shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds by the Yard- style necklaces

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Is there a thread with images of diamonds by the yard-style necklaces? I'm doing some research for a possible purchase. I'd like to see different carat sizes, different chain lengths, and different colors (yellow gold vs. white gold/platinum). I found a DBTY necklace in 18K yellow gold, .60 carats (G/VS), 15" long for just under $1000. I'm planning on wearing it as a layering piece to mix and match with other necklaces. I'm not interested in brand names (like Tiffany) because although they are lovely, I'm not willing to pay the extra price for the name. Please share pics or link to a thread if one already exists. Thanks =)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I'm so glad you shared because the question to go long or short has been on my mind. I go back and forth between long (and 34" would be just about right for me too) or short. The longer one wouldn't work as well as a layering piece, but it looks so elegant worn long or looped twice. Gosh, now you're making this hard for me! ;-)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wearing it long for the majority of the time since I've had it and I think it's a classic piece! Missy has a 32" version and there are several PS'er's w/ the shorter ones. Good luck in your decision!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have a few.

A 16 inch YG with PLAT bezels around kite set princesses DBTY necklace, I think it is approx .70ctw, that I actually bought for my MIL's 60th Birthday from BGD (but I borrow on occasion :naughty: ).

A 16 in .50ctw WG DBTY necklace from BGD (bought pre loved from a wonderful PSer).

For my next DBTY I'm actually planning a 32 inch YG version made with Rose cuts. Total ctw is TBD.

Hmmm...PS isn't allowing me to attach pictures. Let me see if I can come back and edit them in.

_17306.jpg

Attachments

• dbty2.bmp
    425.4 KB · Views: 1,374

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I think that if I go long, I think about 32" would work well for me. I have a strand of Chanel pearls that are 35" and those seem a little long when doubled. Since the DBTY is a delicate necklace, I would want it to fit more closely around my neck (again, doubled ). I guess then the other big question is carat size. If I go short (15"), is the .60 carat going to be a decent carat weight? Obviously, I'd want to go up in carat weight if I go long.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yes .60ctw for a shorter one is a decent ctw. Mine is .50ctw for my everyday Ty and I really love it. By the way my .50ctw has 7 diamonds.

I honestly don't know the difference between my .50ctw and my .70ctw in size at all. But comparing different shapes and on the .50ctw the bezels are also slightly thicker.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, now the seller is telling me that the diamonds are H/SI quality (and not the G/VS that she quoted me originally). My spidey sense is telling me to shop elsewhere - and so the search continues…..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi momhappy, I love my DBTY necklace and wear it more often than any of my other necklaces. I wear it doubled or long-it's very versatile. I don't think you can go wrong with a long dbty because you can wear it short or long. As for what length it depends on your frame and torso height. I am short waisted so 32 inches lays exactly where I want it to and when doubled it is also a great length for me. Try out different lengths for you to make sure what works best for you.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/32-inch-dbty.180091/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/32-inch-dbty.180091/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am taller than Missy and mom2boys and I definitely need 36" for a long DBTY. I think 16" is the absolute shortest for a short one, too, but I'd probably go 17". I am looking for a long one now because I want to layer it with a couple of other long chains that I have. Plus I can double and wear it shorter.

I will say that the prices of high quality ones are steep. WF is always my preference for things like this since they use F-G VS ACA melee. I just can't decide whether to invest that much or not. I do have my eye on a pre-loved one that might work, too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing, you need to be thinking in individual stone size rather than ctw. Because the number of stones is going to vary a lot and therefore you don't know the size of the actual stones.

I have a platinum 18" WF DBTY necklace that I use for a pendant chain, and it has nine 7 pointers. That is too small as a standalone necklace, in my opinion. I'd want 10, 12, or 15 pointers for the stones. I like them set 2" apart in a long necklace. I would do 17 stones for a 36" necklace.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1398436614|3659843 said:
One more thing, you need to be thinking in individual stone size rather than ctw. Because the number of stones is going to vary a lot and therefore you don't know the size of the actual stones.

I have a platinum 18" WF DBTY necklace that I use for a pendant chain, and it has nine 7 pointers. That is too small as a standalone necklace, in my opinion. I'd want 10, 12, or 15 pointers for the stones. I like them set 2" apart in a long necklace. I would do 17 stones for a 36" necklace.

Hi DS :wavey:

Any chance that 18" is no longer serving you? I love 9s and 7s :naughty: let me know if it's my lucky day!

In your opinion what is the smallest size single station stone that you would use for a bracelet or necklace?

And do those 7 pointers poke?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1398442129|3659889 said:
diamondseeker2006|1398436614|3659843 said:

Hi DS :wavey:

Any chance that 18" is no longer serving you? I love 9s and 7s :naughty: let me know if it's my lucky day!

In your opinion what is the smallest size single station stone that you would use for a bracelet or necklace?

And do those 7 pointers poke?

:wavey: No, I love the 18" one for pendants! So I doubt I'll ever get rid of that one!

For a necklace, I'd probably do .30 at least for a single station, but for a single station bracelet, I could go smaller. Maybe 15 to 18 points. But I really prefer more than one diamond on a bracelet...like 5 at least. Then I could go down to 10 pointers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and no. I can't feel the stones in a necklace at all.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone - you've been very helpful so far:)
Can someone please tell me about diamond quality when it comes to DBTY? I was initially looking at pieces that had VS diamonds, but more often, I see them with SI diamonds. The most recent one I found can be modified to 15", has 5 diamond stations with a total carat weight of .80, yellow gold, G/H & SI1 diamonds. Thoughts? Should I look for better quality stones?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
missy|1398435617|3659830 said:
Hi momhappy, I love my DBTY necklace and wear it more often than any of my other necklaces. I wear it doubled or long-it's very versatile. I don't think you can go wrong with a long dbty because you can wear it short or long. As for what length it depends on your frame and torso height. I am short waisted so 32 inches lays exactly where I want it to and when doubled it is also a great length for me. Try out different lengths for you to make sure what works best for you.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/32-inch-dbty.180091/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/32-inch-dbty.180091/[/URL]

Missy - so, what is the total carat weight of your necklace? I'm still having trouble thinking of the necklace in terms of pointer size vs. total carat weight.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just prefer VS quality diamonds. I know all of the inexpensive ones use "SI", but I can guarantee that means SI2 or even I1. I just don't like that quality for my jewelry. I am in a quandry, though, because I don't love the pricing to get platinum and F-G VS diamonds in 36". But I'd personally rather have high quality rhodium-plated sterling with sims than a poor quality diamond one. Crislu brand has been recommended to me, and I recently bought one just to try out, and it really looks fine for a long layering necklace. For a 24/7 wear, 16-17", though, I'd have to have platinum and diamonds.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think that I'm narrowing it down to a 15" necklace or a 30" inch necklace and I'm leaning towards the 30". I'm a small person (my ring size is only 3.25 and my ideal necklace length is 14.5"), so does anyone have any suggestions on individual diamond size for a 30" necklace? I realize that it's a personal preference (and restricted by budget), but I'm just wondering what a decent size would be to keep the necklace delicate-looking, while still being a fairly substantial/eye-catching piece (on a small frame)? Thanks again for any help =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1398525298|3660569 said:
I think that I'm narrowing it down to a 15" necklace or a 30" inch necklace and I'm leaning towards the 30". I'm a small person (my ring size is only 3.25 and my ideal necklace length is 14.5"), so does anyone have any suggestions on individual diamond size for a 30" necklace? I realize that it's a personal preference (and restricted by budget), but I'm just wondering what a decent size would be to keep the necklace delicate-looking, while still being a fairly substantial/eye-catching piece (on a small frame)? Thanks again for any help =)

Missy is very petite, so I would probably go by hers. I would consider 32" because 30" would put both strands right up at the base of your neck. I believe her stones were 15 points, but I would also get a quote for 12 pointers. I wanted mine with 1.5mm cable chain as I think 1mm is too delicate for a long chain. I know mom2boys had 1.5mm. Missy says hers is 1mm, but it looks thicker than that in the pictures.

Missy's has fourteen 15 pointers and you can see the length down and doubled:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Most of my necklaces are shortened to 14.5" in total length, which is a perfect fit for me (it falls below the base of my neck). If I doubled up the 30", I would want the first loop to fall at 14.5" and then the next loop would layer an inch longer. I think 32" might be just a bit too long and maybe 30" a tiny bit short. It will likely be a custom piece anyways, so maybe I could specify a 31".

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, you certainly could do 31"! That is the advantage of making it custom!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1398527376|3660579 said:
^Most of my necklaces are shortened to 14.5" in total length, which is a perfect fit for me (it falls below the base of my neck). If I doubled up the 30", I would want the first loop to fall at 14.5" and then the next loop would layer an inch longer. I think 32" might be just a bit too long and maybe 30" a tiny bit short. It will likely be a custom piece anyways, so maybe I could specify a 31".

Momhappy-Have you decided who you're going with?

Thanks for all the info DS including the pictures. Do you own a bracelet too? If so which do you prefer to wear out of the two?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1398530663|3660608 said:
momhappy|1398527376|3660579 said:

Momhappy-Have you decided who you're going with?

Thanks for all the info DS including the pictures. Do you own a bracelet too? If so which do you prefer to wear out of the two?

I was just trying those bracelets on to determine sizes, so I have not yet bought one. I felt like the 8 pointers were too small and the 14 pointers were nice but not necessary to be that large. I would say 10-12 pointers would be a very nice everyday size for a bracelet. I like Missy's and mom2boys 15 pointers for the necklace, though, so that makes me feel like maybe the bracelet should have the same size stones.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Get the largest stones your budget can afford.

Tried the RC DBTY on again today and had there been an extra 14K in my pocket I would be sleeping with that baby right now. 21 x app. 20 point stones--which is the PERFECT :bigsmile: size. Delish thin bezels.

Tried on the smaller Tiffany DBTY, and, well, no. Or not for me.

I didn't say it first but it is worth repeating: go big or go home.

cheers--Sharon

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
While I'm typically a go-big-or-go-home-kinda-girl, the thing I like about DBTY is the delicate nature. I would like something substantial (and my idea of substantial is 15 pointers), but still something delicate enough to layer with other pieces without being too flashy. I'm sure that 20 pointers are gorgeous, but just not what I'm looking for for this particular project.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1398553628|3660865 said:
While I'm typically a go-big-or-go-home-kinda-girl, the thing I like about DBTY is the delicate nature. I would like something substantial (and my idea of substantial is 15 pointers), but still something delicate enough to layer with other pieces without being too flashy. I'm sure that 20 pointers are gorgeous, but just not what I'm looking for for this particular project.

Of course. It will be lovely. :))

diamondygirl

Rough_Rock
hi everyone! these are great necklaces and so wearable! i have a different kind of DBTY, it's called a pirouette chain. DH had it modified with sapphires :)

_17413.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results