shape
carat
color
clarity

DId i do good? Im having doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Webmn0key

Rough_Rock
Hi. I bought my fiance' her ring a few months back. I have talked of changing it, but she thinks im crazy. Im going to lay it all out here and see what people think.
The facts: 3 Oval ring in plain platinum setting.

GIA Center stone is 1.87ct VS2 G it measures 10.01x6.60x4.31
depth -65.3%
width 59%
h - 16%
pav depth 44%
Girdle - Medium Facted

polish - g to Vg
sym- g
culet - none
flour - none

the two side stones total 1.66ct, are not certified but am told are similar color and clarity

My problem. The ring is pretty and drew a lot of wows. to me it looks VERY large; larger "looking" than most womens rings i see on the street and now i look at ALL of them. Im afriad i sacrificed quality over quantity and that people will see the ring and immediately think that.

it was listed for around 29k, i got it at the store for 20k, because the jewler knew i had another ring picked out across the street. Its a reputable place. He gave me an appraisal for 27k.

any opinions? She loves it by he way. It really shines when clean, but wow i can tell a diffrence before and after she cleans it....

help me. should i exchange for smaller higher quality?

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
With a ring as "complicated" as that (fancy cuts, multiple stones) the best thing you can do is take it to one of the independent appraisers listed on this website and have them evalutate your ring. The side stones will be impossible for us to evaluate, as they are uncertified and have no specs at all. And the center stone will be tough to evaluate based on the specs you gave alone. Plus, because of the interplay between center and side stones, putting together an ultimate price might be difficult, too.

However, one of the independent appraisers listed on this site will be able to do all of those things and more (including evaluating flaws in the diamonds and the ring that we will never be able to see). I''m not talking about the insurance appraisal your jeweler gave you, I''m talking about an actual valuation appraisal by an independent jeweler (someone who doesn''t buy or sell stones at all - just appraises jewelry).

Then, you''ll have your answer, and you can be confident it will be a complete one.

Cheekyprincess

Shiny_Rock
If she loves it, and you have given it to her, you can''t turn around and take it off her!!! G VS2 is a nice quality stone- but the quality of the cut would also really come into play. I think it is too late to worry about it- your fiancee is happy, leave it at that!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto what Cheeky said!

If someone tried to take a 3 ct diamond off my hand once I had fallen in love with it there would be one helluva fight!
2.gif

(Seriously, if she loves it and you got what you feel is a decent deal, let sleeping dogs lie.)

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
A PSer? Letting sleeping dogs lie? Whoever heard of such a thing?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA graded G VS2 is a more than respectable quality in my opinion! Fancies are very difficult to judge by the numbers, the eyes are the best judge of beauty with these and a lovely oval is a joy to behold - it sounds like what you gifted your GF with! I wouldn't worry a speck about having sacrificed quality for quantity, unless you are the type of person who truly wants a D IF for it to be mentally satisfying to you ( mindclean!) Then you would either have to find a TON more money to keep the size or go much smaller. I wouldn't do either, but know that you bought a diamond with great quality and beauty which has made your GF ecstatically happy!
3.gif
By the way, ever heard of DSS?? ( diamond shrinkage syndrome?) Guys aren't immune to it either, diamonds DO seem to shrink, this monstrous looking ring you have just acquired could look much smaller in a month or so, the eyes just adjust to the size! You could get an independant appraisal to reassure yourself, especially with the side stones if it helps.
Congrats to both of you and enjoy your lovely ring, I hope some of these thoughts help you.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 9:01:23 AM
Author:Webmn0key
Hi. I bought my fiance'' her ring a few months back. I have talked of changing it, but she thinks im crazy. Im going to lay it all out here and see what people think.
The facts: 3 Oval ring in plain platinum setting.

GIA Center stone is 1.87ct VS2 G it measures 10.01x6.60x4.31
depth -65.3%
width 59%
h - 16%
pav depth 44%
Girdle - Medium Facted

polish - g to Vg
sym- g
culet - none
flour - none

the two side stones total 1.66ct, are not certified but am told are similar color and clarity

My problem. The ring is pretty and drew a lot of wows. to me it looks VERY large; larger ''looking'' than most womens rings i see on the street and now i look at ALL of them. Im afriad i sacrificed quality over quantity and that people will see the rong and immediately think that.

it was listed for around 29k, i got it at the store for 20k, because the jewler knew i had another ring picked out across the street. Its a reputable place. He gave me an appraisal for 27k.

any opinions? She loves it by he way. It really shines when clean, but wow i can tell a diffrence before and after she cleans it....

help me. should i exchange for smaller higher quality?
dude - you GAVE it to her. She LOVES it.

ANSWER: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2006 10:10:44 AM
Author: Upside Down Man

Shhhhhh--don't tell on me or they'll come and take away my PS card!
2.gif

Webmn0key

Rough_Rock
well, she said if i wasnt happy she would change it.

just curious is my size vs quality is reasonable and not too over the top. I wanted her to have a fine ring, and not have to get/want a different one in 10/20 years as so many people seem to do these days. Also our bands are plain platinum and the setting is plain platinum.

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 10:41:24 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 11/3/2006 10:10:44 AM
Author: Upside Down Man

Shhhhhh--don''t tell on me or they''ll come a revoke my PS card!
2.gif

lol.

OP, the prevailing winds on this thread say to simply let it be, especially after you already gave it to her. In the end, I guess that sounds like the best bet. Someone once said that the definition of a "good deal" is if you got what you wanted at a price you were comfortable with paying. It sounds like you got exactly that. I guess I''ll stand corrected on my earlier post.

(But between you and me, I know exactly how you feel. I gave my FI her ring a few weeks ago, and I''m still online looking for a "better" deal. I''ll never take the ring off her finger, of course, but pure curiousity has me scouring the web every day, even weeks after the fact. I''m that personality type, I guess.)

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
As the song says, "dont worry...Be Happy!
28.gif

If she loves it and you can afford it, nothing more needs to done?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 10:45:33 AM
Author: Webmn0key
well, she said if i wasnt happy she would change it.

just curious is my size vs quality is reasonable and not too over the top. I wanted her to have a fine ring, and not have to get/want a different one in 10/20 years as so many people seem to do these days. Also our bands are plain platinum and the setting is plain platinum.
bands being plain platinum is great, I love plain wedding bands. Epitomy of traditional symbolism!

As for the e-ring... they could be the 3 most perfect ovals that ever rose to the surface of the earth and in 10/20 years she might be thinking, yeah but I want a square diamond....... the changes people make are not always about quality... sometimes it''s about changing things up with different sizes etc.

Now, the thing about ovals is that they don''t HAVE an ideal yet.... it''s what appeals to your eye.

And it''s sweet that shed change it for you, but you aren''t the one wearing it. Who needs to be happy here? If you want some sort of perfection, get yourself a round FOR YOU. It''s ridiculous to think that a man can''t have a diamond too!! That way you can leave her ring alone LOL If SHE wants to change something, she already knows you''re willing and she''ll let you know :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
You gave it to her, she loves it...so leave it!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t worry about 10-20 years down the road. She''s happy now. IF you are VERY unhappy then take it to an appraiser and tell them you think you could have gotten a better cut. Ask them to evaluate the cut. THEN with that information decide what you want to do.

You know whethor or not this issue will keep bugging you!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
How about sharing some pictures????

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 12:24:37 PM
Author: Eva17
How about sharing some pictures????
I was thinking the same thing, Eva! It sounds lovely!

widget

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
The best predictor if she''s gonna love something 10-20 years from now is ... DOES SHE LOVE IT NOW? And she does!

I think you''re just having buyer''s remorse ... which is very normal on large purchases ... and it does pass if you don''t panic & do something rash. Have you bought an apt yet? Watch out!

As much as you might want to try to control her "wanting something else" in 10-20 years ... that''s just impossible. People DO change their minds or just get curious about new things or their tastes change ... WHATEVER you pick now has the potential to be out-dated. Just concentrate on NOW. She loves it NOW!

Are you sorry you picked Ovals because there aren''t any "ideal" standards for them and it would make your perfectionistic mind calmer if someone else graded her ring "SUPER IDEAL" or something?

Are you afraid it''s too showy? It seems odd that you''d assume people would look at it and JUDGE it''s quality instead of just appreciating it''s beauty. What is THAT about? Have people around you spent more for lesser looking rings & you think you "cheated" or something? Sounds like you''re feeling guilty for something and I can''t imagine what. If SHE loves it it''s probably a beautiful, gorgeous ring.

Also - ALL rings look better after cleaning ... that doesn''t mean yours is inferior!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring sounds just wonderful.

She loves it. People say WOW when they see it. You feel you got a good deal. Is there anything more you need?

No matter who you are, there will always be bigger and/or better. What you need to evaluate is the "feeling" you/she gets when you look at the ring. Does it bring you pleasure? Put a smile on your face? Is she proud of it? If the answer is yes, then you did good.

Don't try to second guess yourself because you will always be able to find something that is just a "wee bit" better, no matter who you are and what your budget is. Who is to say that if you change the ring, she'll like it just as much? Diamonds are such a personal and complicated thing. There is that un-quantifyable element that makes a stone "the one" for each of us, regardless of the paper cert, the stats, or the cut category. We love diamonds for their uniqueness and individual qualities.

A three stone ring can be tricky and hard to get it just right (just the right size, just the right color, just the right cut, just the right shape, just the right setting). If she loves it I say, just leave it be. For me, I don't think a diamond ring can be "too big" . I could get used to just about anything!

And yes, I concur with other posters that we'd like to see pictures please!!! Yes, definitely some pictures are in order here!

Enjoy your ring and be happy and proud knowing your fiancee/bride is so happy with it.
36.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
She loves it and you want to return it because it''s too big??? Are you nuts? Post some pictures. WE want to see this beauty.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 1:16:42 PM
Author: swingirl
She loves it and you want to return it because it''s too big??? Are you nuts? Post some pictures. WE want to see this beauty.
Ditto. It''s sweet that she will let you exchange it if you are not happy (although the jeweler may have a different reaction). However, if you take it back to get her a smaller "better quality" ring, she is more likely to notice the size loss than the increase in "quality" if she already loves the ring.

My recommendation is to put a Sharper Image ultrasonic cleaner under the tree for her this Christmas. That way, she (or you) can keep that beautiful ring looking its shining best all the time. I have a marquise, which like an oval won''t have the same light performance as an ideal cut round, but boy does it sparkle after its ultrasonic bath!
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__SI814BLU

Upside Down Man

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/3/2006 1:56:23 PM
Author: Kay

Date: 11/3/2006 1:16:42 PM
Author: swingirl
Ditto. It''s sweet that she will let you exchange it if you are not happy (although the jeweler may have a different reaction). However, if you take it back to get her a smaller ''better quality'' ring, she is more likely to notice the size loss than the increase in ''quality'' if she already loves the ring.

My recommendation is to put a Sharper Image ultrasonic cleaner under the tree for her this Christmas. That way, she (or you) can keep that beautiful ring looking its shining best all the time. I have a marquise, which like an oval won''t have the same light performance as an ideal cut round, but boy does it sparkle after its ultrasonic bath!
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__SI814BLU
lol Kay. I *just* bought the SI Ultrasonic refurbished version on eBay after reading that thread from 2005 about how amazing it is. I was probably clicking "buy it now" as you were typing that post.

Webmn0key

Rough_Rock
I cleaned the ring yesterday, that always does wonders for my perception. It really is a very nice ring. Ill try and take a photo to post here to get opinions.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Dude- it's HER ring. She loves it. Move on!
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results