shape
carat
color
clarity

Did anyone learn swimming as an adult?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m starting the butterfly!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 8:40:10 PM
Author: Harriet
Thanks! This question may be impossible to answer, but how quickly should I expect to progress? I''m on to the breaststroke kick now. Also, how do I become comfortable in water where I cannot jump up? I''m okay in the 7 foot end, but my trainer wants to switch me to a water polo pool! I''d just like to be able to learn sailing next summer, but my instructor wants me to do a 10k ocean race then.
Harriet, my dear, this makes me so happy!!
36.gif
I am so proud of you, learning to swim! And then sailing - perfect!
36.gif
I love to sail.

The pool is a very controlled environment, so get as comfortable as you can there, especially in deep water. Sorry to hear about you almost drowning - geez! I can remember one time as a child where I panicked and forgot how to swim. I failed to kick my legs and started to go under. Is this what happened to you? Did you panic and forget?

I agree with lliangchi - making the switch to open water will be important. Currents, waves, buoyancy differences are all important things to get use to.

On a more practical level, before getting in the pool, saturate your hair with fresh water. It tends to smell less like chlorine afterwards.
16.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 9:09:52 AM
Author: starryeyed
Harriet, my dear, this makes me so happy!!
36.gif
I am so proud of you, learning to swim! And then sailing - perfect!
36.gif
I love to sail.

The pool is a very controlled environment, so get as comfortable as you can there, especially in deep water. Sorry to hear about you almost drowning - geez! I can remember one time as a child where I panicked and forgot how to swim. I failed to kick my legs and started to go under. Is this what happened to you? Did you panic and forget?

I agree with lliangchi - making the switch to open water will be important. Currents, waves, buoyancy differences are all important things to get use to.

On a more practical level, before getting in the pool, saturate your hair with fresh water. It tends to smell less like chlorine afterwards.
16.gif
Thank you! Hmm, didn''t you say you''d take me sailing if I learnt to swim?
2.gif

No. What happened was that there were 4 steps and the pool dipped to 8 ft! I had only just begun swimming and wasn''t sure what to do.

I should be wintering in Miami Beach, so I''ll do open water swimming then.

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. I think I''ll go take a dip.
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2008 4:14:36 PM
Author: Frank82
lol well I first learned to swim at the age of 20 because we were going on a cruise and I was parnoid.
9.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, wintering in Miami sounds great. Sorry I''ve been out of touch - I thought you were a full-time lawyer in NYC? Married life?

I hope we''ll get to go sailing!
2.gif
Keep up the good work with those swimming lessons. I''m so proud of you!
16.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 3:51:20 PM
Author: starryeyed
Harriet, wintering in Miami sounds great. Sorry I''ve been out of touch - I thought you were a full-time lawyer in NYC? Married life?

I hope we''ll get to go sailing!
2.gif
Keep up the good work with those swimming lessons. I''m so proud of you!
16.gif
I was, but it took too much of a toll on my health, so I quit and am starting my own business. I''m still adjusting to married life.

I hope so too. You don''t have to answer, but are you in FL? Aw, thanks dearie. I love the water.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 5:51:13 PM
I was, but it took too much of a toll on my health, so I quit and am starting my own business. I''m still adjusting to married life.
I hope so too. You don''t have to answer, but are you in FL? Aw, thanks dearie. I love the water.
Glad you were able to recognize that your health is more important. Last I read you loved your job, so it must have been a difficult decision for you. What kind of business are you going to start?

I WISH I were in FL! I have vacationed there and have family there. Great beaches for swimming. You may need to be careful of the rip currents and the man-o-war jellyfish - blue with a translucent air bladder that makes them float and long tentacles that hang beneath. Sometimes you see them washed up along the shore, all different sizes. Stay away - the sting is awful.
32.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had help from family and friends (Diamondseeker and Eva included). What excites me is tax policy (geek alert!), so I''d love to get a toe in one of the think tanks. Shh.
31.gif

Thanks for the warning. FL water is still tame compared to Aussie water (no offence meant to the folks downunder, my favourite place).

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 8:31:52 PM
I had help from family and friends (Diamondseeker and Eva included). What excites me is tax policy (geek alert!), so I''d love to get a toe in one of the think tanks. Shh.
31.gif

Thanks for the warning. FL water is still tame compared to Aussie water (no offence meant to the folks downunder, my favourite place).
Would that mean moving to DC? So glad to know you are in a better place. Sounds like you''ve been making the most of your time - swimming, painting, what else?
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, the work can be done remotely. I have been taking life easy recently. I feel like a child again, drawing lessons and all. I do have a next step in mind (which is more creative than tax) and will let you know once it''s concrete. Enough about me! How''s the house coming along?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2008 10:37:14 PM
No, the work can be done remotely. I have been taking life easy recently. I feel like a child again, drawing lessons and all. I do have a next step in mind (which is more creative than tax) and will let you know once it''s concrete. Enough about me! How''s the house coming along?
Good for you Harriet!
36.gif
Are you thinking about children?

Thanks for asking about the house. It''s a gut renovation, so it''s taking longer and costing more than we thought. I guess that''s normal. We are trying to make choices in such a way that if we needed to sell, we''d be able to get our money out. That means no Blue Celeste tile or Calacatta vanity slabs.
39.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid that I''m afraid of the wee ones, except a certain 10 year-old. What about you?

Renovations are beyond me. We have a lovely rental which is in a mess. help!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid of labor/delivery, so we''ll see. I''m not the youngest chicken, so it had better happen soon, if at all.

Are you thinking about buying a place or would you prefer to stay free and unencumbered?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The hubs doesn''t believe in buying in Manhattan, but we are hoping to pick up something in Miami Beach. Will you help me decorate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results