shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond with a crack

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Is there any value on a diamond with a crack in it?

This stone has a $5500. appraisal & it's sparkly, white & clear, a 1.08ct marquise that's really beautiful, except for the crack which is in the lower half of it.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea if it has any value.
:confused:

Thank you,

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Tarams, are you sure that's a crack, and not a reflection of the girdle showing up in the lower half, about 2/3rd's the way down?

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
The stone looks fine without 10x, but with, I was able to see an extremely small "chip" in the table (can't feel it with finger), and from the chip runs an internal crack. It's pretty much vertical (holding a marquise North & South), and in the lower 1/3.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Well, to answer your original question, if it's a diamond, it has value. Don't throw it away. Most diamonds have imperfections of one sort or another.

You need to have it appraised. It will probably cost you somewhere between $75 to $125 to have it done.

The "crack" you're describing sounds like it might be a laser drill enhancement. It would have a small "hole" at the entry point, and then would look like a frosty white line extending down into the diamond (when viewed from the side).

The only way to know for sure is to have it appraised.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
I thought clarity enhanced diamonds showed as a color (maybe blue?) under magnification?
This one looks like an ex wife took an ice pick to it, LOL!:wavey:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
There's two different types of clarity enhancement. Then one I described was "laser drilling". The one you mentioned with the blue flash is "fracture filling".

The "ice pick" description sounds reminiscent of laser drilling.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results