shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get scammed? 0.50 carat SI2-SI3 I diamond $400 Ebay

bt2009bt

Rough_Rock
I went on Ebay to buy a necklace for my girlfriend for xmas. Wasn't looking for anything too fancy but after buying this I looked around and noticed the price seems way too low.

Condition:
New without tags: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or ... Read more
Brand: Jascina
Clarity: SI2-SI3
Style: Pendant
Cut: Very Good
Metal: Yellow Gold
Main Stone Treatment: Natural
Metal Purity: 14k
Length (inches): 18 Inch Chain
Main Stone Shape: Round
Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
Diamond Color: I
Total Carat Weight (TCW): 0.50 Carat Total Weight

That is a copy/paste of the info from the listing (wasn't sure if it's ok to post links on this forum).

The price was $400 w free shipping. The seller has about 1200 feedback in the last 12 mo. All positive, no negative and only 2 neutral with a good mix of high and low dollar sales in the feedback.

I messaged the seller and asked if the diamond was treated or anything like that. They replied fast and said it wasn't but it has inclusions. They sent a photo of the actual one I ordered (stock pic on listing) and it looked good but was hard to tell.

Something still doesn't seem right here. Any ideas or guesses on what's wrong with it?

Is it ok to post a link of the original listing?

Thanks in advance.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Did I get scammed? 0.50 carat SI2-SI3 I diamond $400 Eba

bt2009bt|1449873210|3960366 said:
I went on Ebay to buy a necklace for my girlfriend for xmas. Wasn't looking for anything too fancy but after buying this I looked around and noticed the price seems way too low.

Condition:
New without tags: A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or ... Read more

That is a copy/paste of the info from the listing (wasn't sure if it's ok to post links on this forum).

The price was $400 w free shipping. The seller has about 1200 feedback in the last 12 mo. All positive, no negative and only 2 neutral with a good mix of high and low dollar sales in the feedback.

I messaged the seller and asked if the diamond was treated or anything like that. They replied fast and said it wasn't but it has inclusions. They sent a photo of the actual one I ordered (stock pic on listing) and it looked good but was hard to tell.

Something still doesn't seem right here. Any ideas or guesses on what's wrong with it?

Thanks in advance.

Oh Glob! :nono:
Where do I start?
There's just so much grist for the PS mill here.

Better yet ... let's start here, can you return it for a full refund?
If so, do so.
If you can't return it, let us know.

Either way, click on the KNOWLEDGE tab at the top of this screen.
Then select ADVANCED TUTORIAL.
Read it all.
Then read threads here in which noobs are looking for guidance.

The odds are 99.315% that you have made a purchase that you would not make after reading PS's ADVANCED TUTORIAL and reading Rocky Talk for a while.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hello bt :)

While I respect kenny's opinion on all things sparkly, my position is somewhat different.

Did you get ripped off? Probably not. Unfortunately, tho, you probably got exactly what you paid for - an uncertified diamond of roughly SI3 clarity with a slight yellow tint. But here's the thing on that....

You can, of course, get something better. You can go to a PS vendor and tell them you want a nice diamond in a yellow gold setting - and they will charge you a price starting at triple what you paid at the lowest - and working its way up to a few thousand at the highest. But if $400 is your budget, what you bought is perhaps a reasonable purchase.

Pendants can be very forgiving. They're not engagement rings and, if you don't look too closely, can be completely ok at much lower grades than you'd accept for a ring. And so many girls just want something with a diamond to wear around their neck - your g/f may love it, inclusions and all.

If it's pre-owned, which it probably is, since it has no tags, you're perhaps saving up to 50% on it. Perhaps new, in the store, it might have been more like $800. That doesn't change the quality of the necklace in any way, but it might be the difference between being something imperfect but pretty and quite wearable, and something which is a real dog.

So personally, I'd take a look at it and hope for the best; if your girlfriend is young and not a diamond aficionado, she might like it just fine.

Good luck!

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

kenny|1449874462|3960374 said:
bt2009bt|1449873210|3960366 said:

Condition:

Thanks in advance.

Oh Glob! :nono:
Where do I start?
There's just so much grist for the PS mill here.

Better yet ... let's start here, can you return it for a full refund?
If so, do so.
If you can't return it, let us know.

Either way, click on the KNOWLEDGE tab at the top of this screen.
Then select ADVANCED TUTORIAL.
Read it all.
Then read threads here in which noobs are looking for guidance.

The odds are 99.315% that you have made a purchase that you would not make after reading PS's ADVANCED TUTORIAL and reading Rocky Talk for a while.

Kenny, with all due respect- there are many people, PS'ers included, who pick the savings over the best of the best in stones. It depends on what you are looking for, and of course only buying after you informed- that's the main difference between a random consumer and someone who is on PS or looks here for guidance.

bt2009bt- Are you LOOKING for an amazing, top diamond? Then no, this will probably not be it. Are you looking for a sparkly pendant under a certain price, and you just want to make sure it looks good on the neck? Then you may be ok. Circumstances and expectations are meaningful to a purchase. I have had an AGS E VS2 000 diamond pendant and an ungraded stone three times that size , but pretty with limited inclusions (also an ebay find), and I wear the bigger one more because i like the size and it sparkles enough for *me*. But again to stress, it's up to you (and your GF's taste) on what she is looking for/ expecting and what your budget/ overall goal is. All that said- I really hope it is returnable because that makes it much easier try and find ebay deals with some peace of mind.

After you take a step back to evaluate your options and make sure it is returnable, it would still be a good idea to take it to an independent third party and make sure it is "Accurate enough". It probably won't be an I/ SI2 (SI3 is a made up grade) but to you it may still look nice. You need to make sure the carat weight is accurate. Only after you know what it really is and if you think you paid what it is really worth, can you make an informed decision on if it was really a "good deal". 500 for a half carat pendant is ridiculously low, yes, but if it is a really awful stone than 500 is still too much- make sense? Just go into this knowing that you always get what you pay for and you can avoid being dissapointed at the outcome, whatever it may be.

Good luck!

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

mrs-blop|1449878167|3960397 said:
Hello bt :)

While I respect kenny's opinion on all things sparkly, my position is somewhat different.

Did you get ripped off? Probably not. Unfortunately, tho, you probably got exactly what you paid for - an uncertified diamond of roughly SI3 clarity with a slight yellow tint. But here's the thing on that....

You can, of course, get something better. You can go to a PS vendor and tell them you want a nice diamond in a yellow gold setting - and they will charge you a price starting at triple what you paid at the lowest - and working its way up to a few thousand at the highest. But if $400 is your budget, what you bought is perhaps a reasonable purchase.

Pendants can be very forgiving. They're not engagement rings and, if you don't look too closely, can be completely ok at much lower grades than you'd accept for a ring. And so many girls just want something with a diamond to wear around their neck - your g/f may love it, inclusions and all.

If it's pre-owned, which it probably is, since it has no tags, you're perhaps saving up to 50% on it. Perhaps new, in the store, it might have been more like $800. That doesn't change the quality of the necklace in any way, but it might be the difference between being something imperfect but pretty and quite wearable, and something which is a real dog.

So personally, I'd take a look at it and hope for the best; if your girlfriend is young and not a diamond aficionado, she might like it just fine.

Good luck!

LOLLLLL Mrs. Blop we posted almost the exact same thing at the same time =)

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

I'd need the auction # in order to help you.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

An important note is to make sure there is a great return policy. Hopefully this ebay vendor has one in case you need it. Good luck! :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

[quote="dollyanjuli|

After you take a step back to evaluate your options and make sure it is returnable, it would still be a good idea to take it to an independent third party and make sure it is "Accurate enough". It probably won't be an I/ SI2 (SI3 is a made up grade) but to you it may still look nice. You need to make sure the carat weight is accurate. Only after you know what it really is and if you think you paid what it is really worth, can you make an informed decision on if it was really a "good deal". 500 for a half carat pendant is ridiculously low, yes, but if it is a really awful stone than 500 is still too much- make sense? Just go into this knowing that you always get what you pay for and you can avoid being dissapointed at the outcome, whatever it may be.

Good luck![/quote]
Not good advise to throw away more money.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Dancing Fire|1449880917|3960413 said:
[quote="dollyanjuli|

Good luck!
Not good advise to throw away more money.[/quote]

doesn't need to be an appraisal- i have a jeweler I have been going to for many years that often times checks things out for me, free of charge. Many small jewelry shops will do the same for 20-30 bucks, which for peace of mind alone can be worth it. Maybe OP think's it looks nice but its actually a .30 stone, not a .50 stone, so he wants to return. Or maybe it doesn't matter. If you are still learning about jewelry its much easier to get scammed by smaller discrepencies than large ones, which is why I always think it's a good idea to get something checked out. And we still don't know OP is throwing away his money- for the price he may have gotten exactly what he is expecting. Curious to find out.

bt2009bt

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the fast replies .

Kenny...
Yes they accept returns. Might end up sending it back and thanks. I'll check out the tutorial.

mrs-blop/dollyanjuli...
I was wondering if it was used because it says "new without tags". That would be ok. As long as it looks alright.
I wasn't planning it to be anything big or overly special. Just a decent looking necklace for an xmas present. At first, I was actually looking for a gold pendant necklace with possibly some very small diamonds in it. When I saw this one I thought wow that looks pretty nice for $400
and bought it. Reality set in later and now I'm not sure what will end up being catch. I'm worried that the quality of the diamond will be so bad that it looks terrible. In that case I would rather have gotten her a higher quality pendent with a few small diamonds than 1 big ugly one. Paying more is an option too. Money isn't particularly tight.

Andelain...
here is the Ebay listing number 310860922593. Where do you think the low price is coming from?

bt2009bt

Rough_Rock

Rockinruby|1449880848|3960412 said:
An important note is to make sure there is a great return policy. Hopefully this ebay vendor has one in case you need it. Good luck! :appl:
They say that they accept returns within 14 days. here's the listing number.... 310860922593

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bt -

New without tags means it HASN'T been used, and it may still be in the original wrapping. But it doesn't have the original price tags. Things like this on ebay normally sell at no more than about half what they sold for from the original shop. Doesn't mean it's used tho - in fact, it specifically means it HASN'T been used, as per ebay's terminology. So - imagine that, new, your necklace might have been about $800 (and it could have been less, or far more - there's no way of knowing and ebay sellers set their prices erratically), and imagine what sort of diamond necklace you'd get for that price or thereabouts. It's probably of THAT quality. So - not great quality, but not necessarily horrible either. Alternately, if it's been listed before and didn't sell, and this is a re-listing - its $400 price tag might be WAY less the original price. There really is no way of knowing till you see it.

For what this is worth, when I've sold small, unused jewelry items on ebay, I'm normally happy if I get back 40% of what I originally paid.

ETA I once bought a beautiful white gold antique pin on ebay. It had 1/2 a carat worth of diamonds in it (three diamonds in total), they were beautiful quality - clean and white - in a lovely antique setting. price? $195. So - who knows?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

bt2009bt|1449882996|3960433 said:
......... Where do you think the low price is coming from?

It's probably coming from the low value of that diamond. :knockout:

Can you post the pic they sent you?

bt2009bt

Rough_Rock

Here is the picture they sent. It's not a very good picture. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday the 16th. I'll post better pictures when it comes in the mail. We'll see how goes. If it looks alright I'll just keep it. If not, I can send it back.

__12.jpg

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Jascina has an e-bay store. It's not clear how this seller relates to Jascina, maybe they just bought it from them. There are many similar pendants in the Jascina store, but not an exact match. This is the closest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-5-Carat-G-H-Diamond-Yard-Bezel-Pendant-Necklace-Chain-14K-Yellow-Gold-/281496180102?hash=item418a7ad586

They want $600 for it. Again, not sure how this translates to yours.

But..it's clarity enhanced. Be very sure yours is not clarity enhanced. A clarity enhanced diamond should not be sold as untreated. It's not an insane thing to choose a CE diamond for a cheap but pretty piece but it's a big no-no to lie about it.

Pretty much everything Jascina sells is treated. I think yours is guilty until proven innocent.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am going to say that you don't need to read the entire diamond tutorial in order to buy a pendant for a Christmas gift. But if you return this one (if it has visible inclusions or does not sparkle well due to inclusions), just come back and post a new thread: Help Me Find Pendant. Then give your budget and let the people here post links for better quality items. A pendant wouldn't have to have the same quality diamond as a ring, necessarily, but I always recommend buying as good quality as is possible within the budget. This pendant surely is low clarity (I1 or lower) at that price. And for very future reference, if you ever need a diamond for an engagement ring, come here first!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

bt2009bt|1449963069|3960774 said:
Here is the picture they sent. It's not a very good picture. It is supposed to arrive on Wednesday the 16th. I'll post better pictures when it comes in the mail. We'll see how goes. If it looks alright I'll just keep it. If not, I can send it back.

__12.jpg

:knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

The prongs aren't even. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results