shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond vs. Ruby E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChiTownGirl

Rough_Rock
Hello All:

First time post, I really need some help!

My fiancé and I have been struggling with finding the perfect E-ring. A round solitaire diamond has been our first choice until we started to learn about other options for E-rings.

Now we are struggling between a Diamond or Ruby.

My desires:

** Want the most sparkle possible

** Great quality --- size isn’t that much of an issue for me

Also, which one (diamond or ruby) would hold its value more?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

ChiTownGirl

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love rubies but think a diamond is safer. I think ruby side stones could be gorgeous though...maybe even ruby hearts set side ways so the pointed ends are at the ends, and the two curves of the heart shape touch the round diamond. That could be different! And it combines both in an unusual way. I think you just might tire of a ruby center stone and this way, side stones are easy to change down the line and you could remount them into something else!

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
well you said it, most sparkle as possiblle, that would be a diamond!
I do like DIamondfan suggestion.. have both!!! ruby sidestones is a great idea!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I''d love a really great ruby - I find diamonds a bit boring unless they are huge or very unusually. I prefer them as accents and sidestones.

However, a good ruby will cost more than a similar quality diamond. How perfectionist are you? I have seen very few rubies that I really covet. Timmy''s one was gorgeous, but he spent nearly a year searching and had a budget way in excess of mine.

What does your heart tell you? I''m coloured stones all the way.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
either one would be a great choice!

max sparkle -> diamond

great quality -> as stated, will be more expensive for a fine ruby. also a fine ruby will be much harder to find and judge online than a fine diamond. although if you''re looking for a round there should be quite a selection compared to other cuts.

value, i''m not quite sure but i believe a fine untreated ruby may? although with a diamond many shops will offer trade-in/upgrade policies.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, another colored gem fan here...so much more unusual and interesting than diamonds! (IMO..
1.gif
)

Have you considered fine red spinel? They can be gorgeous, and a bit more affordable. Here''s one from here: http://www.preciousgemstones.com/ 2.64cts, $1250/ct:

2.64  1250ct.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
....and, if you''re curious about price trends, here are somre interesting charts I found at the website linked above.

(Note that these are for ''top-o-the-line'' un heated gemstones.)

widget

20070324gfpricechart.jpg

ChiTownGirl

Rough_Rock
What does my heart tell me... I have always liked diamonds until I started to learn about Conflict Diamonds. That is one of the reasons why we started to look into other stones. Now, we are even more confused.

I do like the idea of having color .. Maybe we''ll end up with the best of both worlds... Diamonds sourced from a reputable jeweler and some sort of color stone.

However, do find a larger color stone with diamonds has a very vintage / royal look ...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
How about a diamond cause you want lots of sparkle but with ruby side stones because you like the idea of rubies. Or a ruby center stone with diamonds on the side. I think either would be lovely.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2007 8:34:44 PM
Author: innerkitten
How about a diamond cause you want lots of sparkle but with ruby side stones because you like the idea of rubies. Or a ruby center stone with diamonds on the side. I think either would be lovely.

This is what I would suggest too.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
great suggestion Widget!!

Red Spinel''s can have the perfect color of a ruby if you look and are so beautiful!

In fact, I''m sizing up a graduation present for myself a red spinel to place in a antique ring!!!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
If you are considering a very fine ruby, you have a much higher likelihood of buying a "blood" ruby than a "blood" diamond.

http://www.minesandcommunities.org/Action/press561.htm

There is a lot of material you can read on this subject; ranging from if embargoes work, to more detail on the atrocities of the Burmese government. Keep in mind, you can find nice rubies from outside of Burma as well.

ChiTownGirl

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for sharing that article.

I’m very happy to see Tiffany & Co. evolved with social issues. I will continue to purchase jewelry from them …

31.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond with red side stones (she shouts)!!

No bias here at all...........
12.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
this is my five year anniversary ring. how about something like this?

kemmaruby5.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
another view

kemmaruby6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results