shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I do well with this Peridot purchase?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
One was just sold on ebay at that price this morning. SI1 I believe, with a very short description from someone in the US not stating anything about being a diamond or being lab grown, so would have gone past people screening for such things. I'd include the ad here but last time I even posted photos my spot was blown up. My mother bid on it on my behalf but got sniped at the last 7 seconds. Had I known about it prior I would have told her to place a much larger "highest bid". So it happens I guess, people make errors or don't include all the information and it gets by. Lab created is having a moment now as well so I'm beating myself up for not speaking to her 30 minutes earlier than I did.

Dang ! :(2
The one that got away :(2

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
You cannot equate silk shirts to jewelry, especially a 30-carat diamond piece of jewelry. Sorry, you cannot.

No one puts a 30-carat diamond necklace on auction & only realizes $5000.00 unless it was either one of bad quality. Two, desperate need of money.

One only puts quality jewelry on auction at Christie's, Sotheby’s, Bonhams, or very private auctions to the rich.

40 years I was in the gemstone business. I know.

Take it for what it is worth to you. I hope you take it to heart.
. =)2

Here’s the necklace and they are definitely not quality diamonds. Description says I1 and I2, they have that salt n pepper look and are cloudy
DEFCF1F9-DCFB-4006-83DB-8AB961D3E836.png

Attachments

• E7D8D3B8-C167-43BC-85A8-F0F38B1197EC.png
    E7D8D3B8-C167-43BC-85A8-F0F38B1197EC.png
    559.6 KB · Views: 35

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only ask because I'm new to MMDs, I thought there was a possibility it would depend on the quality of manufacturing or something strange other than what I've become familiar with since I started looking into gems. It's a shame I wasn't able to grab it, would have been a great piece to own.

At $123 it wasnt real.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard about the peridot from Pakistan...better than Burmese?

Both countries can produce top quality stones. It is all subjective which produces better stones. Burma just is not producing like it use too. Where Pakistan is producing large quantities of both world class and lesser material.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s the necklace and they are definitely not quality diamonds. Description says I1 and I2, they have that salt n pepper look and are cloudy
DEFCF1F9-DCFB-4006-83DB-8AB961D3E836.png

Well, there you go. I would not even pay the $5000 for that. But someone did. They made their money here.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Both countries can produce top quality stones. It is all subjective which produces better stones. Burma just is not producing like it use too. Where Pakistan is producing large quantities of both world class and lesser material.
Yes, subjective is true. Some people also prefer the colour of what is not considered to be top quality, the more olive and yellow tones. It comes down to what you prefer.

I’ve seen some _fantastic_ material from Pakistan in the recent past. Wish I had the $$ at the time!

China was producing some nice color for a while recently too.
I have a few Chinese peridot, I found it difficult to get good colour without the black carbon specks though.

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, subjective is true. Some people also prefer the colour of what is not considered to be top quality, the more olive and yellow tones. It comes down to what you prefer.

I have a few Chinese peridot, I found it difficult to get good colour without the black carbon specks though.
Agreed.

But what I actually meant is both countries produce world class trade ideal colors, with Burma possibly producing the greenest Peridot in the world. So, when I say subjective, I mean if a person newer to Peridot got their first top stone from Pakistan, they are likely to call Pakistan the home of the world's best Peridot. If a person has been collecting or in the trade a long time can be more split, but I know many that claim that Burma has or had produced the best. Both counties produce true gems and to be honest you will pay less for a top Pakistan Peridot than Burma. Why? Every stone species that is sought after is more expensive in Burma.

My preference, I am still a believer that Burma has produced the best Peridot. But I love the Pakistan material too.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
55.31 carat Peridot from Pakistan: peridot 55.31 cts pakistan.jpg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
23 carat Peridot from Burma: Peridot Burmese 23.48 cts.jpg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a toss up! :)

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Agreed.

But what I actually meant is both countries produce world class trade ideal colors, with Burma possibly producing the greenest Peridot in the world. So, when I say subjective, I mean if a person newer to Peridot got their first top stone from Pakistan, they are likely to call Pakistan the home of the world's best Peridot. If a person has been collecting or in the trade a long time can be more split, but I know many that claim that Burma has or had produced the best. Both counties produce true gems and to be honest you will pay less for a top Pakistan Peridot than Burma. Why? Every stone species that is sought after is more expensive in Burma.

My preference, I am still a believer that Burma has produced the best Peridot. But I love the Pakistan material too.
Agreed...top grade peridot is not as plentiful in Burma as it has been either, which affects price. I have not seen Pakistan peridot first hand to compare.

23 carat Peridot from Burma: Peridot Burmese 23.48 cts.jpg

It may be the lighting, but the Burmese peridot seems to have a 'glow'. Maybe a touch more yellow also, which may account for that glow.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to dig deep for these pics....lol but this one is mine. 6cts It wasn't cheap it does have a report. gorgeous in person has its own personality. 517533 518876 220352

I have peridot from a lot of different regions. This is the only one I set.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Would have guessed chrome tourmaline.

purchased from gemline/litnon. It was one of those OMG I want that, OMG its so expensive, OMG who cares type of thing...lol. I honestly didn't do a lot of wrestling with myself.

But, this was also during a time where peridot (at least where the board was concerned) was all about mint peridot. I was not a huge fan of the so called mints and wanted COLOR :love:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rokor the stone you have its nice. hopefully you didn't pay much for it as its not the most valuable but still its extremely unique. Set it in something befitting of that uniqueness and enjoy!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I had to dig deep for these pics....lol but this one is mine. 6cts It wasn't cheap it does have a report. gorgeous in person has its own personality. crustacean1.jpg greenindoor2.jpg P1010244.jpg
p1090911.jpg

I have peridot from a lot of different regions. This is the only one I set.

I could easily believe this to be demantoid as mine has yellow and green flashes like that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results