shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds Direct from Alrosa?

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by HDer, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:43 PM.

1. HDer
    Brilliant_Rock

by HDer » Aug 15, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    Was doing some light browsing at Octonus's cutwise.com and came across this diamond: https://cutwise.com/diamond/38870 The seller caught my eye: ALROSA Polished Diamonds.

Did a little searching and found this: https://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=63784 Title: Alrosa to sell directly to consumers.

Looks like they have a site with a diamond search up and running. https://diamonds.alrosa.ru/diamonds/?enter=true

Has anyone tried buying a diamond direct from Alrosa? I've been predicting for a few years now that the Indian cutters may start getting into the retail business, but this looks like more of a wholly vertically integrated operation mine to retail (in this respect similar to Forevermark?).

Combined with something like cutwise this could be really good for consumers, lowering prices while increasing transparency. Might put more pressure on independent retail operations though.

2. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » Aug 15, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    Interesting site!

I can't see any pictures or videos on the alrosa site (and Octonus doesn't work on this computer :( ), so it seems like one has to request them for each stone? (Unless it was just because I was looking at ECs and the other shapes have them?)

I'm not sure what the 'Age' column is - age of sales listing?

@Serg would be the man in the know, I reckon, if he doesn't mind being tagged! :???: :)

HDer and MK Malone like this.
  3. HDer
    Brilliant_Rock

by HDer » Aug 15, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    I think the age refers to date mined. It's surprising to see how many stones take years to sell.

EDIT: never mind. Looks like the age and year values are not correlated.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 6:57 PM
  4. Serg
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

5. Serg
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

OoohShiny likes this.
  6. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » Aug 16, 2019 at 4:30 AM
    Thank you, Serg!

7. EncikG
    Shiny_Rock

by EncikG » Aug 16, 2019 at 4:49 AM
    What is interesting for me is the polisher’s experience n time it takes to cut each stone.
    Frankly, do they really keep track when they reach like a 10,000 caret cut milestone?
    Wonder how realistic are those stats

OoohShiny likes this.
  8. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

HDer likes this.
  9. HDer
    Brilliant_Rock

by HDer » Aug 16, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    Looks like you can go see them in person at the Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair. We were there one year while it was going on. Didn't know it was happening until we got there and am still kicking myself for not getting tickets to it.

@Serg congrats on the business partnership. I see the Octonus ViBox logo on the bottom left of that video

OoohShiny likes this.