured it yet. Still deciding if I want to keep this one or change it. I'm considering getting the prongs dipped in rhodium. How long does that last? Hope it doesn't affect the diamond and the shank. Do two tone rings look good though? I'm worried I'll end up making it look worse with two colors of metal on it.
And yeah I already regret not getting it in 2mm. It feels too skinny.
I do like the claw shape on the prongs but I feel like they stick out too much in the top view which was making me wonder if I should get them trimmed down to make the prongs less thick.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m actually more nervous about the ring design as a whole

The head (holding the diamond) could be bent or worst case broken with one good whack bc of the way it’s attached to the shank - it only has one delicate connection point

My other concern is how skinny the shank is. If you think about the metal as “Swiss cheese” bc of the pave, it’s really not a lot of metal and I’m worried this whole setting won’t endure the test of time

talkinmuffin21

Rough_Rock
I’m actually more nervous about the ring design as a whole

The head (holding the diamond) could be bent or worst case broken with one good whack bc of the way it’s attached to the shank - it only has one delicate connection point

My other concern is how skinny the shank is. If you think about the metal as “Swiss cheese” bc of the pave, it’s really not a lot of metal and I’m worried this whole setting won’t endure the test of time

If I want to get it remade without changing the look of it too much, what would you recommend for the prongs?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I totally get wanting to maintain the "look" - just make sure that look doesn't risk you losing your diamond!

Id firstly definitely increase the mm width of the shank to at least 2mm

A few options to increase the strength of the head...

1) Add what's called a "donut" at the base of the head that will increase sturdiness substantially

1657316348695.png

2) Or if the head is integrated into the shank (the band part)...

1657316383764.png

1657316424326.png

3) Or you can add a cathedral - where thank shank raises to meet the head and adds security

1657316456242.png

talkinmuffin21

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it. We went to a local jeweler and picked out a different setting. It’s 18k white gold, with a 2mm U-pave band. They’ve ordered a 6 prong split shank style prong based on the center diamond size and they’ll have it ready for us next week!
With the current setting they’re cutting out the prongs and adding a stone in the middle to make it a band that I could wear as a ring on my right hand!
I feel good about this overall but fingers crossed until we actually get it next week.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
If I take it to a jeweler to get the prongs dipped, would that affect my center diamond and the band? And how do they dip the inside of the prongs with the diamond already set in the prongs?

Truthfully I don't know the definitive answer to any of those questions.

The process used is electroplating. What I understand of that process is any surface that conducts electricity (i.e. the gold) and is touching the liquid that contains the soluble ion form of the metal that you want to plate on top (in this case rhodium ions) will have a very thin layer of the plating metal (here, rhodium) deposited on the surface.

Maybe some other PS'ers with more experience can chime in about how it works around diamonds that are already set.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your feedback everyone! I really appreciate it. We went to a local jeweler and picked out a different setting. It’s 18k white gold, with a 2mm U-pave band. They’ve ordered a 6 prong split shank style prong based on the center diamond size and they’ll have it ready for us next week!
With the current setting they’re cutting out the prongs and adding a stone in the middle to make it a band that I could wear as a ring on my right hand!
I feel good about this overall but fingers crossed until we actually get it next week.

Sounds like a great plan - can’t wait to see it. Please come back with pictures!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results