shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I do the right thing???? HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cheri

Rough_Rock
This may be a little lengthy, but please be patient.
My boyfriend brings home some fliers from "mall" jewelry stores and asks me which ring styles I like best. I realize(duh) that he is shopping for an engagement ring. I get on the web and print out a very nice tutorial about buying diamonds. I read it over, but not thouroghly(thinking I had more time). He comes home one night and announces, lets go ring shopping! Nothing is open but the Mall, so we go there. We find a ring that looks pretty good, but we both have no idea what to look for. THis is what it is: 3 stone round brilliant. each stone is a little over .3 carats so TW is .97. Clarity I(1) Color G-H. plain white gold setting. the cut is something exclusive to the store. "radiant star" The certificate was from I.G.I It had the report that gives light analysis. It rated high on those. To look at the ring: it was firey, did not look dead or dull, but you could definately see the inclusions. black spot and white cloudy lines. We paid 2800.00 for this ring. After much research, I decided that we paid too much and could get a much better quality for that price. I took it back. I would appreciate any feedback that would be helpful.
THanks, Cheri

Beeweaver

Shiny_Rock
I found it for you I believe. Is this it from Helzberg? I think you could probably do better from an on line vendor.

1603599-s7.jpg

Cheri

Rough_Rock
Yeah that''s it. I already found it, bought it, and returned it.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 2:38:13 PM
Author:Cheri
This may be a little lengthy, but please be patient.
My boyfriend brings home some fliers from ''mall'' jewelry stores and asks me which ring styles I like best. I realize(duh) that he is shopping for an engagement ring. I get on the web and print out a very nice tutorial about buying diamonds. I read it over, but not thouroghly(thinking I had more time). He comes home one night and announces, lets go ring shopping! Nothing is open but the Mall, so we go there. We find a ring that looks pretty good, but we both have no idea what to look for. THis is what it is: 3 stone round brilliant. each stone is a little over .3 carats so TW is .97. Clarity I(1) Color G-H. plain white gold setting. the cut is something exclusive to the store. ''radiant star'' The certificate was from I.G.I It had the report that gives light analysis. It rated high on those. To look at the ring: it was firey, did not look dead or dull, but you could definately see the inclusions. black spot and white cloudy lines. We paid 2800.00 for this ring. After much research, I decided that we paid too much and could get a much better quality for that price. I took it back. I would appreciate any feedback that would be helpful.
THanks, Cheri
What? Did you talk to him about this before you returned it? Cause it''s coming across like he hid it you found it and returned it!

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
Oooo the things you can get for ~3k! That''s what I just spent but I went with a setting with channeled diamonds rather than a three stone. In any event, you can buy a really nice .60ct center stone for 1800-200 and a nice three stone setting for 750-1000 if that is the style you guys are after.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I do think you did the right thing.

When the vendors aren''t depleted (as they seem to be right now), you could get a .50 center stone, I/J color, SI1-SI2 from a strong lab (AGS/GIA) for about $1,050. Then, two .25 sides of the same combo will run you approx. another 1000-1200. That''s about $2000-2100 on the stones, and the rest for the setting.....simple 3-stone setting.

WAY better quality diamonds that way.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You did the right thing!! Stick around here and learn before you venture out there again. Do you know what you are looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results