shape
carat
color
clarity

Did dress shopping motivate you to shape up when nothing else did?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m about ten pounds over my "happy" weight, when my body looks and feels it''s best. I don''t eat well right now and I haven''t been nearly as active as I could be. I gripe about it all the time but can''t seem to crack down when it comes to food choices or getting off my lazy @$$.

But now it''s come time for dress shopping!! I''m going tomorrow to what is apparently the largest bridal salon in the state where they have over 1000 dresses in stock. I''m thinking I won''t like anything on me, but I''m REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping that this will be the kick in the butt I need to start living healthier.

Did this happen for anyone else?

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah.

Nothing like standing on that platform, surrounded by mirrors, and seeing all your back cleavage.
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
OH NO BACK CLEAVAGE!!! I didn''t even think about that yet.
40.gif
Just the love handles are enough to freak me out!

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
Definitely! I was about 10 lbs over my goal weight and I felt aweful. I since lost the weight and it was great going for my fitting and seeing how much better I looked in my gown!

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I''m well passed my happy weight
38.gif
I mean like a Happy Meal, a couple of milkshakes, a side of no exercise and a few bottles of wine passed my happy weight.
7.gif

Lots of work to do! YES! Seeing myself look like Godzilla on a platform in a bridal salon did wonders for getting me in gear.

Best of luck with your bridal dress adventure tomorrow. It should be fun! I''m sure that you will be pleasantly surprised that there will be several dresses that you like on you ... the hard part will be figuring out which one you love the most.
9.gif

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously??!!! I must be the laziest bride-to-be!!!

I had tried on gowns and didn''t like what I saw but once I am out of the shop, I forgot totally about it as I was back in my lose tops and jeans.
3.gif
There was once that I chow down a whole double-double In & Out burger with fries and drink before I went into a bridal salon. I literally can see where the burger went to! Yikes!! (Don''t get me wrong, that''s my once-a-mth burger fix)

I promise to try out the "Shred" DVD and open the new skipping rope box that I bought 3 mths ago.....

I do think that once I find "the" one, I will want to look nice in it.
9.gif

I know I am lame!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Made me want to stuff my face with the fattiest foods I could find. But them I'm metal.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I am so struggling with this myself. Seems the more I stress and self talk about getting it together, the more I eat. I am so upset at myself words cannot describe. I really need to get it together.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Ehh, I can''t say that it did. I''m also about 10lbs over where I''d like to be, but I realized that my dress looked pretty darn good anyway. Sure, I''d like to lose the weight in time, but I can''t say the dress was a huge motivating factor. However, there were plenty of dresses that looked awful and those did make me a bit unhappy ... But the right dress will flatter you whether you''re carrying 10 extra pounds or not!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 9:09:09 AM
Author: elrohwen
Ehh, I can''t say that it did. I''m also about 10lbs over where I''d like to be, but I realized that my dress looked pretty darn good anyway. Sure, I''d like to lose the weight in time, but I can''t say the dress was a huge motivating factor. However, there were plenty of dresses that looked awful and those did make me a bit unhappy ... But the right dress will flatter you whether you''re carrying 10 extra pounds or not!
I''m with el--wearing my dress actually made me feel more beautiful than anything in the whole entire world.
So, I ate like a pig on a two-week trip to Greece that I went on right before the wedding. I was terrified that the dress wouldn''t fit, but it did. I just had a wee bit extra of that back cleavage.
And I still felt amazing.

DMBFiredancer

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 7:58:31 AM
Author: lauralu
I am so struggling with this myself. Seems the more I stress and self talk about getting it together, the more I eat. I am so upset at myself words cannot describe. I really need to get it together.

you''re not alone! i thought that i would be LOSING weight once i got my dress and saw the flab hanging over the strapless back....or my jello arms. (spanx can''t help me there!)

but nooooooo.....i decide to EAT to stuff down those emotions instead and then feel WORSE. its a horrible vicious cycle that i (and alot of women, i hear) have been dealing with for a long time.

its a matter of finding something ELSE to "use" instead of food - but its so darn hard!

just wanted you to know you are not alone!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Yep... the lighting in some of the salons I went to was NOT kind! What is motivating me right now is seeing pics of brides in their gowns with awesome arms, shoulders, and back. I really want to be able to look at my pics later in life and think "Damn! I was in great shape!"

I also am hoping to elicit this reaction in FI when he sees me in my gown.
drool.gif

luvbug

Shiny_Rock
Yes! I''m about 10Lbs over happy too and actually wanted to lose weight to even go dress shopping. It''s not fair to have to do that right after Thanksgiving and the Holidays!!!

But yes, the more I think about it the more I want to look the best I can for that day and in that dress. Also, with spending so much on photography I better look good in those pics
9.gif
!!!

Good luck with the shopping trip - sounds like a great place!

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:51:31 PM
Author: EricaR
Oh yeah.

Nothing like standing on that platform, surrounded by mirrors, and seeing all your back cleavage.
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
Agreed. You know what else I don''t understand? Why are bridal gowns so dramatically sized differently than regular clothing (i.e you wear a size 6, but your gown is a size 12)?

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I was dreading wedding dress shopping and put it off for quite a while. However, trying on all those dresses made me feel beautiful and was a huge relief. Even the too tight ones or unflattering styles (on my body) made me feel pretty. Dress shopping made me feel confident that I really will look beautiful on my wedding day whether I lose this 10-15 pounds or not. The honeymoon (swimsuit in Greece
emsmileo.gif
) is a different story.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
in reference to the size issue:

It hasn't been my experience to have waaaay off sizing, but the numbering system makes it seem like a bigger difference than it is. When you look at the sizing charts, most measurements only change by about an inch. Sizes go up in increments of two. So really, a 12 is not twice as big as a 6 - it's just a few inches different. If one company starts their waist measurements at 23 for a size 2 and another company starts their's at 25, you've got a person who wears a size 2 in one dress wearing a size 6 in the second dress.

I guess I just don't think the size on the tag is that big of a deal. You know your measurements - who cares what it is labeled?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
It wasn''t the shopping that got me, it''s the actualy thought of it being altered that has gotten my but into gear!!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I had a distance wedding. I dropped my dress off 4 months before the wedding. Alterations all complete. When I flew back 2 months before the wedding, the dress was snug around my bossom and was too tight, I totally feared back cleavage!!! I flew home and FREAKED OUT. I was on crazy psycho workout mode. I''d run on the stairstepper for 90 minutes. Then I''d do my weight lifting cardio circuit, (barbell bicep curl to barbell squats, to lunges, to pushups, to dips, and then down for situps.... this was just one of my circuits.) I was insane.

I remember going to get frozen yogurt with my FI, and breaking down crying on the way... and told him I couldn''t eat it or I wouldn''t fit into my dress. I lost 2 FRICKIN POUNDS. ONLY 2 FRICKIN POUNDS! I wanted to cry. The scale didn''t show I gained any weight when I went back but the dress DID NOT FIT... and now I only lost 2 frickin pounds!!! So I called the seamstress and scheduled an emergency fitting to let my dress out the week I got back... 4 days before the wedding. When I went to the appointment, I put the dress on... it didn''t fit... but it went the other way... Those 2 pounds turned out to be 2 inches from each side of the dress.... honestly, after dancing the night away, I realized my dress kept slipping down and I was constantly pulling it up for fear my tatas would pop out on my wedding night... well THAT happened, but I didnt want spectators. So it honestly could have been taken in another half inch from each side....

So, the lesson ... sometimes 2 pounds is more than 2 pounds... and sometimes weight lifting can change where you hold the weight. HUGS! and I know each one of you ladies will look AWESOME!
36.gif

Diva0413

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 10:15:25 AM
Author: Guilty Pleasure
in reference to the size issue:

It hasn''t been my experience to have waaaay off sizing, but the numbering system makes it seem like a bigger difference than it is. When you look at the sizing charts, most measurements only change by about an inch. Sizes go up in increments of two. So really, a 12 is not twice as big as a 6 - it''s just a few inches different. If one company starts their waist measurements at 23 for a size 2 and another company starts their''s at 25, you''ve got a person who wears a size 2 in one dress wearing a size 6 in the second dress.

I guess I just don''t think the size on the tag is that big of a deal. You know your measurements - who cares what it is labeled?
That''s how I feel too. The woman who was trying on a dress next to me though... Not so much. She started yelling at the tailor when he recommended she get a 14 because the fabric in the 12 she was trying on was buckling at the hips. Ouch... Now that''s a wakeup call.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 10:34:54 AM
Author: tlh
I had a distance wedding. I dropped my dress off 4 months before the wedding. Alterations all complete. When I flew back 2 months before the wedding, the dress was snug around my bossom and was too tight, I totally feared back cleavage!!! I flew home and FREAKED OUT. I was on crazy psycho workout mode. I''d run on the stairstepper for 90 minutes. Then I''d do my weight lifting cardio circuit, (barbell bicep curl to barbell squats, to lunges, to pushups, to dips, and then down for situps.... this was just one of my circuits.) I was insane.

I remember going to get frozen yogurt with my FI, and breaking down crying on the way... and told him I couldn''t eat it or I wouldn''t fit into my dress. I lost 2 FRICKIN POUNDS. ONLY 2 FRICKIN POUNDS! I wanted to cry. The scale didn''t show I gained any weight when I went back but the dress DID NOT FIT... and now I only lost 2 frickin pounds!!! So I called the seamstress and scheduled an emergency fitting to let my dress out the week I got back... 4 days before the wedding. When I went to the appointment, I put the dress on... it didn''t fit... but it went the other way... Those 2 pounds turned out to be 2 inches from each side of the dress.... honestly, after dancing the night away, I realized my dress kept slipping down and I was constantly pulling it up for fear my tatas would pop out on my wedding night... well THAT happened, but I didnt want spectators. So it honestly could have been taken in another half inch from each side....

So, the lesson ... sometimes 2 pounds is more than 2 pounds... and sometimes weight lifting can change where you hold the weight. HUGS! and I know each one of you ladies will look AWESOME!
36.gif
omg, tlh, I am dying laughing here...you are hilarious.

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes, I knew I needed to get into shape, tone up and lose a few pounds but when I started trying on dresses, especially when they are sized the way they are! When I tried on a size 10 and it wasn''t that big I almost freaked out until the lady said that was like a size 4-6 in normal clothes! But my major thing is I need to tone up my back, shoulders and arms and I started back with my weight training routine the very next day! ;-) It has only been a few months and I have already noticed a huge change and I am happy now, but the way I am, I will continue with my training and I want to be in the best shape of my life!! Especially since I am paying so much for my photographer I want to look great in those pictures!

tessari

Shiny_Rock
I am with guilty pleasure and elrohwen that trying on the dresses made me feel beautiful. I too am 10 to 12 pounds over my happy weight and I never thought that trumpet/mermaid styles would look good on my body but they actually made me look very sexy and really enhanced the hour glass look. So actually trying on dresses did the opposite--I felt that I would look amazing in a dress even at my current weight.

But...it''s the idea of being in a bikini and summer clothes that is freaking me out right now! It''s only week one but my friend and I are doing a weight loss competition (to lose 10 in 10 weeks) and there''s a lot of money on the line. So far so good but I am hoping to keep it up! One pound a week is healthy and doable!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I''m not too fussed about it. If it happens it happens. However, my dress is designed for girls with curves and so I know I will look great either way. The only thing I wanted was to get rid of some arm fat and I actually did that! (for the most part) My dress gives me a waist and that''s all I''m lookin for. Hope it goes well tomorrow :)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought it would but I actually liked how I looked in wedding dresses so I didn''t really do anything about it even though I want to. That was until I met with a killer personal trainer in my gym last monday and she kicked my ass and I''ve been good ever since. She kind of made me see that I really do want to lose the weight for the wedding.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
oh, and yes, wedding dress shopping did motivate me, just not in the "oh I look horrible" way. I''m in the same boat as Meresal - I''m trying to get in shape before alterations.

I also have noticed that I seem to do better with diet and exercise when I get some positive feedback like losing a few pounds or noticing loose jeans. Those type of things make me feel successful and then I want to do even more. When I have gained a few pounds, I actually eat worse for some reason! I''ve never actually vocalized this habit... man, I am weird. I need to work on that behavior! :)

So I guess it''s good that I felt pretty in wedding dresses or else I wouldn''t have hired a personal trainer to make me look even better. I would have just gotten depressed and eaten worse!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t been dress shopping yet, but the *THOUGHT* of dress shopping has motivated me. Along with the idea that I want tons of photos from the wedding day itself. Years from now, I don''t want to look back and think, man I got into such great shape a few years later...too bad that''s not what my $$$$ photos show.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
WOW I guess I''m not alone here!! Good to know a lot of you are like me:) And I totally agree that I get depressed and do even worse when my clothes get too tight and I hate the way I look, but feeling like I have already accomplished something makes me feel even more motivated for MORE progress! The hardest thing is just getting started!

Anyway, about my trip today....

I GOT A DRESS!!! WOO-HOO!! And guess what? I didn''t look bad at all, in fact, I was quite thrilled with the way I looked if I do say so myself:) I so thought I would hate every dress I put on. I''d previously gone to David''s bridal with a friend and hated every dress there. Today, that wasn''t the case. I went in, picked a bunch of dresses, and fell in love with the first one I put on. I then tried on several more and had a few that came close, but they just couldn''t compare. It was one of those "off the rack" places that won''t hold dresses for you, so with the approval of my mom, sister, and friend, I walked out with my dress and veil!! My friend took pics, so as soon as I get them from her, I''ll post!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
And btw, now I do feel motivated, because I can imagine how much better my dress will look minus ten pounds plus a tan!! If I liked it NOW, I''m gonna look smokin'' come my wedding day! I''m hoping to make mine drool as well
2.gif

Can you tell I''m excited?!?!

blackbetty

Shiny_Rock
Oh, my god, it so HASN''T!!! I''ve gained 15 lbs in the last couple years. I found a dress in October & ordered it in a size 6-- although I was a 4 on top & 8 on the bottom. I assumed I''d hit the gym & lose 10 lbs before it comes in next month. I was supposed to get "home-shored" in October, too, which would have meant I could work out in the a.m. like I prefer & not worry about getting up an hour earlier since I could come home & be smelly, then shower at lunch. That never happened, and I instead worked 10 hour days (plus commute) for the last 2 months. I am busting out of an 8 and still am not at all motivated to work out. I''m such a mess!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Hell yeah. Well actually, for me it was buying THE DRESS, I could see myself in it and I wasn''t seeing this weight, I was seeing my goal weight. It looks great now, but I want to be the best I can be for myself and for DF.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results