shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds at Night (Outdoor in Winter)

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
I'm considering an outdoor proposal during winter, though I'm still learning about how different lighting conditions affect a diamond...

Say it's night time during Winter. With all the snow around and city lights, what kind of light do you get out of a diamond? Is it too dark? Will the low level of light reflecting from the snow not be enough for it to shine? Will the reflections along with spot lighting from nearby outdoor lights create fire?

If I were to propose during a walk or ice skating (outdoors), I don't want the stone to look like a dud because there isn't enough light. Has anyone paid particular attention to how diamonds behave outside at night/sunset? I'm not a fan of a ring box with a light in it - my personal opinion is that it seems tacky. It's a solitaire 0.5ct BGD signature diamond, if that matters at all. This won't be a deciding factor in how I propose, but it could impact where I stand or something (ie near a lightpost or far away) and I'd like to get a general idea if there is anything I can do to add a little extra life to it at night. Thanks! :)

(Yes, I know she will be wearing gloves, but I don't expect we'd stay in the cold too long after the proposal anyway. And any extra Winter proposal tips are of course warmly welcomed!)

PreppyPeppyTiff

Rough_Rock
Trust yourself and your winter wonderland proposal!!!!!!
Yourfuture fiance won't be focused on the ring...instead she will be focused on the moment :appl: :appl: :appl:
Congratulations and Happy Proposal :wavey:

StoopidMonkey

Shiny_Rock
Funny you should mention that as I was wondering the exact same thing. I might scout out the area a few days ahead of time to see if I can find a good spot. The bad news (minor as it is) is that there is a new moon on Christmas Eve so there will be no moonlight assist around that week at all. I intend to find an area all decked out with Christmas lights and I'm sure there will be plenty of street/park lamps and the like. Plan B is do pop it at dinner. What you -could- do, just in case the lighting is sub-par is carry a small flashlight in your jacket and say something to the effect of "If you think it's pretty now, look at this!". But yes that's an afterthought to be considered after enjoying the moment itself. Good luck!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
the ring will be coming inside soon enough after the proposal, where it will sparkle like mad. I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
mjertl|1321156677|3060669 said:
the ring will be coming inside soon enough after the proposal, where it will sparkle like mad. I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

True words. The proposal will likely be just before dinner, actually. Some nice candle light should do the trick.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results