shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds, settings, and appraisals in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pbanerji

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m planning on buying a stone through the Internet (USA Certed, probably), and then having it appraised and set locally in Boston.

I''ve visited many jewelers in the Boston diamond district and many have what I''m looking for (platinum rings with small diamond sidestones). Many of these stores seem reputable, but I don''t really have a good way to gauge exactly how reputable. How important is this if I''m having them set my stone? The settings look fine to me, but I''m no expert.

Second, many of these jewelers say that they can also do the appraisal of the diamond for me. Should I let them do it or should I go somewhere else in Boston to have it done? Since I''m not buying the stone from them, can I trust that they will provide an honest appraisal? Or are there other issues that I''m not aware of?

Thanks,
Pratip

8*flash

Rough_Rock
Don't even think of them appraising a diamond you get online. You happen to live in the city with one of the most respected independent appraisers in the country. Martin Haske. Go to him once you get the diamond and he will give it to you straight. Well worth every penny.

pbanerji

Rough_Rock
How much does an appraisal usually cost and how long does it take?

8*flash

Rough_Rock
Martin Haske isnt going to do an official appraisal for a diamond until its mounted in a setting. Once you get the stone, set up an appointment with him and he will take about 45 minutes and charge about $115. He will go through all the characteristics of the diamond and tell you what HE views it as and you can compare it to what the certificate actually tells you. This allows you to feel comfortable that what you actually bought, is what it says it is. He will probably also give you his opinion on what he thinks of the stone.

pbanerji

Rough_Rock
Hmm, so I have to get it mounted before I can get an appraisal from Martin. What's the advantage of going through him, rather than the jeweler that mounts it? My two concerns are insurance valuation and just making sure I didn't get ripped off. The disadvantage of getting it mounted before the appraisal is that I have a lot more work to do if there's something wrong with the rock (i.e. send it back to the diamond vendor, etc.)

8*flash

Rough_Rock
I dont know how much you are spending on this but the #1 concern that I would have is that the rock you got online is what they say it is. For $115 you can get that assurance from Marty, which to me is well worth the money. If it is what they said it is and you are happy with it, get it mounted and then go back to Marty and pay another $115 or so and get the official appraisal. Keep in mind the official appraisal is only necessary if you intend on insuring it. If you arent insuring it, then the first meeting with Marty will be sufficient since he will probably tell you what you should have paid for it "roughly".

NagsHead

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I just wanted to let you in on our experience. We bought a loose stone online (it was a Superbcert, so it was laser inscribed), and had ADCO Jewelers in the jewelery district in Boston appraise the stone then set it in a setting that we had purchased online as well. I would reccomend them. Most jewelers would not set the stone if we were not buying the setting from them, but Aline at ADCO was very helpful and we trusted her. She appraised the stone loose for a slightly higher amount than we paid, then did the written appraisal after the stone was set. I have to say I was a little nervous when I saw our stone walk out the door to be set, but when we got it back, she showed me the stone under the microscope, and I was able to see the laser inscription nice and clear. It only cost us $25 to have it set, and $25 for the appraisal.

pbanerji

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the referal to Adco, I will definitely take a look at them.

So far, I have found settings that work for us at Barmakian Brothers and Artinian Brothers Jewelers. Does anyone have any experience with them?

NagsHead

Rough_Rock
Hi! We have actually dealt with Barmakian before as well. They do have a large selection, and are well respected in the Boston area, but I feel you are also paying for the name. There are plenty of other jewelers in that building that will custom design exactly what you are looking for at a much lower price. I highly reccomend that you shop around a bit more in that building, figure out exactly what you want, talk to some different jewelers and I am sure you will get a great price. Like I said Aline was wonderful to work with (ADCO), and we will be having her custom make our bands to match the setting that we bought online. I hope this helps!
loopy.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It would be tough to find any better than Marty Haske. I would at least give him a call and get his input on the best way to handle your particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results