shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brilliant fire

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi PSers!

I have been looking at this website for a long time and this is my first post!
36.gif

Well, my boyfriend is getting ready to propose soon. We are trying to decide whether to buy online or at a B&M store in Chicago. Other than price is there any other benefit to buying online? What about when there is resizing, repairs, etc?
33.gif
33.gif

Any B&M suggestions are appreciated. I have been considering Dimend Scaasi but haven''t stepped foot in a jewelry store yet.

Nervous but excited to start the official diamond search!

mryan

Rough_Rock
hi,

i'm from chicago and recently proposed and can say buy online! I went with GOG but i'd also recommend whiteflash from seeing others rings here. I did the local thing (jewelers row and also B&M's in the burbs) and it was a good learning experience but I dont think i could of got the ring i ended up with locally or at the price i got it at. (plus taxes are so damn high in chicago!)

oh..we also got sized at a few different local places we looked at so we knew what to order from GOG. it can be fun to listen to the salesmen after you read enough on this board you can tell if they are selling u some b.s. too lol

centy

Rough_Rock
If you want to save every penny possible, you might do a little bit better by buying from an online dealer; however, it all depends on what kind of experience you're looking to have. I started out looking online and quickly realized that I wasn't sure at all what to keep in mind while evaluating stones. You're already one step ahead by having this place as a resource. I figured that I might have better luck by going down to Jeweler's Row and shopping around. It was overwhelming both not knowing much about diamonds and not being sure of the good places there. One of the stores that I ended up walking into was New York Jewelers, and man did that feel like a used car dealership. I eventually found this forum, which really helped, but I still didn't want to do everything online. In the end, I chose to go with Dimend Scaasi based off of the reviews here. Between the couple of times that I went in there to pick out the diamond and go over my custom design, Isaac spent a few hours one on one with me. I think that's huge. Honestly, I think I came out ahead by not going the online route both because of the sales experience and their lifetime maintenance policy, but like I said before, it's all about what you're comfortable doing.

catlwade

Rough_Rock
My BF and I recently bought our ring at Diamonds on Wabash on Jewelers Row. We looked around online - the prices are great, but I was VERY nervous buying a ring I did not try on first. I think we got a GREAT deal - .56 carat (D color, VS1..can''t remember the rest) in custom halo setting for under $2000. We worked with Sylvia there and I loooooved her, and really trusted her. My BF''s brother bought his ring there as well, so she was recommended.

I think you can tell right away if someone is trying to scam you, especially if you do your research. We went into New York Jewelers 3 times to look at a ring I loved, and got 3 different prices - it just depends on who you talk to. I didn''t love the vibe from Diamonds Scassi, but they did have a great selection of what I was looking for.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Buying online is great! any of the PS vendors are fabulous!

but if you want to actually visit a store I would recommend Goldin Jewelers on Michigan ave. They don''t have a website but if you google Goldin Jewelers in Chicago IL you''ll find the contact info.

I recommend making an appointment - it''s not so good with walk-ins because they don''t have display cases that you can browse. Everythings in the back - they really focus on customer service and bringing you pieces that fit your exact specifications. And the prices are extremely fair.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My friend recently bought a gorgeous ring from Steve Quick on Clark.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''d say the primary value of internet dealers is product excellence, vetted by intense users here. Secondarily, coincident with that, you also get good value for the money, usually at the lower end of possible cost options.

Dimend Scasi has not a perfect record, from reading casually here, but a pretty good one...as being both a local merchant (in the Chicago mart), with expertise, and also, sort of an internet vendor (they advertise here). In this way, they are maybe sort of like GOG...though with not as well as a proven record.

For example...Jon at GOG never ignored my request to visit his shop. Then again, I never made such a request to Jon.

Anyway... do a search up on them. They carry, for example, Infinity branded diamonds, vetted here, and this is a triple check for you. You can see these there, live. They are relatively fairly priced, and proven offerings. And, that they were chosen as a vendor by Infinity is a triple check for you.

They carry other stuff, too.

Regards,

P.S. I notice a regular Real Estate agent pricescope writer doesn''t mention them, though. You might ask here why.

brilliant fire

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the feedback!

I think my boyfriend and I will have to talk it over and visit some websites and b&m stores together soon. He is, after all, the one buying the ering.

What about wedding rings? Same recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results