shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond wedding band to go with solitaire ring

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
I am having a really difficult time deciding on a wedding band. I think I want a 2.5mm pave diamond band with 5 pointers, but part of me is worried it will look too wide with my wedding band. I have a 2mm band, which is definitely thinner than I would like, but I'm having a hard time picturing what a 2.5 mm band with diamonds will look like. Does anyone have a picture comparing 2 rings of those widths?

I also went to Tiffany's a while ago to try on rings and tried on some of their diamond bands. I thought the 2.2mm 3 pointer band looked too narrow, but the 3mm band looked too wide. The first picture is my 2mm band, second is the 2.2mm and 3rd is I think a 3mm band. Would my ring solitaire look good with a 2.5mm band? TIA

Also, it was soo hard to take clear photos in Tiffany's!
IMG_20191022_093054.jpg IMG_20190728_142525.jpg IMG_20190728_142442.jpg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the narrow band looks perfect. Your diamond ring is beautiful & doesn't need to be overpowered. Keep it simple, then jazz up later with anniversary bands that you can switch in & out as the mood takes.

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
I think the narrow band looks perfect. Your diamond ring is beautiful & doesn't need to be overpowered. Keep it simple, then jazz up later with anniversary bands that you can switch in & out as the mood takes.
Thanks, I think it looks nice as well, but prefer something wider for when I wear it on its own!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the bands in the first and second pictures with the solitaire. If you were planning on always wearing it alone (as in a right hand ring) I'd choose the one in the third picture. Since you'd like to switch off, I think a 2.5mm would look perfect with the solitaire and would still look nice worn alone.

m1918

Shiny_Rock
I like all the bling in the third picture! I don’t think you can go wrong though!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @i_want_sparkly :))

I like the plain bands you were trying on some months ago. I'd do a plain band, but then I'd get a 2.5mm or maybe a 2.7mm anniversary band on my first anniversary to wear with them, which you could also wear alone. I agree, 3mm is too wide for your e-ring. But you could probably go as far as 2.75mm (7 point stones) and I think it would look lovely.

However, I'd have it custom made and make sure the melee went with your e-ring. In these photos, the melee in the wedding rings is noticeably whiter than your e-ring stone, and I think your e-ring is gorgeous, so I wouldn't want anything clashing with it or dimming it.

Just a few thoughts.

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Hi @i_want_sparkly :))

I like the plain bands you were trying on some months ago. I'd do a plain band, but then I'd get a 2.5mm or maybe a 2.7mm anniversary band on my first anniversary to wear with them, which you could also wear alone. I agree, 3mm is too wide for your e-ring. But you could probably go as far as 2.75mm (7 point stones) and I think it would look lovely.

However, I'd have it custom made and make sure the melee went with your e-ring. In these photos, the melee in the wedding rings is noticeably whiter than your e-ring stone, and I think your e-ring is gorgeous, so I wouldn't want anything clashing with it or dimming it.

Just a few thoughts.
You think the small diamonds look whiter in all 3 pictures or just in the two from Tiffany's? Because I agree there is definitely a very noticeable difference in the last two pictures, but I personally can't see a difference in the first picture. I would definitely get h/i melee; the first picture has h color melee.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the narrow band the best but they all look great.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
I think the rings in the first picture look perfect together! Since you already own that band, what about buying another one just like it. That would give you several options. You could wear the two diamond bands together on days you don't want to wear your ering giving you 4mm width of diamonds. And you could also stack a band on either side of your ering or both of them below the ering when you really want to feel blingy. The height and width of your current band is just so flattering with your ering. Wearing two of them without the ering will give you more diamond coverage than a 3mm band would. Win, win in my opinion! :dance:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I agree with BMI and would suggest another 2mm diamond band.
I really like the look of that 2mm with your soli.

One thing to also consider is the height of the diamond bands. Your 2mm sits flush against the e ring. As you go up in pointers, the bigger the diamond and therefore higher the band will sit. This will make the gap between the band and e ring more noticeable. If that doesn’t bother you, then it’s ok.

JaneDough

Rough_Rock
This is the look I want for my future wedding band! I like your first band it is beautiful and doesn’t take away from your solitaire.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the largest band. I think you’ll appreciate the presence as time goes on. I think why is doesn’t look perfect in the pic is that it’s not in your exact size.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the smallest with your ring best but I would get the largest.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the middle band! Second choice would be the first band.

They all look nice though.

i_want_sparkly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyones' opinions! Right after I made this post I bought a pair of calipers and measured my rings and to my shock and disappointment, my engagement ring band didn't measure to be as wide at BGD website says it is supposed to be. I measured the band at its widest point to be only 1.8mm wide rather than 2 and 1.5(ish)mm at the bottom rather than 1.8mm . To me this seems like an unreasonable discrepancy since some ring measurements (on bgd website) are specified down to even the hundredth of a millimeter, so a margin of error of 2 to 3 tenths of a millimeter seems insane. (I always thought it looked narrow but I just assumed my other 2mm rings were just a bit too wide; how wrong I was!)

I've sent the ring back to bgd and am hoping they redo it to be the correct width and then I'll just have to try wedding bands on again!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results