shape
carat
color
clarity

did i get taken

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jsdog

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 0.63ct G SI1 diamond certified by IGI for $2250. Now I am told that IGI certified diamonds are not as good as GIA or AGS. Is this true? I purchased it at a local jewelry store and thought that it was pretty good deal after looking around for a couple of weeks. I've tried to compare to diamonds on the internet and found similar stones for anywhere from $50-$400 cheaper although it is difficult to find an identical stone. The store has a one year guarantee if a lower price is found on a similar stone, but I don't know if they would honor an internet comparison. Any opinions???

Rook

Shiny_Rock
IGI is claimed to be more lenient on their grading of diamonds than GIA and AGS for the color and clarity. But, that does not mean your diamond is graded wrong. Take it to an independant appraiser to verify the information on the IGI report.

If you find a price at a different vendor you can always try to get the store you bought from to refund the difference. The worst they could do is say no. You will need to find an almost identical stone thought, beyond just color, clarity, table and depth.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Jsdog,

Can you do better? Yes!

IGI, has not earned the level of credibility
which the GIA or AGS labs have.

Does that mean your diamond has been inaccurately
graded? No!

But if you were to have it re-graded by the GIA
or AGS, and it were to receive a lower grading.
The result would be over-payment.

Buy Informed!

hugodrax

Rough_Rock
Yes I honestly think you payed too much for what you recieved 195 bucks more would have provided you with a H&A superideal cut and a higher grade in clarity (SI1 VS VS1) and a slightly higher Carat+GIA cert. now past the item 113968 I put a possible close stone slightly smaller and the price you might have overpaid could be in the range of 550-678 dollars. I guess thats the overhead of the electricity used by the hotlights and the store lease overheads and I dont know how negotiable that spread is since you need to take into account the overhead costs etc..

ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat 0.66
Color G
Clarity VS1
Price $ 2445.30
Price per Carat $ 3705.00
Measurements 5.64 x 5.66 x 3.44 mm
Depth Percentage 60.9 %
Table Percentage 55 %
Crown Angle 34.3
Pavilion Percentage 43.3 %
Pavilion Angle
Girdle 1.5
Culet 0.3
Polish EXCELLENT
Symmetry EXCELLENT
Fluorescence NONE
Certificate Notes INSCRI
Other Notes SUPERBCERT DIAMOND
Clarity-Enhanced NO
------------------------------------------------------------------

POSSIBLE COMPARABLE
Stock Number 1102927
Certificate GIA 12212247
Cut ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat 0.61
Color G
Clarity SI1
Price $ 1572.99
Price per Carat $ 2578.67
Measurements 5.41 x 5.47 x 3.41 mm
Depth Percentage 62.7 %
Table Percentage 56 %
Crown Angle
Pavilion Percentage %
Pavilion Angle
Girdle TN-MF
Culet N
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT BLUE
------------------------------ another possible compare below ----------
Certificate 16279905
Cut ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat 0.63
Color G
Clarity SI1
Price $ 1382.06
Price per Carat $ 2193.75
Measurements 5.46 x 5.38 x 3.48 mm
Depth Percentage 64.1 %
Table Percentage 56 %
Crown Angle
Pavilion Percentage %
Pavilion Angle
Girdle TN - SL TK
Culet N
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Certificate Notes
Other Notes CERTLAB: EGLUSA FULL CERT & APPRAISAL
Clarity-Enhanced NO

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you already own the stone, I would have it graded by an independent appraiser, to see what they say. If the results you get back are satisfactory for you (e.g. say if the appraisal comes back with $100 more value than you paid), then you should be fine. However, if the appraisal comes back with a different color or clarity value, at least then you will have a leg to stand on with the B&M store you purchased from. Or you can do as the others suggested, find a similar online stone (if you use Pricescope, there are TONS of stones on there), and then print out the info and take it into the store to see if they will refund the difference. They might possibly if they already have a price comparison/match policy, and also when faced with a possible return of the diamond entirely, refunding you a few hundred dollars might not seem so bad.

Or you can just be happy with what you have bought, and trust your eyes. Whatever you choose, good luck! :)

jsdog

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info,

I am getting together a file of other similar diamonds from the internet sites and I am going to see if they'll refund the difference. I am also going to have it independently graded.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results