shape
carat
color
clarity

Did a lot of research and this is what I finally bought

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
In this setting.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-diamond-six-prong-knife-edge-engagement-ring-in-platinum/6106

Any thoughts? This is my first real diamond purchase and was looking more for a clean sparkly diamond and willing to sacrifice a bit on color. As I have watched lots of videos and read a lot of articles, I am just wondering if I did a decent job picking out this stone? I am also a nurse and thought this strong platinum 6 prong setting would be a little more rugged for someone who wears gloves often.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It should be nice...let us know what you think when you get it.

We would consider it ever so slightly deep that may be affecting the size ever so slightly (but not really) :shifty: .

Edit ...I'm not big on that setting (but it's not for me). I'm not a fan of those kinds of prongs and that setting looks rather
tall which I wouldnt think would work too well for a nurse. Most nurse we have come on want fairly low set stones so they
can get their gloves over them easier. Can I asked why you didnt go with more of a tiffany looking setting?

Edit again...I looked at their settings and I see that they dont have a tiffany like setting. I only saw 1 that I kind of liked and
it was kind of expensive (and it's only 4 prongs).

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-diamond-tapered-engagement-ring-with-surprise-diamonds-in-platinum/5661

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
I actually read an article about depth today and that was one of my concerns. We had a pretty strict budget that we wanted to stay within and I am hoping that I made a good choice. So what you are saying is because it is a little deep, it might look smaller?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price is fantastic for a GIA Ex 0.9 J VVS2. The proportions are not super ideal, but definitely well within ideal ranges. When it comes to light performance, it may be just fine.

My main concern is cavity, and indented natural. The locations of these inclusions/"imperfection" are unclear and whether or not these have any durability issue long term is unknown. But it is VVS2.... I don't know what manufacturing remnant is.

I personally don't like the wide deviation in the diameter (6.10-6.19) and it scored very good in symmetry..

I hope you get more opinions from experts.

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
I guess I was a little more concerned with having a 6 prong setting. I talked with a few jewelers and I got the advice that 4 prongs might not be great for a nurse. It is difficult for me to see how high the stone would be just from the photos. I guess I should have done some more investigating before choosing the setting. I did however want something that was simple. I wanted the stone to be the star of the show.

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
Perhaps I should take it for closer inspection when I receive it to make sure that everything looks okay. I do have a 30 day return policy from Ritani. If there is something that is off, I can always return it.

Buying a diamond can be so confusing :shock:

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1455756413|3992330 said:
It should be nice...let us know what you think when you get it.

We would consider it ever so slightly deep that may be affecting the size ever so slightly (but not really) :shifty: .

Edit ...I'm not big on that setting (but it's not for me). I'm not a fan of those kinds of prongs and that setting looks rather
tall which I wouldnt think would work too well for a nurse. Most nurse we have come on want fairly low set stones so they
can get their gloves over them easier. Can I asked why you didnt go with more of a tiffany looking setting?

Edit again...I looked at their settings and I see that they dont have a tiffany like setting. I only saw 1 that I kind of liked and
it was kind of expensive (and it's only 4 prongs).

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-diamond-tapered-engagement-ring-with-surprise-diamonds-in-platinum/5661
I actually looked at that setting and considered it. Like I said, this is all new to me and I am learning as I go. I may love the setting when I see it, and then again, I may not. I thought I had done a fair amount of research but, I am not sure that was enough.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the head is too tall, a good bench jeweler can replace it with some other kind that is lower, or boxier, or both. The shank can be reused. (That's if you immediately decide you don't like it and you just return it.)

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
I wonder if having work done by anyone but Ritani will void the warranty? Two more days, I guess I will just have to wait and see when it gets here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nhnurse1|1455756854|3992340 said:
I guess I was a little more concerned with having a 6 prong setting. I talked with a few jewelers and I got the advice that 4 prongs might not be great for a nurse. It is difficult for me to see how high the stone would be just from the photos. I guess I should have done some more investigating before choosing the setting. I did however want something that was simple. I wanted the stone to be the star of the show.

Well, my advice is not to worry since it will be here on Saturday. The not-real pictures on Ritani make it look set high but the
bench may have set it at more of a medium level. No need to be concerned until it gets here and you can check it out. I would
not be concerned with the clarity either. Its a VVS2 so it's way up there. You might want to keep in mind that we are super picky
here on Pricescope and the things that bother us may not bother you at all. Now that we have you all nervous I'm saying
wait and see it.

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Im just so new to this and there is so much to know. I appreciate every bit of information and input that I can get. I'll be sure to post a photo when I receive it

Hipchik

Rough_Rock
Looking forward to pics!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to seeing it soon! :appl: Congrats! :clap:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no reason to worry about a warranty on a solitaire setting. Once you have the ring, you'll only have sizing, etc. done locally anyway. I do think that head is too high, so once you receive it, I would call Ritani and say that the head is too high and can they replace it with a lower one. A nurse definitely needs a diamond set fairly low. I love 6 prongs and think that idea is fine. They just need to make the ring with a lower head. (I prefer medium height, personally.)

Here are examples of high and low (but the low pic is with a 4 prong setting).

diamondsethighstuller.jpg

diamondsetlow1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the diamond will likely be fine. A .90 should face up around 6.2mm in diameter and this one is just a little below that on average.

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
Boy they don't make it easy to upload photos to this site. I got my ring and proposal Saturday night. It was beautiful. The setting is high, but I wore it to work yesterday and it didn't seem to be too much of a problem. The problem I have, is that I am concerned it may be a little too big. When I wake up in the morning my hands, for some reason, tend to be a little more swollen than they are for the rest of the day. My ring fits snugly over my knuckle but twirls around a lot on the lower part of my finger, especially when my hands get cold. It is a 6. I tried my friends on who thinks it is a 5.5 or 5.75 and it seems a little better. I just don't know if it is worth sending back for two weeks. I'm not real sure how "snug" it should be.

Now about the diamond. I am no expert but, I think it is beautiful. It is sparkly and colorless and I really do like it. After everyone looking at my ring at work and showing me theirs, I think I can say that the average person knows very little about diamond quality, and I think most guys just step into a B/M store and pick one out.

If anyone has ideas about the easiest way to post pictures, let me know!

nhnurse1

Rough_Rock
1822.jpg

1824.jpg

1821.jpg

1800.jpg

1826.jpg

Here are some photos. Let me know what you think!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results