shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds under Black Lights

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunnie

Rough_Rock
My friends diamonds were blue in the night club the other night, does this mean her ring is fake, she brought it from a reputable company, or maybe not

chantheman

Rough_Rock
This does not mean that your friend has a fake ring.

Some diamonds have a property called flourescence which will allow them to glow blue when subjected to a blacklight.

Diamond grading labs check for this property and assign values from negligible or none all the way to very strong blue.

The differing degrees will dictate how bright the glow will be.

The reality of fluorescence is that it is typically reactive only in UV light. Direct sunlight contains a UV component. For this reason stones that fluouresce can appear whiter in lower color grades such as I and J. This can provide a real value in a diamond if you find a lower color augmented by fluorescence.

I hope this helps. Maybe one of the experts can explain the finer points of fluouresence.

blingy

Rough_Rock
Dude, man, it means things are just grovvvvvvvvvyyyyy. Far out.
26.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is a D that has medium blue- I cannot wait to see it under blacklights...infact, I never go to clubs anymore- but I will go at least once to see it glow baby glow!

Nihiladrem

Rough_Rock
While an undergraduate I did research in glass that floureces so when it came time to actually find a diamond that is what I looked for after I spent a great deal of time in the sunlight with about 15 H and G color stones that had strong or medium flourecence. I love the affect sorta like a little secret between me and my gf.

Also her favorite color is blue so...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results