shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds at Amazon.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Have you guys seen an announcement at Amazon?

I checked a few options diamond engagement rings.

Selected 1 carat round diamond, H SI2 good cut with 14K gold solitaire (about $100) for $3,455. Go to description. It says:
Minimum Carat total weight: 0.95 carats
Certificate type: IGI
Setting: 4-prong classic-solitaire-style
Stone shape: round-brilliant-cut
Minimum color: H
Minimum clarity: SI2
Cut: good-cut

As you can see parameters are not exact and instead of 1 ct stone you can get 0.95 ct with IGI report. No information on proportions, measurements, polish and symmetry.

Did a Pricescope search for 0.95 - 0.99 carat H SI2. Prices starts from $2,251 for 0.95 EGL graded stone up to $4,000 for 0.99 GIA or AGS graded stones.

Another option: 1ct, G VS2, ideal cut for $5,560. On description page they specify IGI and AGS reports. Minimum weight is 0.95 ct again.

Cut described as following:
-----
The cut, proportions, and symmetry of the diamond is excellent to ideal, allowing maximum brilliance and fire. Nearly all of the light that enters through the table, or top facet, of the diamond will reflect back out, providing exceptional brilliance. The table percentage for this diamond, meaning the width of the table compared to the diamond’s total width, is 51.4-59.5%, and the depth percentage, or total height of the diamond compared to its total width, is 58.5-64.5%. These excellent proportions allow angles that break light into rainbow colors, producing the dispersion or fire that makes diamonds so alluring.
------
I didn’t find any AGS ideal diamonds in 0.95 – 0.99 ct range on PS. 1.0 ct AGS or GIA ex/ex start from $5,000 and up to $6,200 for H&A

It would be interesting if someone would buy a diamond from Amazon it and get the real grades.

Mark Turnowski

Rough_Rock
Having recently visited the Amazon site I find it extremely interesting that they would list their diamonds with the wrong weights attached. It seems that Amazon has a specific margin requirement built into their costs and the only way they can justify their prices is list a diamond that weighs .95pts. as a 1.00ct. In addition where/what are the specs. I think they owe it the the public to list as much information as possible. Perhaps they believe that the public will assume that because it originates from amazon it must be priced well. I think the majority of us will see thru that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe Blue Nile and some other online sites do that as well for things like earrings. 1ctw and it lists something like "min weight at .98". Interesting considering that people just think they want that magic carat weight, and aren't even realizing that if the stones were really .50c or over, they'd pay an inflated rate. However the pricing is inflated enough to LOOK like 1ctw pricing when they are really getting something just shy and therefore much cheaper should they buy separate. It's a tricky game!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results